CW C65 Aquitaine at 2022 SF WindUp

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
marcosghost9

Re: CW C65 Aquitaine at 2022 SF WindUp

Post by marcosghost9 »

Thank you for all of the photos. I like the 6:00 index under the date window. These are really good looking watches with nice clean dials. It's interesting that they have already hinted at more colours.
These users thanked the author marcosghost9 for the post:
Bident
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ It’s quite normal to launch with fewer colours and add others in later. Last year the Sealander Auto and GMT launched with just black and white, this time they seem to have started with different colours.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Bident
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:15 am ^^^ @bident Thanks for the reply. Live pictures and your comments have moved the Aquitaine from a ‘no’ to a ‘maybe’.

I’ve seen a few comments from people about waiting for the sale. My hunch is that these won’t be available in the July sale as it’s too soon after launch. If they do appear, they’ll be in very small numbers.

Will be good to hear what you decide to do after your return to the event
I waited almost two years for my Mk3 C60 and picked up a Nearly New version in the January 2021 sale at 30% off. I was thinking I’ll probably have to wait that long for my crack at the Aquitaine, so no expectations for anytime sooner.
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

mvlow wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:19 pm Alex,

What do you think about the 6 o'clock index under the date window? Something was bugging me about it, and I finally realized it was because it looks like they just cut the top part of the index off without finishing the chamfer around it. It looks like they just stuck it on as an afterthought.

I looked at some other watches with 6 o'clock date windows and usually they either finish the chamfer around the whole index, or have no index. You can see some good examples if you look through the Non CW of the day thread. If you get a chance when you see the Aquitaine in the flesh again today, let me know what you think of this small detail. I've added a couple of examples to this post.
Malcolm, I know this message isn’t addressed to me, but if I remember I’ll try to take another look at the Aquitaine and examine both the six o’clock index and the red crown tube when I attend the show tomorrow.
Best regards,
John
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

tikkathree wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:31 pm
Bident wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:25 pm

The green C63 GMT really caught my eye, though. CW is allowing the use of the $125 discount at the fair, plus I wouldn't have to pay for any import duties, which would be levied otherwise since the purchase price is over US$800. I'm heading back Sunday, so I have a day and a change to mull it over..... :?
IMG_1265.jpeg

Oh excellent! That's a very timely photo so thank you. :thumbup: Supplementary question, was the non-GMT C63 there and did you compare them on wrist?
Yes, the three hand C63 was there, but I didn’t try it on because my friend has the white dialed model (purchased last year) so I have tried it on before (several times :D ). I think they wear very similarly and if one is comfortable with either model, the sibling will pretty much feel the same.
Best regards,
John
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Bident wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:22 pm

What do you think about the 6 o'clock index under the date window? Something was bugging me about it, and I finally realized it was because it looks like they just cut the top part of the index off without finishing the chamfer around it. It looks like they just stuck it on as an afterthought.

I looked at some other watches with 6 o'clock date windows and usually they either finish the chamfer around the whole index, or have no index. You can see some good examples if you look through the Non CW of the day thread. If you get a chance when you see the Aquitaine in the flesh again today, let me know what you think of this small detail. I've added a couple of examples to this post.
Malcolm, I know this message isn’t addressed to me, but if I remember I’ll try to take another look at the Aquitaine and examine both the six o’clock index and the red crown tube when I attend the show tomorrow.
John,

I actually was trying to address the message to you, but in my old age I read and typed the wrong name. :-?
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
Bident
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

mvlow wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:14 pm
Bident wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:22 pm

John,

I actually was trying to address the message to you, but in my old age I read and typed the wrong name. :-?
Ah…all the better then! As I mentioned in prior posts, I’m all too familiar with aging vision problems :lol:
These users thanked the author Bident for the post:
mvlow
Best regards,
John
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@mvlow

Good catch, Malcolm.

I looked back over a few examples of the design with the date at 6, and the first one that I really noted was the Monta. I doubt it would bother me though, to be honest.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
mvlow
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

JAFO wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:59 pm @mvlow

Good catch, Malcolm.

I looked back over a few examples of the design with the date at 6, and the first one that I really noted was the Monta. I doubt it would bother me though, to be honest.
This is the Monta Ocean King I've owned for a couple of years. I like how finished the index under the date window looks, compared to the "cut-off" index on the Aquitaine.

That being said, there is a lot to like with the Aquitaine and this minor design issue would probably not stop me from buying one. It is just a shame they didn't tidy up this tiny detail. I am pretty impressed with the overall design of the Aquitaine, especially the GMT.

Monta Ocean King-8489.jpg
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
Gar787
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Bident wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:18 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:15 am ^^^ @bident Thanks for the reply. Live pictures and your comments have moved the Aquitaine from a ‘no’ to a ‘maybe’.

I’ve seen a few comments from people about waiting for the sale. My hunch is that these won’t be available in the July sale as it’s too soon after launch. If they do appear, they’ll be in very small numbers.

Will be good to hear what you decide to do after your return to the event
I waited almost two years for my Mk3 C60 and picked up a Nearly New version in the January 2021 sale at 30% off. I was thinking I’ll probably have to wait that long for my crack at the Aquitaine, so no expectations for anytime sooner.
Respect to you and your patience/ restraint :clap:
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Bident
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

brash47 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:49 pm Yep, it's a looker!!!ImageImage

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
As I look at the whole line more and more, I think the bronze is the real stand out! I’ll be curious to see how it looks with a patina.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
MiniMpisjbroadhead
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

mvlow wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:25 pm
JAFO wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:59 pm @mvlow

Good catch, Malcolm.

This is the Monta Ocean King I've owned for a couple of years. I like how finished the index under the date window looks, compared to the "cut-off" index on the Aquitaine.

That being said, there is a lot to like with the Aquitaine and this minor design issue would probably not stop me from buying one. It is just a shame they didn't tidy up this tiny detail. I am pretty impressed with the overall design of the Aquitaine, especially the GMT.

Monta Ocean King-8489.jpg
Going off topic, but that Monta is a looker 😍
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
mvlow
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

A simple thanks, John, for posting this up with pics and your experience at the show. Much appreciated that you took the time and trouble to share with folks on the forum :thumbup:

As for my own take on this new line, I like it a lot (especially in Sand/Green) but don't really need another diver and I'm still in love after a few years now with my C65 Trident Diver. I seem to remember though that they were talking about giving Aquitaine its own unique model number, not C65?
Did this come up in discussions at the booth?
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
Bident
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Bident »

Noush wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:10 am A simple thanks, John, for posting this up with pics and your experience at the show. Much appreciated that you took the time and trouble to share with folks on the forum :thumbup:

As for my own take on this new line, I like it a lot (especially in Sand/Green) but don't really need another diver and I'm still in love after a few years now with my C65 Trident Diver. I seem to remember though that they were talking about giving Aquitaine its own unique model number, not C65?
Did this come up in discussions at the booth?
My pleasure, Chris. The C65 designation did not come up, but I'm returning to the show tomorrow and will bring it up (unless I forget, apologies in advance if that's the case). I'm also still in love with my blue C65 Trident Diver :thumbup:
Best regards,
John
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Bident wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:40 pm The picture of the strap/buckle shows the new keeper system, a simple loop that prevents the keeper from sliding around
That’s a strange addition to a strap, surely the point of having the second keeper is that you move it along the length of the excess strap and don’t position it next to the fixed keeper.

I do have straps where they live side by side, but all the CW straps I’ve owned have always had quite a lot of extra strap and I need to move the keeper to hold it in place.

I assume it is like this so it can be cut loose if needed, but it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
David. SBident
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.