CW-watches: 0

Re: The Non-Curmudgeons Corner

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Stunning churches, all three.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:41 pm ^^ ^^
Stunning churches, all three.

Des
One of the great treasures of our county. Norfolk has well over 600 mediaeval churches and some of them are absolutely huge, having been built as symbols of power and patronage by great families such as the Howards and the Boleyns at the height of the wool trade.

A lot of these churches now stand in more or less open country, after the wool trade declined and the village populations shrank.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

We have a quite spectacular cathedral where I live in Killarney, Co Kerry. It was designed by Augustus Pugin no less. It was consecrated in the mid 19th C, with work halting at the time of ‘the great famine’. I must do a similar post sometime.
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:46 pm We have a quite spectacular cathedral where I live in Killarney, Co Kerry. It was designed by Augustus Pugin no less. It was consecrated in the mid 19th C, with work halting at the time of ‘the great famine’. I must do a similar post sometime.
Please do! I love old churches and these photos, especially so because I live smack dab in the middle of a suburban sprawl hell scape. If anyone is interested in photos of fast food chains, dollar stores, and the occasional vape store, let me know. I’ll hook you up.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I ordered something on Amazon, a set of 4 for well over £100. It arrived and only 2 of said item in the box :-?

I checked my email order confirmation and yes set of 4. I clicked on the link and it took me to the Amazon website where the listing now says a set of 2. I think they have incorrectly listed the item before and it has now been fixed.

I called customer service and without quibble they are sending me another two for free. I'm happy with this as on reflection and looking for these goods on other sites they were clearly mislabelled and you only get two for that price so a bit of a bargain. Having said that I maybe wouldn't have bought at twice the price.

Great customer service though :)
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

So, my broadband has been upgraded to full fibre 900 Mbits. I have added sky sports to my BT package, with more to follow. Enjoyed darts and golf this evening. Everything going swimmingly. :D
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

We have an electric blanket with individual controls for each side of the bed. My wife informed that she is still putting her side on, as we approach the end of May. :D.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
sproughton
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

The sun has come out...in Ireland...a guest spot, this weekend only. :clap: What's to be curmudgeonly about!

Des
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

RIP Lester Piggott. The greatest jockey that many of us saw.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Thermexman wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:21 am After finishing University in 2015, my daughter went to work as a Dietitian, for the NHS, at The Lincoln County Hospital. Lincoln is 150 miles away from us! Helping her with anything practical was a 2.5hr journey, minimum! I’m very proud of how she has dealt with living on her own, in her own house, so far from family and friends!

She has had to deal with a few ups and downs along the way but has come through it all.

I’m now extremely happy to say that she starts a new job today. It’s a promotion and it’s only 22 miles from us!

Getting her house ready for sale and moving some of her ‘essentials’, including her, back home, has lead to a busy few weeks and several journeys to and fro. Our house is currently a cluttered mess but it’s fantastic to know, that wherever she ends up buying a property, it’ll only be a max of 45 mins drive away. She may even be within walking distance! Who knows?
Well, it's been a bit of a five month roller coaster ride, what with the current property market being so volatile but my daughter has finally moved out of our house and into her own, on Sunday!

She's now only ten mins or so drive away! :D

Just got to get her to clear the remnants of her stuff out of our house now! That may take a while! :problem:
These users thanked the author Thermexman for the post (total 2):
ViognierThegreyman
Steve.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

While I gain no benefit from the Platinum Jubilee holiday weekend, I did make time yesterday to watch Trooping the Colour. And I must say that I rather enjoyed it. Well done everyone.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Well it's Friday, but it feels like a Saturday.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Mikkei4
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Well, who knew I’d be fighting them off with a stick!

Had planned to dismantle this old swing seat and book a slot at my local tip. (Yep, Covid left it’s legacy of reduced attendance).

My daughter chastised me and told me to advertise it on Facebook marketplace. She even suggested a price of £25. I was sceptical so banged it on at £10.

Had seven enquiries within 2 hours! Edit: 9 enquiries in total so far!

It’s being collected anytime now. Edit: now gone.🤭

I’ve thrown better stuff away before now! 🤫

Saves me a trip out.

BFBE600B-D45A-4B5F-9736-A3EEB5CABC04.jpeg
Steve.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

One of the hardest things about teaching is that it’s the challenging students who command one’s attention. It’s too easy to forget the potential impact one might have on a student because that students stays quiet about it. Whereas the spawn-of-Satan student - that’s the student one NEVER forgets.

I got the nicest note from a graduating senior today that is the perfect way to end the year. It’s nice to be reminded that I’m making an impact, even when it doesn’t feel like it, and even if it’s only one student.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
NationOfLawsJAFOThermexman
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

^^^
Films about teaching.

I really enjoyed The Browning Version. I thought Albert Finney was very good in that. Goodbye Mr Chips is perhaps overly sentimental, but the fairly recent Martin Clunes version was very watchable. I just researched Wikipedia, and realised that the plots of earlier versions were each somewhat different. There's also To Sir With Love with Sidney Poitier. I am sure there are many more, often sport related.