In praise of…… Swatch!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Internaut
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

In praise of…… Swatch!

Post by Internaut »

So, today I took a 25 year old Swatch Irony to a Swatch Shop in Manchester. This watch has been In a draw, at home, for the past 12+ years, and I was curious as to whether it would take a new battery. Also, I’m half the man I used to be so an adjustment to the bracelet was needed. The cost for battery and service? Zero. The service was superb. Downsides? I found myself in Swatch Wonderland and ended up walking out with one of these (yes, yes, I did pay them):

https://www.swatch.com/en-gb/blurang-yis430/YIS430.html

Strictly a weekend/fun watch as it does look a tad ridiculous on my tiny wrist. Second watch I’ve bought while awaiting delivery of a Sealander GMT. So Chop-chop, CW, before I spend more money!
These users thanked the author Internaut for the post:
cincfleet
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: In praise of…… Swatch!

Post by Lavaine »

Everyone loves to crap on Swatch, but how can you complain about a company that offers free lifetime battery replacements while you wait.
Also, unlike the vast majority of salespeople selling watches in jewelry stores, pretty much everyone I've met working at a Swatch store is passionate and very knowledgeable about the brand. The employees are true brand ambassadors.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

:thumbup: Well Internaut why shouldn't you treat yourself to another essential purchase? :thumbup:

That's a funky looking item you've collected, can we see it on wrist?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

I like that - a lot
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

The movement certainly is a miracle of modern manufacturing. Very intriguing. And dare I say, very cool.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Leaving aside the recent fanfare over the Moonswatch, Swatch have always made fun watches. My wife and I have both owned a number of them over the years.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Internaut
Senior
Senior

Post by Internaut »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:21 am :thumbup: Well Internaut why shouldn't you treat yourself to another essential purchase? :thumbup:

Quick mobile shot and Lightroom edit.

ImageThe big watch by Jason Hindle, on Flickr

Edit: For someone naturally larger (or a serious gym goer) I think it will be suited to a wider variety of situations.
These users thanked the author Internaut for the post (total 3):
gannetcincfleetiain
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I really like that and having just had a browse of the website there are currently quite a few nice pieces.
Sunspot

Post by Sunspot »

Great service from Swatch! I think I've been generally quite happy with the after service support from Swatch and other Swatch group brands!
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I posted this in the Moonswatch thread but it's the case that if you take a Swatch into one of their stores, they will replace the battery for free.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Internaut
Senior
Senior

Post by Internaut »

exHowfener wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 pm I posted this in the Moonswatch thread but it's the case that if you take a Swatch into one of their stores, they will replace the battery for free.
FYI…. Thinking on, this probably needs to come with a caveat YMMV. This is true for UK Swatch Shops. Rest of world? A quick Google is inconclusive for me.
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Internaut wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:43 am
tikkathree wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:21 am :thumbup: Well Internaut why shouldn't you treat yourself to another essential purchase? :thumbup:

Quick mobile shot and Lightroom edit.

ImageThe big watch by Jason Hindle, on Flickr

Edit: For someone naturally larger (or a serious gym goer) I think it will be suited to a wider variety of situations.
Very cool, I could see myself picking up one.

Leon
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Internaut wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:34 pm
exHowfener wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 pm I posted this in the Moonswatch thread but it's the case that if you take a Swatch into one of their stores, they will replace the battery for free.
FYI…. Thinking on, this probably needs to come with a caveat YMMV. This is true for UK Swatch Shops. Rest of world? A quick Google is inconclusive for me.
It looks like it's worldwide.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

This is a nice service offered by Swatch and good marketing etc.

It does, naturally, presuppose that one has a Swatch shop close at hand; which I don't.

Oh well, I'll just have to change the battery myself.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:13 am This is a nice service offered by Swatch and good marketing etc.

It does, naturally, presuppose that one has a Swatch shop close at hand; which I don't.

Oh well, I'll just have to change the battery myself.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
If you have one or 2 it's certainly easy enough to change batteries yourself. If you are a serious collector though...Some people were asking on the Swatch FB page about having large numbers (like 80) changed, and Swatch was happy to do it. They only asked that the customer call ahead to ensure they had enough batteries.
I have a Swatch store in town, so if I'm going to be in the area, I'll happily take advantage of it for my 2 watches.