Well out of COSC spec

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: Well out of COSC spec

Post by nowttolose »

After 2 months my watch has been returned regulated to COSC standard (hopefully- I’m timing it now).

I sent the watch head off to CW in a small well packed box. The watch head was returned in a massive standard CW box.

Seems like a waste not only for postage, but for the environment. Does CW not do small travel pouches for return of watches, especially if it is only a watch head?
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
colonelkernel8

Post by colonelkernel8 »

When I first got my C60 Abyss SH21 measured it and I was seeing -8 to -12 seconds/day and a beat error of well over 1 ms. This seemed super wrong to me so I started moving the watch around in my timegrapher pickup. Turns out it must've been measuring some other harmonic/metal-to-metal contact or something, because when I inserted it such that the crown was facing the piezo pickup (have to essentially "suspend" the watch head so the crown fits in the groove in the pickup) and turn up the gain to max (your room needs to be dead silent) the measurements resolved to <1 second/day and 0.0 ms beat error, in line with the COSC measurement sheet. I tested it in all positions and the results reflected the COSC measurement sheet as well.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Out of interest, did you actually consider wearing it in order to determine whether it was gaining or losing? I bought an SH21 chronometer a few weeks ago and a day or two on the wrist told me all I needed to know.

Welcome to the forum. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
colonelkernel8

Post by colonelkernel8 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:13 pm ^^^ Out of interest, did you actually consider wearing it in order to determine whether it was gaining or losing? I bought an SH21 chronometer a few weeks ago and a day or two on the wrist told me all I needed to know.

Welcome to the forum. 8)
Haha, when I buy a COSC watch I usually slap it on the timegrapher just to see if it may have been damaged in transit before I wear it. I know Christopher Ward has a great return policy, I just don't always buy from Christopher Ward. Now that I've been wearing it I know it doesn't gain or lose more than a second or two a week.

Furthermore, in this case I was sizing the bracelet so the watch was just sitting there and I decided to put it on the timegrapher while I was working on the bracelet.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

colonelkernel8 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:22 pm Haha, when I buy a COSC watch I usually slap it on the timegrapher…
I’m a bit non-technical, me, so I don’t have one of those. I slap it on the wrist, set it to a suitable time signal and see what happens.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)