Christopher Ward about to rebrand as......

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

If not Christopher Ward then by what name should the company, the brand and the watches be known?

Poll ended at Sat May 21, 2022 8:30 pm

TWIN FLAGS
13%
TWIN CROSSES
No votes
LEFTY AND RIGHTY
No votes
FLAGGY McFLAGFACE
37%
CHRIS WARD
No votes
CHRISTOPHER WARD
26%
OH IT'S THAT ENGLISH/SWISS BRAND, YOU KNOW THE ONE.....
2%
THE WATCH FORMERLY KNOWN BY A MAN'S NAME NOT DANIEL, RICHARD, PHILIPPE,
No votes
FRANKLY MY DEAR I DON'T GIVE A DANG
No votes
LOUPE
2%
CHRISTOPHER WARD, LONDON
7%
IT'S HIDDEN ON THE ROTOR, LET ME SHOW YOU
2%
TAKE IT EASY BRO, IT'S ONLY A WATCH
11%

Total votes: 54

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Christopher Ward about to rebrand as......

Post by tikkathree »

Young man this is very good and whilst it doesn't change my mind at all, I don't want to receive letters through the post telling me that my watch was recently caught speeding :lol: :lol:

and I'm confident
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:34 am There's no 'about to rebrand' about it; in my view.

Think about this whole logo / name situation and relate it to cars. In the main you get;-

Front of car on the bonnet or radiator grille, a logo badge; no name - DIAL

Rear of car on the tailgate or boot, logo badge but with the Manufacturer name alongside, above or below - CASEBACK.

Simples. :eek: :eek:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I am still not sure, other than that it is normal for the name to be on the dial, why there seems such an adverse reaction to the lack of name, particularly with all the kickstarter comments.

I have zero interest in anyone knowing what watch I am wearing in real life, so no brand name on the dial is a positive advantage.

If folk just think it looks strange without it, we’ll I sort of get that. Difficult for me to argue that one, given I spent years looking at CW watches with a name stuck in a strange position and thought - that’s weird and doesn’t work for me. :)

But if the objection is “no one will recognise that I am wearing a Christopher Ward luxury watch, did I mention it’s a luxury watch” then that all sounds a bit needy.

If it’s out of concern that someone’s favourite brand may have made a mistake with their design language, and this could Impact on the sales volume and success of the company then fair enough.

Mind you I think the chap at CW who designs the watches, probably knows a bit more about watch design than any of us. I reckon he is even good enough perhaps, to play a role in designing a rather desirable high end integrated bracelet SS sports watch. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
StrapMeisterjkbarnes
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:59 am Young man this is very good and whilst it doesn't change my mind at all, I don't want to receive letters through the post telling me that my watch was recently caught speeding :lol: :lol:

and I'm confident
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:34 am There's no 'about to rebrand' about it; in my view.

Think about this whole logo / name situation and relate it to cars. In the main you get;-

Front of car on the bonnet or radiator grille, a logo badge; no name - DIAL

Rear of car on the tailgate or boot, logo badge but with the Manufacturer name alongside, above or below - CASEBACK.

Simples. :eek: :eek:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
:lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol:

PS> I've not entered a vote, by the way. :wink: :wink:
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

be careful of splinters on that fence
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post (total 2):
Morotikkathree
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

What :shock:
...they haven't rebranded to ORIS yet :silent: :lol:

Seriously though, I think it's quite a bold move.
The brand name (Christopher Ward) is still there albeit on the rotor on the back of the watch (e.g. a la Concept) or around the case back rim (a la C7 Apex) - both of which use the twin flag logo on the dial.

People will see the aesthetic of the watch on your wrist first and, if they are fascinated by it, might enquire about the brand, after all the twin flags logo is used by other brands specifically on Motorsport themed watches, where upon you can remove the watch and let them have a look and, at some point, look at the case back and discover the brand.

The term/expression "flying below the radar" springs to mind.
These users thanked the author StrapMeister for the post:
Stuart1
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

missF wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 pm Where’s ‘the artist formerly known as CW’?? :D
Oh. My pet sighs. I'll get my coat :escape:
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I thought it was My dog sh1ts
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
JAFO
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

golfjunky wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:09 pm I thought it was My dog sh1ts
You don't like the eponymous do you?
These new C65 crystals seem similar to the TB crystals, in terms of the distortion effects, I think.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

im torn on the new C65's. I like it but not enough to buy. I do not mind a raised crystal.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

StrapMeister wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:48 pm What :shock:
...they haven't rebranded to ORIS yet :silent: :lol:

Seriously though, I think it's quite a bold move.
The brand name (Christopher Ward) is still there albeit on the rotor on the back of the watch (e.g. a la Concept) or around the case back rim (a la C7 Apex) - both of which use the twin flag logo on the dial.

People will see the aesthetic of the watch on your wrist first and, if they are fascinated by it, might enquire about the brand, after all the twin flags logo is used by other brands specifically on Motorsport themed watches,
The last time I received an enquiry about the watch on my wrist, other than my wife asking "Is that new?" just to get a rise or one of the kids being kind to their old man, honestly was in the early 1990s so maybe if the words go from the dial there'll be a greater level of interest shown but somehow I doubt it.
StrapMeister wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:48 pm where upon you can remove the watch and let them have a look and, at some point, look at the case back and discover the brand.

The term/expression "flying below the radar" springs to mind.
Well I'm not doing that in a public place! :shock: :shock: "Hey come back with my watch!! Check the back, you'll see it's only a Christopher Ward.... just put it down and I'll come over and pick it off the floor! :oops: "
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Every day being a learning day I just googled that......... and got a lot of canine veterinary advice :headbash: Tried it with i replacing the 1: ssame stuff about faecal matter.
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

tikkathree wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:38 pm
Every day being a learning day I just googled that......... and got a lot of canine veterinary advice :headbash: Tried it with i replacing the 1: ssame stuff about faecal matter.
It's a sort of in joke. Do you need assistance or are you not really bothered?
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

I like the twin flag logo but you still need a brand name. I was thinking we all abbreviate Christopher Ward to CW so maybe its a logical move to just have the letters CW as the brand pronounced Cee double you. CW. And maybe get a professional company to incorporate the twin flags logo with the letters C and W. That's above my pay grade how it wound look but I think that could be a winner.

OK i''ll grab my hat....
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Just because the company has moved the twin flags logo to front and center doesn’t mean they have to change their name. Diminishing the name’s presence doesn’t call for a name change. Is the thinking the name should change because the man is gone? Rolls Royce remained with the same name despite one of the founding owners dying after only 6 years back in 1910.

Keep the name as it is; the logo is not the name.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 3):
0uatiOWKiptikkathree
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

How about Hopping Logo?
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi