It checks all the boxes, and yet…

Post by jkbarnes »

…I’m not sure if I like it.

☑️ Vintage styling

☑️ Blancpain vibes

☑️ Sapphire bezel

☑️ Box crystal

☑️ Blobs, not batons, and a good size at that

☑️ Bigger bezel with smaller dial - proper proportions!

☑️ Not too big

☑️ Color combo I’ve lusted after (admittedly, the reference for this is the Trident GMT with green bezel and white dial, not a pure diver)

I mean, it literally checks all my boxes. At yet, I’m iffy on it. I thought I knew what I wanted, but maybe I didn’t? Anyone else experience this - a wishlist that seems to fall flat when it comes to fruition?

04CAD258-76C6-4870-9184-1708F33F875C.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 5):
cincfleetMccoolgKalli64albionphotoJasperCat
Drew
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: It checks all the boxes, and yet…

Post by tikkathree »

Ooh, the tricky problem: boxes ticked and yet..... :silent: :silent:

can you express why it's not working for you?

At this stage the only other comment I can offer is that it could still go either way.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

tikkathree wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:24 pm can you express why it's not working for you?

At this stage the only other comment I can offer is that it could still go either way.
Good question. I think it’s the vintage lume against the cream dial and on the bezel. If it was white, I’m wondering if I’d think differently? And as you say, it can still go either way. Also, I think the color combo takes it further away from a straight up diver. If it were a GMT, this wouldn’t be an issue. But with a 3-hander, I guess I’m drawn to a more traditional color way?

It’s the all green color way that has commanded my attention, much to my surprise.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve walked away from watches that were real box tickers. The C9SS when it came out was a case in point, though I’m delighted that I have one now. I have done it with the Malvern 595 and I have done it with the Moonglow. In the case of those two my rationale was quite simple; I didn’t need them and I wouldn’t want to think of them sitting in a box unworn. I have done the same thing with other brands as well.

All I will say is that if you are unsure, then you’re probably unsure for a reason and my advice would be to sit on your hands. Others might tell you differently.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:46 pm All I will say is that if you are unsure, then you’re probably unsure for a reason and my advice would be to sit on your hands. Others might tell you differently.
Agreed, especially at the new price points. To invest that amount, and to have to explain a new purchase to my wife, I need to be “all in” without any hesitations.

And by the way, I posted this not for people to try to convince me one way or the other, but to see who else has experienced this. It’s interesting to hear about your experience with the C9SS. What changed between initial release to now?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'm finding it depends on which model and variant you're looking at.

I can't warm to the white sand/green on strap but the all green on bracelet, looks a much more viable option; pity I recently bought an all green Seiko Sumo. :-k :-k

Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 16-54-09 C65 Aquitaine Automatic Christopher Ward.png

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Kalli64
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:52 pm It’s interesting to hear about your experience with the C9SS. What changed between initial release to now?
I agonised over that one. The main drawback with the watch itself was that I felt it was too tall. I was in a phase where everything needed to be ultra-slim. That changed a bit when certain other watches came along. I was also beginning to get the feeling that I wanted a Cartier Tank. Also at the time I had a taste for expensive watches and expensive holidays**, and it was a period before inheritances and retirement changed things. I have said before that faced with a choice between a watch and a holiday I took the holiday every time.

So no one thing in particular.

** I still do, and if the choice ever presented itself the answer would be the same.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesKalli64
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:57 pm I'm finding it depends on which model and variant you're looking at.

I can't warm to the cream/green on strap but the all green on bracelet, looks a much more viable option.
Yes, this is the one that has grabbed my attention, especially when seeing it look darker in a YouTube video and John’s recently posted pics. Not sure if I like it on the bracelet though, which surprises me.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Kalli64
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:17 pm
6D1AA0EB-530C-4285-B8A9-E1E9695E5290.jpeg
You know what’s funny? Put a black bezel on this, and I’d be all over it, I think.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
MoroKalli64
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

My first CW watch was the bronze/blue C60, which I sold. I have occasionally thought of rebuying it, but demurred.

My instant wow was for the new C65 bronze, which would be both a replacement and improvement A svelte and ideal 41mm instead of 43mm. Assured COSC accuracy. That lovely lumed sapphire bezel and box sapphire crystal. The sunray dial. The display case back. Not sure about the handset or the indexes, but they look fine. Maybe the bezel is slightly too wide compared with the dial, but I doubt that would be a problem.

What's different is I now have too many watches, as my wife frequently reminds me, and I don't really need yet another watch to wear perhaps just 20 days a year, so there's no rush to buy any new watch at all and I'm trying to avoid purchases this year.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesKalli64
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I hear you Andrew. It’s a lovely watch but I can’t help thinking it would have been better for a bit of dial texture: a sunray finish or discreet pattern. It just appears a little flat to me. I think the date window would have benefited from being framed also. It just looks a little washed out to me, but it still has charm.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesKalli64
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Sometimes people talk about a thing be greater than the sum of all its parts but in this case for you it seems the opposite.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesKalli64
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

I do like the design. But please, i do not want/need a gmt. I would like a white face blue bezel auto, nothing fancy :thumbup:
These users thanked the author cincfleet for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesKalli64
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Head-wise decisions ie deciding in advance through box ticking what you want in a watch, will never guarantee your gut will like a watch and wear it a lot. They’re two totally different decision-making processes.

My one watch boxes that I composed recently included non-diver, day-date, ETA/Sellita, white dial, definitely not blue! I’ve just bought the no-date, IHM, be-bezelled , ice monster! :lol:

Boxes can really help answer specific questions I think, but not the question of how do I find a watch I want to wear a lot? :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Kalli64
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

golfjunky wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:03 pm Sometimes people talk about a thing be greater than the sum of all its parts but in this case for you it seems the opposite.
That might be the perfect way to put it. It’s exactly that.
Drew