Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

The Origin of “Swish” and other tidbits

Post by jkbarnes »

Just got my copy of Loupe today. I found this little bit on p. 7 interesting:
“When the logo - a combination of the Swiss and English flags, hence ‘Swish’ - was created in 2015…”

The term makes some sense now.

Also, did anyone else notice this also on p. 7? It’s in reference to a new watch coming out in winter:
“And when you see it later in the year you’ll see - and hear! - why it’s been such a big undertaking.”

A repeater maybe?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 4):
ajax87thomcat00Jcalder68JasperCat
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: The Origin of “Swish” and other tidbits

Post by ajax87 »

Yes! Must be a minute repeater? They’ve been dropping hints for a while. I can’t wait for that one.

Also, page 11 confirmed a 36mm Sealander is coming later this year, which will be available in 6 colors, 4 being limited editions.

Pretty exciting stuff.

And per page 7, it will all have the Swish only logo. I guess I’ll just have to get used to it!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
JasperCat
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:51 am Also, page 11 confirmed a 36mm Sealander is coming later this year, which will be available in 6 colors, 4 being limited editions.
I’m quite excited for a 36mm Sealander! I’m curious about the color. Sounds like maybe they’re taken a page from Rolex’s with color offerings.

This is not good. I’ve come full circle on the Aquitaine and am quite excited for blue auto now, and now a 36mm Sealander, and I still want a GMT!
Drew
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

an ice blue 36mm sealander would be wonderful.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

golfjunky wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:38 am a nice blue 36mm sealander would be wonderful.
FTFY :lol:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
golfjunky
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

A 36mm Sealander? That really has attracted my attention!
My only prayer is that one version comes with a COSC movement, stainless case and black dial. If so, I’d happily sell on my Sandhurst to make room for a smaller sized watch in the box.
Now drumming fingers impatiently while waiting for “later this year”….

Keep well,

C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post:
jkbarnes
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:35 am A repeater maybe?
Not sure it will be a repeater. CW and Meistersinger are both part of Synergies Horlogeres and have shared similar movements in the past. Meistersinger have produced the Bell Hora watch which chimes the hour using a modified jumping hour movement.

https://www.meistersinger.com/int/product/bell-hora/

CW have used the SH based jumping hour movement under the JJ01 name in their now retired jumping hour watches.

https://www.christopherward.com/jj-calibres.html

Therefore I’d be amazed if this isn’t a CW watch using this movement to strike a chime on each hour. Unfortunately the Meistersinger sounds like someone hitting a tin bath with a spoon, so I hope if this prediction is correct, then CW produce a better sounding watch. I’d like to hear a chime rather than a thunk every hour if I had it on my wrist.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Interesting! I don't think the Bell Hora sounds too bad- scroll to 4:10

Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

richtel wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:21 pm Interesting! I don't think the Bell Hora sounds too bad- scroll to 4:10

This video makes it sound way better than in other videos of this watch that I’ve seen.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^^ I’ve heard it in other videos as well and we will never really know it sounds in real life until we hear it in real life. So far though I’ve been disappointed with the chimes I’ve heard.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I appreciate that watches which have some type of sound and bells etc might be technically complex and a celebration of watchmaking but I not sure I'd every want one.

I don't want to be the one who is sat explaining to someone that the sound they just heard is the hour or that I had just pressed a button and it has chimed to me the hours/minutes. Other watch functions seem practical, like date, timing functions but sounds just makes me think of it as a show off and a little gimmicky.

Is this a CW vanity project or does anyone own a watch that makes sounds like this or would want one?
Amor Vincit Omnia

A1soknownas wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:02 pm Is this a CW vanity project or does anyone own a watch that makes sounds like this or would want one?
Quite possibly

Alas, no

Most likely

The C60 Concept was a vanity project to my way of thinking, but it wasn’t my type of thing. Very popular, though. Depending on what it looks like, sounds like and does I might well be interested in this one.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:23 pm
A1soknownas wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:02 pm Is this a CW vanity project or does anyone own a watch that makes sounds like this or would want one?
Quite possibly
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:57 am You will understand that for a lot of new releases, especially new ranges, the Admin Team does get a bit of a sneak preview a few months earlier……
Do you know something we don’t?
Amor Vincit Omnia

iain wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:30 pm Do you know something we don’t?
Well, as Andrew and Alex surmised higher up the thread, it’s no secret that they are working on something audible, because they have said so themselves in the magazine.

Apart from that I was answering questions.

So, like the Concept, it is a new departure and therefore likely to be a demonstration of horological capabilities…in other words, a vanity project if you wish to call it that. Like the Jumping Hour, like the Single Pusher chronograph in their time. That was the first question.

The other two were a bit easier: no, I don’t have anything like that in my collection; and yes, I would like something like that depending on what it is, price, function, looks, size etc.
Steve

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ Sorry Steve, just being a bit cheeky in pushing to see if you know a bit more than we’re all just guessing at with this new watch.