Unsolicited Early Impressions of the Aquitaine from an Unknown Yank

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Unsolicited Early Impressions of the Aquitaine from an Unknown Yank

Post by NationOfLaws »

Shut up! Shut up, you American. You always talk, you Americans, you talk and you talk and say 'Let me tell you something' and 'I just wanna say this.'

-Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life
Let me tell you something. I really like this watch. It’s a small miracle that I do, really, since I spent the intervening moments between placing the order and actually receiving the Aquitaine learning a lot about watches, reading and watching lots of reviews about this and other watches, buying watches, selling watches. I’ve heard good things about the Aquitaine, I’ve heard bad things about the Aquitaine, and I had no real idea how I’d actually like it when it showed up.

I just wanna say this: it’s a winner.
It’s a hefty watch. It feels more substantial on the bracelet than my Sealander does (makes sense: Aquitaine is larger with a wider bracelet). But the weight is nicely distributed and the bracelet is very comfy. I’ve heard the screws to remove links are a bit tricky to work with but I had CW resize it for me so I can’t speak to that. I was surprised CW didn’t include the links they removed, however.
The bezel is great to my eyes. Mine lines up as you’d expect a $1200 watch bezel to. It’s clicky and loud and has only the smallest bit of backplay. Little enough, in fact, that I almost didn’t mention it. I can see how some are disappointed by the text or the lume on the bezel. I’m not but I don’t care at all about lume, and the text looks good to me.

The keyless works are… weird. Dry Marshal is pointless, really, as others have pointed out since it’s not noticeable under anything but intense scrutiny. One concern or question I have is around the winding: it seems like it is pretty tight when I wind it. It doesn’t really feel like other watches I own. Is this the messed up winding mechanism others have experienced or am I unclear on how that should feel? If it is defective, is it fine to just wear the watch a few minutes to let the automatic winding works start the watch and then set the time, or should I send it back?

The dial is beautiful. I was worried it’d be a weird blue, but I think it’s perfect. It catches the light in surprising ways that shifts its hue from deep navy to brilliant and bright metallic. The red text and second hand decoration are nice pops of color, and the indices and hands are finished nicely. The boxed sapphire crystal is retro enough to create some interest but never crosses the line into gimmicky territory.

One other quick note: I had CW engrave my kids’ initials on the caseback. Kind of a waste, really, since the engraving is minuscule enough to practically require a loupe to read, but you know what? I know it’s there.

I mentioned in another thread that this watch has jumped to the top of my stable of watches (do you jump to the top of a stable? Probably not. The front? Anyway.) it’s comfy and well-balanced and it is classy enough not to embarrass me in front of my fancy friends (mostly because I have no friends fancy or otherwise), but unassuming enough that I can wear around town without feeling loud.

So those are my first night impressions. If you made it to the end, I applaud your patience. Thanks for reading.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesDavid. SMiniMpi
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Unsolicited Early Impressions of the Aquitaine from an Unknown Yank

Post by tikkathree »

I hope that some of your questions are rhetorical or tongue in cheek: wear your new watch and enjoy it. It's easy sometimes to think "is this correct?" "is this how it's supposed to be?" "does mine have a fault which doesn't impede its normal operation?"

Can we see the case back engraving please?

What else you got in the stable?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 am I hope that some of your questions are rhetorical or tongue in cheek: wear your new watch and enjoy it. It's easy sometimes to think "is this correct?" "is this how it's supposed to be?" "does mine have a fault which doesn't impede its normal operation?"

Can we see the case back engraving please?

What else you got in the stable?
I guess I’m asking whether my watch has the spinning rotor syndrome, how to diagnose it, and whether it even matters if it does have SRS. If it has it but its presence doesn’t impede normal use or invalidate the warranty, I don’t care.

I’ll post photos of the engraving tomorrow. The loupe comment was a bit flip but the text is small.

I’m planning a proper SOTC post once my collection is in its steady state. I have a Sealander sapphire LE en route and plan to decide between it and the standard white. For now, though, I have (listed in order of acquisition):
  • Tudor Submariner my father gave me as a college graduation gift
  • Bulova C90462 I bought when I got my first job, but that I can’t wear because I lost the integrated bracelet links that I had removed and can’t find replacements.
  • Vintage Benrus B01 my father gave me as a gift
  • Vintage Omega Seamaster I bought when I got a promotion one year
  • A Russian watch my wife bought me for Father’s Day 2020
  • Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 (selling this - anyone want it?)
  • C63 Sealander GMT in white
  • Monta Atlas GMT in blue
  • Oris Artelier chronometer
  • C65 Aquitaine in blue
  • C63 Sealander GMT sapphire LE (hasn’t arrived yet)
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

I didn’t realize until just now that the thread I linked has a video of SRS happening. That’s not what’s going on with my watch so I’m all set and am not worried.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

This is a watch forum - unsolicited impressions are always appreciated especially with pics :thumbup:

Removed links should be included with the watch so a quick e-mail to CS and they will put them in the post, no idea why they miss this so often (a couple of times a year going by reports on the forum) Maybe one of the technicians just likes collecting loose links :lol:
These users thanked the author suicidal_orange for the post:
NationOfLaws
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

Good to read your impressions and glad it meets (exceeds?) your expectiations :D
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve got to give you a thumbs up purely for the Monty Python quote! And “unknown yank” - sounds like a reference to a college hook-up after one too many beers! :lol:

Great initial write-up on the the watch. I’m eagerly awaiting more pics and your eventual SOTC post.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
NationOfLawsrkovars
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 am And “unknown yank” - sounds like a reference to a college hook-up after one too many beers! :lol:
I need a proofreader
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Great review. I get so bored of YouTube reviews that just tell me the specs of a watch and little else. This review tells me what the experience is of owning one. Thanks :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
NationOfLaws
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Back play, eh, “Little enough that I almost didn’t mention it.”

I wonder when little enough becomes enough; where is the rubicon or tipping point?

I have a vested interest in back play as my signature alludes. 😉😂😂😂

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

strapline wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:49 pm Back play, eh, “Little enough that I almost didn’t mention it.”

I wonder when little enough becomes enough; where is the rubicon or tipping point?

I have a vested interest in back play as my signature alludes. 😉😂😂😂

Des
A review I read on Reddit mentioned the bezel had done squishiness but I didn’t experience that.

Interestingly, after a long night at the bar when I was in college, I did meet an unknown yank who preferred a little backplay.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
rkovarsjkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

NationOfLaws wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:50 am I didn’t realize until just now that the thread I linked has a video of SRS happening. That’s not what’s going on with my watch so I’m all set and am not worried.
It is pretty easy to tell. It could be just a little stiff and the feel will change as it breaks in. Just shaking it until it starts - there are two points to mention here. First is that doing this you are at the bottom of the PR and that is usually where the accuracy is the worst. If you are an accuracy nut then this method is probably not for you. Second is that keep in mind that it takes anywhere between 1200 and 1500 rotor turns to get a full PR charge. Unless you are pretty active it is likely that you won't top it up. I usually give mine 20 -25 crown turns from a dead stop then set it. Not trying to discourage the practice as in the end it doesn't really matter. It is just a matter of setting expectations.

Great real world review. Looking forward to the SOTC. Out of the gate with a Tudor Sub was a pretty good start to it all! :thumbup: That is one I kick myself over almost daily. When I was in the Navy I could have picked one of those up through the exchange for about $750 new. Ahhhhh the good old days!
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
NationOfLawsMiniMpi
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Some quick shots of the engraving on the back.

These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

That sapphire case back doesn't leave much room. Although, it is also like you say, a subtle detail that you know is there that unless someone looked closely they might miss it. That in itself is kind of cool.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:57 pm That sapphire case back doesn't leave much room. Although, it is also like you say, a subtle detail that you know is there that unless someone looked closely they might miss it. That in itself is kind of cool.
For sure - let me be clear: I’m not complaining at all. Just a heads up for other buyers.