Advert says there's a price drop

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Advert says there's a price drop

Post by Caller »

Not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, but this appeared on my screen a little earlier:

So, I went to the CW website and there is no price drop. Or at least, not as far as I could see.

And it made me wonder how much control CW has over such advertising, presumably initiated by google? But I don't really know.

Does it even matter if the advert is misleading? Or is everything fair game in a Country like Thailand, where I live?

The Thaiger is a western 'news outlet' for Phuket, that reproduces stories from elsewhere (with credits).
'Tis me
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Advert says there's a price drop

Post by Caller »

The ads are provided by this company:

https://optad360.com/
'Tis me
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Unless it’s from CW themselves, it seems likely to be a clickbait spam site - or worse. Not worth your time or your device’s security.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I am getting a lot on my phone. Many models but not Aquitaine. Maybe there has been a reduction
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I just picked the C60 in the middle as a reference point. Pre price increase price was $895 on Hybrid strap. Current price $965. Not seeing any drop on my end.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:43 pm Unless it’s from CW themselves, it seems likely to be a clickbait spam site - or worse. Not worth your time or your device’s security.
I don't think it's spam. The company behind the adverts provide a link to their website on every ad I have seen.

And CW, or an agency on their behalf, must sign up to their ads being used in this way. I use this forum and unsurprisingly I then see online ads for CW. That's how it works, I am sure to a greater or lesser degrees, we all get the same.

The coimpany behind the ads seem to have an impressive list of clients, including google. Interstingly, another client is the Bangkok Post, a Thai newspaper printed in English. I check their website daily, then usually go over to the Thaiger, so I assume that's the connection.

I have no problem with the advertising, just recently, I saw info about AP. It was just the bit about the price drop that wasn't that disappointed me!

Unlike the UK and other western countries no doubt, Thailand has a light touch on regulations governing advertising and pretty much everything else really (bar upsetting the generals that currently run the place) and I assume the companies that run such ads know this. For example, the supermarket I generally use has has a long term 2 for 1 offer on a deodrant, except it isn't really. I occassionally bought this deodrant and it cost approx. 165 baht. The 2 for 1 offer prices the deodrant as 199 baht, which to me is a con (by UK regs). I pounted this out to my other half one day, she is a senior manager in the said retail company whose supermarket I use. She just laughed and said it's still a good deal as you're still saving money!
'Tis me
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

The same price drop advert appeared on The Guardian website for me today.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Maybe they jumped the gun on some sort of summer sale? Strange after just raising prices :problem: If this is the case, to me, a better strategy would be to have raised prices to the sale price and just left them there (without the sale).

Although they may try to push out the remaining C60 MKIIIs before the launch of the MKIII.1. The price drop seems to only be on the C60s.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

If the US dollar remains strong for an extended period, is it possible that the price in the states will eventually go down a bit?

I've noticed that the US dollar price at Marloe Watch will change with the strength of the dollar.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

They're telling the truth, sort of, there's always a voucher code or sale of some sort :lol:
These users thanked the author jtc for the post:
golfjunky
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by OllyW »

I emailed CW marketing and none of the prices have been reduced.
Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for flagging this to us, we have raised with our digital agency. We believe it may be a currency issue where they were previously showing USD instead of GBP.

However I can confirm there has been no price drop.

Best,

Francesca

Francesca Robinson
Marketing Director
These users thanked the author OllyW for the post:
Caller
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Leon O wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:35 am If the US dollar remains strong for an extended period, is it possible that the price in the states will eventually go down a bit?

I've noticed that the US dollar price at Marloe Watch will change with the strength of the dollar.
The posted price won't. But you can buy the watch in pounds and it will take VAT off at checkout. The only thing to look out for is that sometimes there is a fee by the payment processor to make the exchange. If you avoid that you can come out ahead. Often if you have a watch that is just over the $800 import duty threshold you can squeak under using this method.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
thomcat00
Jack London