C65 Aquitaine GMT - Orca Black

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: C65 Aquitaine GMT - Orca Black

Post by Caller »

strapline wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:41 pm Well...that is just a very fine lookin' watch! Anyone who says anything to the contrary is just nit-pickin'. End. Of.

Des
That'll be me then.

I think it's a dog's dinner of a design.

The dial and bezel look disjointed to me, as if they have come from different watches. I look at the dial and I think it dominates, then I look at the bezel and I definitely think it dominates, there seems little harmony between the two. And the 'patina' on the dial and bezel appear different shades, or that's how it seems to me. Maybe that's intentional?

To a lesser degree, on the dial, there is the bright red GMT written on a new black dial, with a red end of GMT hand offset by a bright white date wheel (which would have been better black), logo and minute markers against minute and hour hands with a patina, but with a white trident seconds hand. It's all just all off kilter to me, and unintentially no doubt, but has hints of a Farer about it (God forbid).

But in fairness, I don't care too much for any of the solid colours of this model, as oppposed to the ones with contrasting bezels.
'Tis me
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

Of the Aquitaine line, the newest Black Orca would be my favorite. What one person likes, may be exactly why someone else doesn’t. Personally, I kept feeling there was something missing with the automatic version. Then, it dawned on me that having numbers at the quarters on the bezel was the most likely reason for my feeling that way. So, the GMT version with 24 hour track on the bezel does appear more complete to me. Just personal opinion, but I do like the black colorway better. I do want to see some real world forum pictures of the Aquitaine line before I form any definite opinion. I keep wondering with the domed sapphire if the watch dial will appear small on the wrist. Real world pictures should answer that question.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post:
JasperCat
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Caller wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:14 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:41 pm Well...that is just a very fine lookin' watch! Anyone who says anything to the contrary is just nit-pickin'. End. Of.

Des
That'll be me then.

The dial and bezel look disjointed to me, as if they have come from different watches. I look at the dial and I think it dominates, then I look at the bezel and I definitely think it dominates, there seems little harmony between the two. And the 'patina' on the dial and bezel appear different shades, or that's how it seems to me. Maybe that's intentional?

To a lesser degree, on the dial, there is the bright red GMT written on a new black dial, with a red end of GMT hand offset by a bright white date wheel (which would have been better black), logo and minute markers against minute and hour hands with a patina, but with a white trident seconds hand. It's all just all off kilter to me, and unintentially no doubt, but has hints of a Farer about it (God forbid).

But in fairness, I don't care too much for any of the solid colours of this model, as oppposed to the ones with contrasting bezels.
Not to agree or to disagree, merely for clarification. I think I am following everything but the reference to the white trident seconds hand. I am not sure what you are referring to here. The seconds hand is stainless with the old radium lume.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:48 pm Another reason my C65 GMT (stainless) isn't going anywhere.
I think the original C65 GMT is the nicest looking GMT CW has made yet. At the end of the day, I have to admit it's the GMT is really want.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Caller wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Des
That'll be me then.

I have really tried to get to a place where I can understand your remarks but I can't. Even opening up two tabs on my browser and flitting between the watch and your comments. Watch appeal is wholly subjective of course, but to describe this watch as a bit of a 'dog's dinner' is beyond me...completely. And to compare it to a Farer is a bit like comparing it to a Cartier. Yes it has hands and a crown but that is where the comparison ends.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
dipidyySpAwN_BG
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

rkovars wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:59 pm The seconds hand is stainless with the old radium lume.
You could well be right, it looked white by the trident on the photo that was posted at the start of this thread. Thinking about it, I am sure it is SS. I think I went somewhat OTT on the detail. But my comments reflect my initial impression of the watch, which was then cemented by looking at the detail. My literal response, was it's a 'dogs dinner', then I thought of Farer. I love colour, I like primary colours, I just don't like how Farer use them!

But then I prefer and actually would consider buying (in a sale) the cream dial / green bezel Aquitaine, which I am sure is the least popular here.

But hey, put this in context, I dont care for the Tudor BB range, which is sooo popular and the appeal of Lange & sohne passes me by, but Ochs Und Junior make me smile. And having seen several in the flesh, the appeal of Moser and FP Journe mystify me. But I drool over the clocks and legacy watch series of MB&F. And I probably enjoy the output of Ulysee Nardin more than any other brand, but I don't own one and if asked, I would probably say Omega and Bremont are my favourite brands. But my 'grail' watch doesn't come from any of those last three brands. Confused? Me too.
These users thanked the author Caller for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesthomcat00
'Tis me
SpAwN_BG
Senior
Senior

Post by SpAwN_BG »

Does this mean I am going to receive it by 20th of June or it will be sent by then?

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

It means they expect to have them in stock by June 20 and will then start shipping. It’s also not an absolute. It could ship earlier if they arrive earlier or later, if they arrive later.

Consider it only as an estimate on when they expect them to be in stock.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
SpAwN_BG
Drew
SpAwN_BG
Senior
Senior

Post by SpAwN_BG »

Thanks for the clarification! I hope I will get it by 6th, 7th of July , cause I am going to be outside the country afterwards..
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

I normally dislike faux vintage lume, but the are instances where the execution of tan lume looks to be a part of the style implementation. In this case, the tan lume is more interesting than white lume would have been. I think the Orca Black got it right.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
strapline
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Caller wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:14 pm I think it's a dog's dinner of a design.

That’s a really interesting observation. While I don’t necessarily think it’s the “dog’s dinner” (fantastic phrase, by the way!), I understand from your follow up comment why you say that. And I get exactly what you mean with those comments. I wonder how much of what you describe might be caused from distortion by the boxed crystal? It’s just one more reason for me as to why this watch probably needs to be seen and held in the flesh to fully assess it.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Caller
Drew
SpAwN_BG
Senior
Senior

Post by SpAwN_BG »

The status of my order changed since today morning, can someone explain what does „partialy held” mean?

These users thanked the author SpAwN_BG for the post:
JasperCat
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

SpAwN_BG wrote:The status of my order changed since today morning, can someone explain what does „partialy held” mean?

Likely its that CW have the watch but not the bracelet, or the other way around.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
SpAwN_BG
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I'm just confused by the name. When I think of "Orca", I think of black and white, not black and beige/gold (radium lume and bezel numbers). :? :lol:

Putting aside the name, personally I'm not sure I like the beige/gold with the black dial. For some reason, I find the bronze case+blue dial is still the nicest of the lot, and that uses the vintagey lume as well.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

We’ll having started this thread all those weeks ago, looks like I’m finally going to find out if this is indeed the right Aquitaine for me… courtesy of a last minute pop up in the sale :thumbup:

7FB4FEB6-3C35-4517-BF81-F7CDB3EF3FA1.jpeg
These users thanked the author JasperCat for the post (total 2):
MiniMpithomcat00
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King