About sales on CW, first purchase

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
stigea

About sales on CW, first purchase

Post by stigea »

Hi everybody,
I am new to this forum, and also new in the watch collectors community ! :wave:

I looked at a lot of models and option for my first "acquisition". The more i looked through brands and models, the more i considered to spend a little more that i was first thinking.
Anyway, After many changes and hesitations, i ended up looking to CW watches and more precisely on the C63 Sealander Automatic, which is at the upper limit of my current budget. I want it with a white dial, and a steel strap. My 16-16.5cm wrists limit a lot the choice :-)

This community is very interesting and I learn a lot reading your posts.

I have one question i couldnt find the answer though, which is related to the sales policy of CW, which was not very transparent at first.
I understood there are usually 2 sales period in the year, one should be occurring soon as far as I understood.

I find it confusing to know that the prices displayed on CW can be halved or drastically reduced twice a year! It's good, of course, but what's the point of buying outside these periods then...
I dont want to buy right now something that i could purchase up to half the price in a few days...! Obviously! :problem:

So when do you think the next sales will occur?
Do you think that it is likely for the C63 to be sold on sale then? Since it is a model from last year only..?

Thank you for reading this!
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: About sales on CW, first purchase

Post by David. S »

stigea wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 pm Hi everybody,

I looked at a lot of models and option for my first "acquisition". The more i looked through brands and models, the more i considered to spend a little more that i was first thinking.
Anyway, After many changes and hesitations, i ended up looking to CW watches and more precisely on the C63 Sealander Automatic, which is at the upper limit of my current budget. I want it with a white dial, and a steel strap. My 16-16.5cm wrists limit a lot the choice :-)

I have one question i couldnt answer though, which is relates to the sales policy of CW, which was not very transparent at first.
I understood there are usually 2 sales period in the year, one should be occurring soon as far as I understood.

I find it confusing to know that the prices displayed on CW can be halved or drastically reduced twice a year! It's good, of course, but what's the point of buying outside these periods then...
I dont want to buy right something that i could purchase up to half the price in a few days...! Obviously! :problem:

Do you think that it is likely for the C63 to be sold on sale then? Since it is a model from last year only..?

Hi and welcome,
CW has a January and summer sale, but these sales are for discontinued models, prototypes and nearly new watches, nearly new are current models that have been returned under the 60 day policy, but are deemed by CW to be less than perfect.
So if you are after a sealander you may get lucky in the summer sale and pick up a nearly new one.
Your other options are to wait for black friday (I don't think I could wait that long) , the normal black Friday discount is 15%.
Alternatively if you sign up for the loupe magazine on the Web site you will receive a £100 discount voucher with every issue.

Hope this helps.

David.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

The sales are nice, but as David points out, it’s not a general sale across the board on all models. You never know what will be in the sale, so it’s a risk waiting for the sale in hopes of finding what you want. Additionally, if you find what you want in the sale, it’s likely going to be in limited numbers and go quickly.

Again as David points out, your best bet is to wait for and use one of the discount codes that come out with some regularity. I’m sure someone will comment soon enough with the active codes. In the US it’s typically $125 off anything over $600 (or $500??).
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
ajax87
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

"Sales" are normally in January definitely and I think July IIRC.

In the January sale I bought a blue dial Sealander Auto on a tide strap with 33% off at £416, so there's a reasonable chance of some being available in the next sale whenever it is, although I don't recall any on bracelets but I might be wrong.

If you are not in any rush to buy it might be worth holding on in case there is a sale coming along.

The Sealander Auto is an excellent choice BTW, I'm very pleased with mine.

As David. S. has stated these reduced Sealanders would be NN (Nearly New) items so might have a little blemish or scuff. The watch I received was perfect as far as I could see so well worth the money.

After the last Black Friday 15% off sale I thought that CW stated either they would not be doing BF again or that the discount would not be as much as 15%.
stigea

Post by stigea »

Thank you so much for your answers. I understand better now.
So the welcome discount of 10% is finally not so bad, given that with the C63 on bracelet and a spare leather strap, i will get a decent ~100 EUR discount.

And thanks for the comments on the C63 Sealander auto! Love the look and the 4Hz caliber!
I will let you know when I purchase/ receive it!
These users thanked the author stigea for the post:
David. S
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hello and welcome! 8)

Please visit the Member Introduction section and tell us about yourself. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

stigea wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:55 pm Thank you so much for your answers. I understand better now.
So the welcome discount of 10% is finally not so bad, given that with the C63 on bracelet and a spare leather strap, i will get a decent ~100 EUR discount.

And thanks for the comments on the C63 Sealander auto! Love the look and the 4Hz caliber!
I will let you know when I purchase/ receive it!
120Loupe25 Will give you 120EUR off the price of the watch so may be better than the 10%. You can't use both together so pick the one that is worth more.

As others have said I'd go for it now with the discount. I have picked up some nearly new bargains in the past but the chances of getting exactly the watch you want on the strap you want are small. Add in the fact that the popular models (the c63 is one) will go in seconds and there may only be one available. Once you take the discount off the full price the sale saving is not that much, so get the one you want now and enjoy it for that bit longer.

(You won't be disappointed. I have the GMT with an automatic coming soon)
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

stigea wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 pm Hi everybody,

I have one question i couldnt find the answer though, which is related to the sales policy of CW, which was not very transparent at first.

I dont want to buy right now something that i could purchase up to half the price in a few days...! Obviously! :problem:

I think that it's possible to get hyper sensitised to sales. There's always a sale somewhere, and you can grow into a state where you are reluctant to spend on anything outside of a sale. It's not a bad attitude to be honest, as long as you are prepared to break that habit for something you really want.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Welcome to the Forum! Of course it depends on your preferences, but don’t rule out second hand watches. My first CW was a used watch, a 2014 model I bought in 2020. Still runs great. Watches get sold on for any number of reasons. You may find a bargain out there.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

stigea wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 pm I find it confusing to know that the prices displayed on CW can be halved or drastically reduced twice a year! It's good, of course, but what's the point of buying outside these periods then...
!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IMO most things pop up in the sale, including my white dial C63 Sealander that i got at 30% off.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

golfjunky wrote:
stigea wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 pm I find it confusing to know that the prices displayed on CW can be halved or drastically reduced twice a year! It's good, of course, but what's the point of buying outside these periods then...
!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IMO most things pop up in the sale, including my white dial C63 Sealander that i got at 30% off.
. . . .which, for the avoidance of doubt, was Nearly New. :wink: :wink:

The biannual CW is an opportunity for them to sell;-

Nearly New watches at 30% discount, of which there may be only one or two examples of any given model and there's no certainty of what you would like being available.

End of Line / Clearance watches at 50% off.

The best offer for a new, current model will be the 10% WELCOME code, £100/EUR125 Loupe code or, exceptionally 15% on a specific model or range for a limited time, usually coinciding with a Special Day i.e. Black Friday, Father's Day etc.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search and purchase.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I have no idea what stocks are like but, with the introduction of the Aquitaine, I would expect to see a few C65 TDs in the sale. Pure speculation, though.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

with the perceived slow uptake of the AQ i can see them being in there too.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:11 am . . . .which, for the avoidance of doubt, was Nearly New. :wink: :wink:
no idea why though as it was mint.
Amor Vincit Omnia

golfjunky wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:24 am with the perceived slow uptake of the AQ i can see them being in there too.
I'd be very surprised, Greg. There will be a couple of NNs, probably, and they won't stick around.
Steve