These users thanked the author angusbon for the post:
albionphoto
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Interesting points

Post by NationOfLaws »

I watched that and really thought it spoke more to the problems with having a couple review units travel around than it did with CW’s quality control in general. But Maybe I’ll change my tune when mine arrives (hopefully today)
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

NationOfLaws wrote:I watched that and really thought it spoke more to the problems with having a couple review units travel around than it did with CW’s quality control in general. But Maybe I’ll change my tune when mine arrives (hopefully today)
I did think that would be brought up, and it's a valid point.
There are points he brought up that aren't related to review models.
Hope you enjoy your new watch mate

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Full disclosure: I watched it at like 3 AM while rocking a newborn to sleep, but it seemed to me like it was some review unit gremlins, a slightly misaligned bezel, lume that he didn’t prefer, and then some subjective things, right?

I might be missing some more though.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

That review is a real shame. Review unit or not I thought things like misaligned bezels were a thing of the past. Shipping items like that sounds sloppy.
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
angusbon
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Yeah, I hope that’s a one-off. You’d think they’d closely inspect the review units prior to going out. On the plus side, it’s the only instance I’ve heard of out of all the reviews and anecdotes I’ve seen.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:46 pm Yeah, I hope that’s a one-off. You’d think they’d closely inspect the review units prior to going out. On the plus side, it’s the only instance I’ve heard of out of all the reviews and anecdotes I’ve seen.
Anecdotally I’d say that CW has improved their QC - I hope yours arrives in perfect condition
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

At this point I’d be happy if it arrived. Looking at you, DHL
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

He managed to capture why I'm not a fan. To me this is not one of CW's strongest pieces. Bezel and crown issues shouldn't have been there either.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Well, we're all watch reviewers at heart but not everyone has a social media channel but, hey, every opinion has validity.

Click bait? What I'd really like to have heard was "So I spoke to Christopher Ward about my concerns with the bezel alignment and the crown movement and they said..............".

The channel looks to be three years old right now and maybe he's swimming upstream from Chinese Aliex watches so fair play to him: a lot of his video end screens feature the kind of dorky "pully face" which I ask my nine year old grandson not to do so yeah, I'm not impressed!

Is all publicity good publicity? Ask Prince Andrew hahaha
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
NationOfLaws
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I think he was pretty fair in his assessment, noting it’s a review piece and was likely mishandled by prior reviewers. He also notes that these are his own opinions.

His take on the dimmer bezel lume makes sense, and I pretty much agree with his opinions. He articulated why I’ve been feeling meh on the Aquitaine line.

He had a cool time lapse of the lume fading in there too.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

NationOfLaws wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:46 pm Yeah, I hope that’s a one-off. You’d think they’d closely inspect the review units prior to going out. On the plus side, it’s the only instance I’ve heard of out of all the reviews and anecdotes I’ve seen.
This doesn't always happen. Sometimes after leaving the manufacturer they are passed from reviewer to reviewer without going back to the manufacturer. After the first review the manufacturer is out of the loop. I think the way CW does it is that they send units to their PR agency and then the PR agency handles who gets them. There is definitely some work that needs to be done here. For the C60 Anthropocene one reviewer got a preproduction model that didn't have a bidirectional bezel. It was fine for product photography but it caused a reviewer to give out bad information (now the reviewer is not off of the hook here because he didn't bother to check his findings against the published specs and ask CW for clarification). It just points out that it is far from a perfect system.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

^^^^

That makes sense. It does make me think about some of the reviewers I like best. John Gruber at Daring Fireball, for instance, reviews Apple gear and constantly reaches out to their PR team to clarify things before reporting on them. I think it gives a fuller picture and helps me trust his content a lot.

Also helps that he stays away from sensational headlines like “I’m not impressed?!”
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:00 pm For the C60 Anthropocene one reviewer got a preproduction model that didn't have a bidirectional bezel. It was fine for product photography but it caused a reviewer to give out bad information (now the reviewer is not off of the hook here because he didn't bother to check his findings against the published specs and ask CW for clarification).
Remember that thread about his review?! That guy was crazy!
Drew
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:51 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:00 pm For the C60 Anthropocene one reviewer got a preproduction model that didn't have a bidirectional bezel. It was fine for product photography but it caused a reviewer to give out bad information (now the reviewer is not off of the hook here because he didn't bother to check his findings against the published specs and ask CW for clarification).
Remember that thread about his review?! That guy was crazy!
For sure. He was very much into 'gaming' the algorithm I think. I never doubted that he didn't receive what he said he did. I simply pointed out what the spec sheet said and it is up to him to be more thorough.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
jkbarnes
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London