36mm Sealander - Speculations?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: 36mm Sealander - Speculations?

Post by thomcat00 »

This 36mm size raises my curiosities as I had the impression the 38mm C65 didn’t sell all that well. I happen to love the smaller C65 watches; collectively I think I wear them more than my 41’s, and the larger ones outnumber the smaller ones of my options. I just don’t see as many flaunting their 38’s.

As for the 36mm Sealander, I suspect it will be a good seller and a solid extension to the C63 line and a good draw for Christopher Ward as a whole. Color may be a bit of an apparent fashionable fad but having color options has long been a want for many. I could see a core set of colors and a rotating palette of LE colors that in this smaller size would work better than it would in a larger watch. The size is intriguing. The Light Catcher is an adaptable design. I’d hope to see 20mm lugs for the case, and not something smaller. My oldest C5 takes 18mm straps and they just don’t feel secure and substantial to me. It’s a nice look but it doesn’t imply #GODO to me.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Jcalder68
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
sea_urchin

Post by sea_urchin »

I think drand is on to something here with the color predictions, and they look great.

My CW watch allowance has just got to wait some more, I was eyeing up a regular C63 but am now going to hang a little bit longer before CW gets my £££s in anticipation of the 36mm, what I would like to see is:
- 36mm on bracelet with the famous on the fly micro adjust
- at least 100m WR
- no date
- hour hand to match the minute hand (ie no arrow)

Not too bothered about
- logo or name
- COSC
These users thanked the author sea_urchin for the post (total 2):
golfjunkyJcalder68
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

drand wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:39 am I see one...two...three...four...five....six colours here. It can't be that simple can it?

IMG_20220430_103644.jpg
I see 7
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
Jcalder68
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

For those calling for no date (myself included), the pic drand references clearly shows a date.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Jcalder68Internaut
Drew
sea_urchin

Post by sea_urchin »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:35 pm For those calling for no date (myself included), the pic drand references clearly shows a date.
It does :(
Tho I am hoping CW take some inspiration from the other popular 36mm out there (Rolex Explorer and Tudor BB) which do not have a date, also think a date window may look unbalanced on a smaller dial.
These users thanked the author sea_urchin for the post (total 2):
Jcalder68Internaut
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Have to admit I would struggle to turn down a 36 yellow, orange or turquoise (Tiffany)
Despite being a small watch I think it will do really well
These users thanked the author stefs for the post (total 2):
Jcalder68Internaut
Cheers now, Paul
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve been interested to read this thread. I won’t be indulging because I already have a Sealander GMT. And this might sound strange coming from me of all people, but I think I would probably find it too small. I could happily wear that size in a slim and dressy watch like some of the Nomos range, but I reckon the 39 mm version is a perfect size for a sports watch. For me, at any rate.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Jcalder68
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:35 pm For those calling for no date (myself included), the pic drand references clearly shows a date.
It does show a date, but that photo must be of the current 39mm model. If it was the 36mm model, then the date window would be nearer the edge of the dial (because the movement requires the date window to be the same absolute distance from the centre regardless of what dial it is serving), probably resulting in the 6 marker disappearing entirely. But the 6 marker and date window position in the photo are exactly as per the 39mm version.

So it's still possible that the 36mm model could have no date. But, if I were a betting man, I would bet on the date remaining (and the handset style etc), but with the date window replacing the 6 marker. I have no insider info, so am just speculating.

I'm definitely in for one of these, assuming that the colours appeal. I've got black, white, dark blue and green already covered with other sports watches, but a light blue would be interesting (if drand's theory on the colours is correct). I always like the look of yellow dials too - until I buy them and end up going off them quickly - so I've got to try to rein in any attraction to any yellow dials that appear. That could be a real head vs heart argument for me!
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 3):
jkbarneswookiechew23Jcalder68
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

thomcat00 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 5:45 am I’d hope to see 20mm lugs for the case, and not something smaller. My oldest C5 takes 18mm straps and they just don’t feel secure and substantial to me. It’s a nice look but it doesn’t imply #GODO to me.
I'll have to disagree on this point. There is a big difference a 38mm (C5) and 36mm when it comes to an 18mm lug. My SMP is 36mm with 18mm lugs and it is the epitome of #GODO.
These users thanked the author Lavaine for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesJcalder68Stuart1thomcat00
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
CWgeek

Post by CWgeek »

New member here and rather new CW Sealander blue owner.

I find 39 perfect for the Sealander but if a 36 is to come out I wouldn’t change much except:

1. No date version.
2. Maybe one new color

Otherwise, it already rocks!
These users thanked the author CWgeek for the post:
Jcalder68
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

CWgeek wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:17 am New member here and rather new CW Sealander blue owner.

I find 39 perfect for the Sealander
So do I. Hello and welcome.

Please visit the Member Introduction section and tell us about yourself. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Jcalder68
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

I look forward to getting one in a nice colorful color to hold me over until I can get a rolex OP
These users thanked the author ScofieldReturns for the post:
Jcalder68
NoHoCo

Post by NoHoCo »

The textured green dial on the 38mm sealander is so great. Would love to see that in a 36mm case. Also white, but only if there’s some texture, grain, or something other than plain jane white.
I woulda been so excited for the 36 two or three years ago when I was so intent on finding something. But the microbrands were all saying that small doesn’t sell, so I eventually splurged on a fantastic, white, 34mm six-digit Oyster Perpetual, which has a visual 36mm-like presence on the wrist. LOL https://www.instagram.com/p/CckuA4QLcZ7
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Is it possible we might see the C63 GMT in 36mm? Would that be too crowded a dial to read with a GMT hand squeezed in? I have no reference point for this.
Drew
Internaut
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Internaut »

I'm unsure about whether I'd like a date window or not*. I wanted a potentially disposable watch for my (hopefully starting again soon) business trips into Africa* and ordered a "Explorer Homage" watch in the Ali Express sale. If I find I enjoy something simpler/dateless than a very parred down 36 would probably appeal.

* Accept for Zim. I reckon you walk around wearing an actual Explorer and be relatively un-pestered in downtown Harare.
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.