Recommend me a NATO type strap

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Internaut
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Recommend me a NATO type strap

Post by Internaut »

So, first post here in 15 years and my C5 Malvern is still running albeit in need of a service*. Anyway, the same day I ordered a Sea Lander GMT (chop-chop, CW), I bought one of THOSE Chinese Seagull watches. At the same time, I also ordered a quick release strap as I was expecting to dislike the NATO strap. Long story short, I actually quite like it. It’s cheap, nasty, coarse but works well and my occasionally allergy prone skin seems to like it. So, I think I’d rather have a better NATO type strap (and perhaps also something playful for the Sea Lander).

What do our assembled experts recommend? I’m after straps in size 18mm and 20mm.

* Another story altogether and I’m expecting to balk at the cost.
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Recommend me a NATO type strap

Post by exHowfener »

I'm sure that you will get plenty of replies, personally I'm currently wearing Prometheus Design Werx (PDW) strap with titanium hardware but I also rate the Phoenix NATO straps - although not funky. Apparently phoenix are the suppliers to the MOD which probably means they were the lowest tender.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

While technically not a NATO strap, I'm a big fan of the adjustable single pass straps from Cheapest Nato Straps. I like the soft fabric, and appreciate that they can be adjusted for length so that you don't have to tuck the end in.
My C60 bronze spends most of its time on one:
Attachments
20220418_210339.jpg
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Personally, I like the the 2-piece NATOs from Josh at WIAA. Quick Release pins too.

I have the Bond grey/black on my Bulova MoonWatch.

By the way! I’m not a big bronze fan, but C60 looks great on that strap. Congrats.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My two favourite suppliers for NATO straps are;-

Watchgecko and ukwatchstrap.co.uk

. . .both of whom offer a plentiful selection. Watchgecko are slightly more expensive but I find their quality good.

Happy hunting.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Internaut
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I really rate Haveston (my example here is an older model and no longer available). Apologies for the dirty strap in this photo - it isn't that obvious in person! :lol:
DSC_0045.JPG
They make canvas straps such as this which are lovely to wear - I find them really comfortable. They're actually single pass (so not true Natos) but they're quite thick so each strap bar (at least, without using curved bars) holds the watch quite tightly. I've got two which both arrived pretty soft and have also survived multiple washes in the washing machine (in a delicates bag). They dry pretty quickly when wet and in spite of lots of use haven't yet started showing too many signs of fraying (though one of the holes is wearing out a bit).
These users thanked the author monkeymax for the post:
Internaut
Internaut
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Internaut »

Thanks everyone. I ordered an 18mm NATO from WatchGecko. That will go on the Seagull. Now looking at the 20mm straps from all of the above.
Beat up vintage Swatch Irony, C5 Malvern (the original), Swiss Military Swiss Soldier Quartz, Seagull 1963, Swatch Blurang Automatic, Swatch Cafe de Flore, Sealander GMT, Trident Pro 600, Fitbit Charge 5. Festina 8810, Addiesdive AD2113 knock off.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

I'm a little late to the party here but two choices for me are MORA straps and ADPT straps from Worn & Wound. Neither of these are on the cheap side but they are VERY good quality NATOs.

The MORA straps are very close to Omega quality with hardware that is solid (machined from a single piece of metal with no bends or pins). The straps are very supple and conform well to the wrist. Very comfortable. They are on the longer side which is great for my 7.5 in wrist.

The ADPT straps are bomber. They are stiffer than the MORA but still comfortable to me. The hardware is top notch and they come in interesting colors. I would say I am at the maximum for length with my 7.5 in wrist. Any bigger and there would not be enough material to tuck.

I have also had good luck with B&R Bands NATOs. I bought a No Time To Die style NATO from them and it is very good quality. Strong hardware, comfortable and a good length.

MORA
20210316_170823555_iOS (2).jpg
ADPT
20200715_154215005_iOS (2).jpg

B&R
20211027_161728611_iOS (2).jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Internaut
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
BigPo

Post by BigPo »

I was a bit wary of Zuludiver but bought one recently, and have been impressed by the quality. Would recommend.
These users thanked the author BigPo for the post:
Internaut
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

the £6 grey nato from sectime is my fave
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
Internaut
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

The Ute NATO Straps from Hodinkee are also very good.

20220523_153518832_iOS.jpg
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Internaut
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Bark & Jack are very nice
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post:
rkovars