Do I Have Too Many Quartz Chronographs

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Do I Have Too Many Quartz Chronographs

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

The correct answer is that only you know the answer, and the fact you are asking the question may lead you to your own answer…..

However, seeing as you ask , the answer, to me, is Yes! Usual caveat that this is actually MY personal opinion and I’m not a big Chrono fan. But, your thread did lead me to check my own modest collection and I too have 30% chronos. I don’t use the functionality but they all get wrist time

So, would I sell any of them? No. Would I buy another? Unlikely.
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Leon O
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Catsteeth-CW wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:42 pm I love Quartz and bought my ultimate personal quartz, SBGV 207 with the 9F. I currently have one other, and have just sold another.

But I don't like too many quartz, because like having to service auto/mechanical watches, you have to keep changing the battery.
So with that and your max collection size tolerance. I get itchy over 8 and very itchy over 12. That's gives you your answer.

Battery changing tolerance PLUS
Max collection(s) size GIVES
Number of quartz Chronographs.

See, makes total sense 🤔😉
Depending on how I count my watches, I have about 20. So I'm at the point of developing a rash.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
Catsteeth-CW
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

missF wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:06 pm So firstly I’d say that abstract questions like ‘do I have too many quartz chronos?’ don’t help you because that means you’re looking for other people to tell you how your collection should be. Perhaps you’d be happiest with a collection full of quartz chronos?

What helped me last time round the cycle when I wanted to cut down numbers was to run a wee series of experiments to see how i actually felt in my gut about particular watches, rather than my head. Gut makes better decisions because it can’t be fooled.

So set up the first experiment. As an example- perhaps you want to find out what it would be like if you cut the chronos down by half. So take half the chronos (doesn’t matter how you choose - might as well toss a coin) and put them in a cupboard. You are not allowed to look at them. Leave the door shut. Then run your rotation as before. Give it a few weeks - maybe a month. In that time you’ll know if your gut is giving you a niggle - either there will clearly be a watch or watches that you miss wearing, in which case resurrect them, or you’ll realise that you can do without a watch altogether because you haven’t missed it, in which case leave it in the cupboard to be sold.

You can set the experiment up with any subset of watches. :thumbup:
I haven't worn a Chronograph for 6 months, since I've started going in other directions. I'm now in a 4 watch rotation, other than my G-Shock and Santos when I need over night lume.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Leon O wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:38 pm I haven't worn a Chronograph for 6 months, since I've started going in other directions. I'm now in a 4 watch rotation, other than my G-Shock and Santos when I need over night lume.
So in my scheme you’d sell all your quartz chronograph S and that would be it. :problem:
Slightly less drastic would be to keep your favourite as a nostalgia trip and sell the rest - would that be a possibility for you?
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Leon O
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

How much wrist time do they get? How would you feel if you no longer owned a given watch? Do you have your eye on something else?

I can’t offer great advice as I have yet to sell a watch. Were I not wearing or enjoying a particular watch, I’d probably let it go.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
Leon O
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Over the past year I have downsized my collection and am much happier owning fewer watches that I wear more frequently. Only you can say whether you would be happy by downsizing or if you would miss those watches you have sold.

One word of caution on the advice to swap the many quartz for one mechanical chronograph. Mechanical chronographs will generally be thicker than quartz, so you may want to try on a few before heading off in that direction just to be certain.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Leon Othomcat00
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.