Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Incoming!

Post by Peteo »

I’m happy to report that I have pulled the trigger on a C65 Super Compressor (the new swish only version). Have been intrigued by them ever since they were released and the recent Sealander gifts really impressed me, convincing me that it was time to get a new CW for myself.

It’ll be my first new CW since my C60 JAG FLE, and I’m very happy to be back in the fold, so to speak. Pictures will be shared of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post (total 4):
David. SMiniMpiMattyyBjkbarnes
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: Incoming!

Post by MiniMpi »

Congratulations Peteo !!
Looking forward to seeing the photos when it arrives.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Congrats! I'll be interested to see some photos and hear your thoughts. It's a watch I've had my eye on too. I'm guessing you went with the bracelet?

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

strapline wrote:Congrats! I'll be interested to see some photos and hear your thoughts. It's a watch I've had my eye on too. I'm guessing you went with the bracelet?

Des
I actually just went for a rubber strap. I know the wisdom is to get watches on bracelet, but I’ve got so many watches on bracelets and none on rubber at the moment, so I decided to just go with it and save a little.

I just saw the original black sand model in the CWotD thread and I must say I had a slight pang of regret, but I am sure I’ll like the blue one too! Hope my pics will inspire you. Looks like I should be taking delivery on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post:
strapline
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Many a Watch God raise their ale filled gourds in salute to your fine a$$ pick up..they all give it 2 spears up!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Congratulations, Pete. Looking forward to the pics. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Congratulations Pete!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Incoming!

Post by Peteo »

Took delivery a short time ago. First impression upon opening the box (I really like this new packaging by the way, much more my taste than the cream-colored boxes from back in the day) was a little less dramatic than when I opened the C63 Sealander, but I think that's largely because I've built this one up in my mind a bit more. The recent Sealander on the other hand was a gift for someone else, and I was expecting a much more straightforward 3-hander with a date, so I was surprised when the quality hit me so hard initially.

That's not to say that the Super Compressor didn't leave me with a good first impression. It did. It was just more along the lines of "Yeah, that is what I was hoping for."

This watch fits a niche that was missing in my collection: the Fun, Grab n' Go Summer Watch. I wish I had it for my time in Puerto Rico. It would have been perfect. The shade of blue is made for the beach. The orange minute hand is fun and functional. The markers are nice too with some interesting facets and angles, probably the most detailed of any CW watch I've owned. The swish-only logo is definitely a plus too for this watch. The sporty, informal nature suits it, and older logo treatments would have been too busy for it, I think. No date is the right choice too for a grab n' go watch. I might have liked the text at 6 to be a hair bigger. Maybe my eyes are just going!

Aesthetically, the best thing this watch has going for it is the case design. It's a real treat, and a departure from the super conventional stuff you see on most watches. I appreciate the shape and how the lines blend nicely but not without some character into the aggressively-protruding and contoured crystal. The view of the watch from the crown side particularly shows off the case's features.

The internal bezel operates smoothly (maybe too smoothly? I could have lived with a little more chunk, but perhaps that's not what you're going for with an internal bezel). The time setting crown is solid too, a clear step up from CWs from the last decade in my opinion. The view from the back is good too although without the compressor ring, it wouldn't really be all that noteworthy. Still, the addition of the swish on the rotor is a nice and appreciated touch.

My only real gripe is the rubber strap. It's fine, but something about the texture is slightly off-putting. I'm not sure if this is really justified, but I wouldn't be surprised if the strap starts showing its age relatively quickly, particularly the keepers. Some rubber straps (like the one on my old Oris TT1) feel like they're going to outlast you. This one doesn't.

Overall, very happy, and would tell any fence sitters to go for it (although maybe get it on steel). Happy (delighted, really) to have a new CW model in the collection, and my guess is that this one will stay at least a few summers. Pics below.

These users thanked the author Peteo for the post (total 5):
MattyyBajax87jkbarnesMiniMpiasqwerth
Peteo
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Congrats, Peter. Good, honest review. I look forward to seeing the pics

Edit - pics just appeared. Nice!
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Peteo
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Peteo wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:54 pm
My only real gripe is the rubber strap. It's fine, but something about the texture is slightly off-putting. I'm not sure if this is really justified, but I wouldn't be surprised if the strap starts showing its age relatively quickly, particularly the keepers. Some rubber straps (like the one on my old Oris TT1) feel like they're going to outlast you. This one doesn't.
I've had both the black and blue tropic since the first release of the Super Compressor and they have both seen quite a bit of wear. They both look like when they came out of the box. My only complaint is that most tropic straps will have some vent holes. The style looks a little odd without them. Anyway, I don't think you will have any issues. :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:08 pm
Peteo wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:54 pm
I've had both the black and blue tropic since the first release of the Super Compressor and they have both seen quite a bit of wear. They both look like when they came out of the box. My only complaint is that most tropic straps will have some vent holes. The style looks a little odd without them. Anyway, I don't think you will have any issues. :thumbup:
Thanks. That's encouraging to know. I'm not worried that the thing will fall apart next week or anything. It's certainly in the good enough category. It just feels like a step down compared to the rest of the package.
Peteo
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Ahhh...glad to see your watch arrived safely, it looks great. Funnily enough I posted a link yesterday to a recent review of the SC which has some great macro photography, as well as some good comments and observations. He shows the watch on the blue Tiber strap which looks superb imo, only serving to elevate its vintage, beach feel. Thanks for the write up.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Peteo
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
MattyyB
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by MattyyB »

Peteo wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:54 pm Took delivery a short time ago. First impression upon opening the box (I really like this new packaging by the way, much more my taste than the cream-colored boxes from back in the day) was a little less dramatic than when I opened the C63 Sealander, but I think that's largely because I've built this one up in my mind a bit more. The recent Sealander on the other hand was a gift for someone else, and I was expecting a much more straightforward 3-hander with a date, so I was surprised when the quality hit me so hard initially.

That's not to say that the Super Compressor didn't leave me with a good first impression. It did. It was just more along the lines of "Yeah, that is what I was hoping for."

This watch fits a niche that was missing in my collection: the Fun, Grab n' Go Summer Watch. I wish I had it for my time in Puerto Rico. It would have been perfect. The shade of blue is made for the beach. The orange minute hand is fun and functional. The markers are nice too with some interesting facets and angles, probably the most detailed of any CW watch I've owned. The swish-only logo is definitely a plus too for this watch. The sporty, informal nature suits it, and older logo treatments would have been too busy for it, I think. No date is the right choice too for a grab n' go watch. I might have liked the text at 6 to be a hair bigger. Maybe my eyes are just going!

Aesthetically, the best thing this watch has going for it is the case design. It's a real treat, and a departure from the super conventional stuff you see on most watches. I appreciate the shape and how the lines blend nicely but not without some character into the aggressively-protruding and contoured crystal. The view of the watch from the crown side particularly shows off the case's features.

The internal bezel operates smoothly (maybe too smoothly? I could have lived with a little more chunk, but perhaps that's not what you're going for with an internal bezel). The time setting crown is solid too, a clear step up from CWs from the last decade in my opinion. The view from the back is good too although without the compressor ring, it wouldn't really be all that noteworthy. Still, the addition of the swish on the rotor is a nice and appreciated touch.

Overall, very happy, and would tell any fence sitters to go for it (although maybe get it on steel). Happy (delighted, really) to have a new CW model in the collection, and my guess is that this one will stay at least a few summers. Pics below.

Great pics, got mine a few weeks ago and I am really pleased with it. I agree it’s a great grab and go watch and just wants to be worn for just about anything fun in the summer (if we get on in the UK 😀).
6C117AB0-C211-4674-855C-F2058002963B.jpeg
These users thanked the author MattyyB for the post (total 2):
Chris375Peteo
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Given that the case shape is squared at the lugs, it looks like you could fit pretty well any bracelet with straight end pieces, so it needn't cost a fortune.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Peteo
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Given that the case shape is squared at the lugs, it looks like you could fit pretty well any bracelet with straight end pieces, so it needn't cost a fortune to try one.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
NationOfLaws