C65 Aquitane my want want vintage diver

This area is for member only reviews of CW watches.
Links to reviews on Watch Review sites should be posted in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
Owners of Blogs or Watch Review sites should also post in the general "Reviews and Articles" forum.
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

My journey with CW started with c63 gmt which I liked a lot…still do. After acquiring C63 I wanted a diver, vintage to be specific.
Always liked Omega Seamaster heritage models but alas in all honesty those are too expensive for me and I dislike the longish lug-to-lug.
More or less eyeing on different watches, pondering what’s what and perhaps what to get.

Lo and behold Aquitane was released. Loved it, ordered it when the blue variant became available and now I’ve it. It’s been on use for aprox week. Image

First thoughts were mixed. Wasn’t love at first sight. Felt the heavily curved sapphire distorted minute hand and the supreme legibility of c63 want there.

But as CW has really favourable return policy I gave it a go and became to love it.
As some other CWs are crisp almost posses sharp enough hands and indices to slice bread. Aquitane is different.
It’s the more luxurious curved design language that speaks here. Whispers to see what’s happening from angles otherwise unused.

It has its downside sure as the super crisp legibility isn’t present anymore. Some other colour combination may have it, but on that regard C63 is a better option.

Lume is good, hoped the bezel lume would be a bit brighter. Here’s a comparison with C63
Aprox same exposure to same source.

But when comparing Aquitane to other watches, I find it to be the more elegant vintage option. In a sense it follows the footsteps of fifty fathoms.
Not a pure tool but a bit elevated while still performing. For example date window on Aquitane
Sure the date wheel isnt colour matched but as it matches the colour of indices I dont mind.

All in all I became to love it. I’ll be adding the bracelet later on, not in a hurry as the rubber strap is a pleasent surprise.
Would’ve left the showcase caseback out. Even as Aquitane wears surprisingly slim it could’ve been slimmer and the movement isn’t up to date comparing to other parts.

This maybe a bit incoherent but typing with phone and being non-native will show through.

p.s on Aquitane the swish only logo is brilliant. Fits right in and imo works better than any written name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dipidyy for the post (total 8):
iainasqwerthMiniMpijkbarnesAmor Vincit OmniaDavid. Stikkathreealbionphoto
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: C65 Aquitane my want want vintage diver

Post by NationOfLaws »

That’s the watch I ordered, except I got the bracelet instead. Do you mind me asking - what size wrist do you have?
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

16,5cm. So I’m out of almost anything going over 48 l2l.
Tbh thinking Aquitane is max but comparing this to other 41mm divers, it wears a lot smaller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Thanks so much. I think I’m sitting at an 18.5 cm wrist currently so this’ll work great. I think it’s the right size for you for sure.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

Size looks perfect and I agree on the date - usually white under dark is an eyesore but it works here balancing the big white triangle at 12.

I thought the wobbly looking hands is what makes it "vintage style" - if you want legibility get a modern watch. Like the C63 :lol:
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

suicidal_orange wrote:Size looks perfect and I agree on the date - usually white under dark is an eyesore but it works here balancing the big white triangle at 12.

I thought the wobbly looking hands is what makes it "vintage style" - if you want legibility get a modern watch. Like the C63 :lol:
I think it’s more about indices combined with domed sapphire. Just doesn’t give that glance from almost any direction and there’s the minute marker.

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

How did I miss this? Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Anymore real world pics you can share?
Drew
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Yeah post a toooooon of pictures. Strap a webcam to your wrist and point it at the watch. I’m thirsty for Aquitaine content since mine hasn’t shipped.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
jkbarnes
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the movement isn't up to date with the rest of the components?
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:58 pm Can you elaborate on what you mean by the movement isn't up to date with the rest of the components?
I took this to mean he didn’t think it was equally as good looking as the rest of the watch, as not visually appealing enough to warrant an exhibition caseback.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sorry, I missed this too. Congratulations on the watch, and thanks for posting your review. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm
rkovars wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:58 pm Can you elaborate on what you mean by the movement isn't up to date with the rest of the components?
I took this to mean he didn’t think it was equally as good looking as the rest of the watch, as not visually appealing enough to warrant an exhibition caseback.
I think that may be tight but didn’t want to speculate. My own thoughts aren’t always settled in the subject of open case backs either. Where I land at the moment is that what looks average to us (us being people more knowledgeable about watches) is brilliant to the vast majority of general consumers. Brilliant might be a string term but at least interesting or 'neat' to look at. Often I would prefer losing a mm on thickness over an exhibition case back pretty much every day but as I stated above I realize I am not really the market for that feature. Ideally it would be perfect if you could choose at checkout. Understanding that there would be supply/cost impacts of having the choice.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
jkbarnes
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
dipidyy
Junior
Junior

Post by dipidyy »

jkbarnes wrote:
This exactly CW has done really good case, my dial is in good order the movement decoration is a bit lacking.

The tropic strap is really nice, a bit blu combination as my wife said. Alas bracelet arrived but the quick adjust doesn’t work so I wont fit it now.

But it’s good and even with 22mm it works due heavy tapering. With CW one can go wo bracelet as it doesnt really cost extra to obtain later one.

I had this for a while now and even as my sealander has still good amount of wrist time -
Aquitane has pulled ahead as my summer watch.
I’ll post more pics when I’ve working bracelet

Edit same pic twice

These users thanked the author dipidyy for the post:
jkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

dipidyy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:40 pm This exactly CW has done really good case, my dial is in good order the movement decoration is a bit lacking.
CW used to do different sorts of decoration on the movements – I have an early watch with Perlage and Côtes de Genève.

They moved to the Colimaçonné style a few years back, while decorating the rotors with the Swish motif. I have also seen infilled lettering in gold or blue, but the current trend seems to be not to have it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

dipidyy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:40 pm
jkbarnes wrote:
This exactly CW has done really good case, my dial is in good order the movement decoration is a bit lacking.

The tropic strap is really nice, a bit blu combination as my wife said. Alas bracelet arrived but the quick adjust doesn’t work so I wont fit it now.

But it’s good and even with 22mm it works due heavy tapering. With CW one can go wo bracelet as it doesnt really cost extra to obtain later one.

I had this for a while now and even as my sealander has still good amount of wrist time -
Aquitane has pulled ahead as my summer watch.
I’ll post more pics when I’ve working bracelet

Thanks for elaborating. I too am looking at replacing one of my C65 bracelets with the Aquitaine. What is going on with yours?
Jack London