When you do the daydream thread…???

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: When you do the daydream thread…???

Post by strapline »

iain wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:30 pm We have the CWOTD and the NCWOTD, I see the daydream thread as more of a “Here’s a nice watch I don’t own that I’d like to share with you... of the day” thread.
This is me and has been me every time I post in the 'what watch are you daydreaming of' thread. It's often a fairly modest offering, certainly not high horology. Just something that has sprung up in front of me whilst riding the internet wave. If it causes a little dopamine spike I like to share it. Perhaps it might have a similar effect on others; it may even work itself to someone else's watch box, and that's a nice thought.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
iain
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 am Do you think these life/career choices are reflected in our watches? For example, I'd pick a Cartier over a Bremont any day - I suspect you probably wouldn't.
Well I do like a well engineered watch and I think my excellently designed and built IWC bracelets are one of my favourite features in my watches.

As for Bremont, I’ve owned five and still own one and my favourite part of the wing tour was the machine shop. I’ve never even dreamt of a Cartier.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 am Do you think these life/career choices are reflected in our watches? For example, I'd pick a Cartier over a Bremont any day - I suspect you probably wouldn't.
Very interesting question! I’d be curious to see if there’s a correlation.
Drew
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I rarely post in the thread but I've always thought it was for one of two things - either when I stumble across a watch that doesn't tick many, let alone all, the boxes of what I'm looking for yet somehow is very appealing, making my mind wonder how it could work out or when I'd wear it (I remember posting a high street quartz Seiko that fits this) or when I stumble across something that I'm never going to see let alone own but would like to, making it a dream watch (I'm sure I've posted at least one Urwerk)

I cannot relate at all to these literal daydreams of walking, driving or holidaying in a watch, my real dreams are dull too - my imagination is just poor.
jkbarnes wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:01 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:26 amDo you think these life/career choices are reflected in our watches? For example, I'd pick a Cartier over a Bremont any day - I suspect you probably wouldn't.
Very interesting question! I’d be curious to see if there’s a correlation.
Bremont or Cartier? I wasn't familiar with either brand's range having only seen what people post here so had a quick look and ignoring precious metal options both are quite expensive and I can't help wondering why. If I liked the strange square-ish shape I'd have gone Cartier because it's something different but I don't care much for either.

Does this reflect my life/personality? Yes, I'm practical first which I'd like to say accounts for the price/performance hesitation, but I'm also skint so could be making that up as a good cover story. The story becomes more likely when I admit the way to overcome the price is to appeal to my inner hipster by doing something different - I'd be more likely to spend £1500 on a new Zelos with a cheap Seiko movement in a timascus case than a used steel Bremont or Cartier, and I love a used bargain.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ I’m not wanting to try to second guess the deeper meaning behind Steve’s Bremont v Cartier comment. However I saw it was directly related to the post I made about how our personalities could influence our choice of career, watches, and whole thought processes. I think he chose those for no other reason than he likes Cartier and he knows I like Bremont and they are pretty much polar opposites in the watch design world.

However to move this on a little deeper. For Cartier you could read arty and all about design and visual flair. Whereas Bremont are chunky and all about the engineering. I don’t think it was a literal question about which of those two brands you prefer, but more an open ended question about your particular tastes and thought process.

ie Do you prefer a watch heavy on beauty, or a well engineered one? Does this reflect your deeper personality and possible choice of profession? Therefore could the way you visualise your daydreaming be an indicator of your underlying personality traits?
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I may well be a bit weird but my daydream is sitting in a volt like room with glass cases full of the unattainable, art work on the walls and bronze statues scattered about.....I will be sitting in an oxblood vintage chesterfield, sipping a very expensive Malbec, stroking a pure white cat :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post:
jkbarnes
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by suicidal_orange »

iain wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pmDo you prefer a watch heavy on beauty, or a well engineered one? Does this reflect your deeper personality and possible choice of profession? Therefore could the way you visualise your daydreaming be an indicator of your underlying personality traits?
Both, but not at the same time. The expensive (to me) timascus Zelos has a beautiful (to me) case and the cheap Seiko has a beautiful dial - never mind what movement is inside or whether the finishing of the case and bracelet is top notch, they appeal to me. On the other end of the scale an Urwerk is not a thing of beauty but I love the weird looking engineering. You can only impress me so far on an engineering level with a steel case and hands, and my life doesn't call for to the second accuracy so an impressive movement hidden in it wont impress either (unless it's really thin...)

As to relating this to my deeper personality I could do that on a couple of levels. I'm not really anything having wasted my life waiting for something or someone to grab me and take me in a direction. If I look or act too much like an aesthete I'm unlikely to be invited to learn bushcraft by a new colleague so I can't look that way, but if I look like I live in a cave I will probably repel arty girls and that too is not good. I'd be happy to repel 99% of people if it meant finding the 1% I feel I fit in with but it's impossible to know. When you're pulled hard in all directions the result is being held firmly in the middle. I've tried HR, software development, plumbing and now CNC but have never identified with my job which would have been an easy starter. IT tech support is what I was aiming for but there were no opportunities for someone with no experience without moving to a city so it never happened, and having dealt with incompetent users while designing software for them I'm not sure it would have worked...

My "visualising" has no visual element, it's purely distractions through thought. If Autistic traits count as personality that probably covers this aspect.

I fear I've missed the point again - this is supposed to be about the use of the thread rather than the choices made in it. Sorry.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ No problem, the thread has developed into a really interesting read.

Now THIS is off-topic. :lol:

I can’t recall dreaming about watches very much at all, but I did last night. I was trying to resize the bracelet on my Speedmaster for some reason (unnecessary). Every time I went to put it on the end links didn’t fit and the clasp said Panerai on it. Do Panerai even DO bracelets? So I had to disassemble the bracelet but the same thing kept happening.

I took it as a subliminal message; I haven’t worn the Speedy for a week or two, so maybe it was time. Either that or buy a Panerai.

No, I’m fine. :lol:

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^^ Dreaming about Pam?

Oversized “Endlinks”? (not heard them going by that euphemism before)

Admit it Steve, this was your recurring Pamela Anderson dream again wasn’t it?
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ You might very well think that – I could not possibly comment.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
iain
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Steve, Pam definitely does do bracelets...

pamela.jpg

Just on the off chance you were talking about the other PAM :wink:

Panerai-Luminor-Marina-Silver-Dial-PAM00977-PAM00978-2.jpg
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
iain
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ I didn’t know Panerai made bracelets at all.

The other one was never my type - a bit too obvious.
Steve

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

The Panerai bracelets are recognisable by the curvy shape of the links....could draw another Pamela analogy there!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way