Re: C65 Aquitaine Collection - Released

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Re: C65 Aquitaine Collection - Released

Post by golfjunky »

I doubt the 5yr story but if true was cw already thinking of leaving or already being pushed?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Quality Man
Senior
Senior

Post by Quality Man »

So I think we can safely say that initial impressions on here are ‘mixed’! Can’t see this one ending up a forum favourite unfortunately, although I suspect when we all get used to the logo only and when a black dial variant comes along, that may change.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Looking at the spec, and I think it’s been mentioned, but one of my concerns is the taper from 22mm to 16.5mm

If someone removes 3 links on one side, because of small wrists or the way they like to have clasp in a particular position, would the remaining links still connect?

If this seems a stupid question but that’s quite a tapering down, so am I right or am I overthinking the problem?
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
Jcalder68
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:53 am Looking at the spec, and I think it’s been mentioned, but one of my concerns is the taper from 22mm to 16.5mm

If someone removes 3 links on one side, because of small wrists or the way they like to have clasp in a particular position, would the remaining links still connect?

If this seems a stupid question but that’s quite a tapering down, so am I right or am I overthinking the problem?
Good question and one that would interest me as I always need to remove some links from a bracelet.

I'd assume the removable links were closer to the end links of the bracelet rather than the clasp so that the taper was still continous and even - otherwise I agree that could look quite strange.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

My initial thoughts on the watches. I have previously admired a FF style sapphire bezel so that appeals, similarly like the applied indices, twin flags, handset, all looks good. The C65 case was already a winner for me so again that's a tick. Overall impression favourable.

For the colourways, have seen the couple of youtube videos with real life shots, the bronze GMT looks gorgeous, but I'm not sure I could go for another bronze watch as I'm less keen once the bronze patinates. If it could be preserved in the original raw state without having to get the lemon juice out every other week then I'd be a buyer.

The all green is also interesting, I'm quite tempted by that. Probably wait to see a few more real life photos or maybe visit Maidenhead myself when down in London in a couple of months time.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:53 am Looking at the spec, and I think it’s been mentioned, but one of my concerns is the taper from 22mm to 16.5mm

It’s a bit hard to tell without getting my callipers out, but from looking at the bracelet for my C65 Dartmouth, it seems that all the removable links are the same widths. The “taper” is therefore only over the non-removable links; this way no matter how many links are removed from either side of the clasp the last remaining one will always fit the clasp.
This does not look too bad with the existing taper of 22mm to 18mm (?) but it will be interesting to see how a more aggressive 22-16mm taper looks and feels like on the wrist.
Keep well,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

For me, there is a lot to like here!

Positives:
Biggest positive is the sapphire bezel. I never realised it was half again as hard as ceramic and, with the potential for near endless colours, it looks to be a winner.
COSC option, although limited to just one.
Overall size I like (assuming the additional drape of the lugs and shorter overall length really does make it wear smaller).
Additional taper on the bracelet
Bracelet with screw pins
Symmetry of the dial with flags at 12 and date at 6
Overall “proportions” and openness of the dial.
Screw-down crown and 200m water resistance.

My “Meh” Points/Questions:
Will new leather straps be available in shorter sizes as a few years ago?
Will a matte black dial/bronze case/COSC movement be an option in the future?

This is definitely a good start, but I’d need to see one in a showroom visit to fully make my mind up.

Keep well,
C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post:
albionphoto
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Christopher Ward about to rebrand as......

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Logo debate? I'm fine with the Twin Flags only on the dial.

Think about this whole logo / name situation and relate it to cars. In the main you get;-

Front of car on the bonnet or radiator grille, a logo badge; no name - DIAL

Rear of car on the tailgate or boot, logo badge but with the Manufacturer name alongside, above or below - CASEBACK.

Simples. :eek: :eek:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 5):
albionphotoMiniMpiChris375JasperCatthomcat00
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Christopher Ward about to rebrand as......

Post by A1soknownas »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:37 am Logo debate? I'm fine with the Twin Flags only on the dial.

Think about this whole logo / name situation and relate it to cars. In the main you get;-

Front of car on the bonnet or radiator grille, a logo badge; no name - DIAL

Rear of car on the tailgate or boot, logo badge but with the Manufacturer name alongside, above or below - CASEBACK.

Simples. :eek: :eek:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
But it is a watch not a car!

Similarly, I wouldn't compare the design and use of branding on a microwave to a watch either :lol:.

If a car changed their layout and say had the name at the front instead of the logo or the logo set to the left rather than the centre it would generate a discussion.

Definitely a mixture of views but there was a very large ask for twin flags, particularly in the future C60 mk4 debate so they have listened it seems and delivered.

Might get more on board than the old negatives that people had so generally I guess it will be more appealing overall, even if some are left behind.
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

I have zero issue with the twin flags without the name. Those who are wearing the watch know it is a CW - those who are buying the watch know they are on the CW website.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

:shock: Wow are these amazing. Everything is perfect. Logo is simple and straight to the point. No more fighting over the left side dominance or changing the name to WARD or something else equally as horrible. The logo is in the middle and it LOOKS GOOD. Dial is fun and classy. Sapphire bezel is gorgeous and different than the norm. The whole package just hearkens back to a different time and stands out from most on the market. These are my two favorite colors but all four are great. =P~

From the impactful logo to the total execution of the design... this is a huge step up from CW and the best looking watch they've ever made. Fight me.
These users thanked the author DEV.Woulf for the post (total 3):
golfjunkyjkbarnesThunder1
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

a colour matched date wheel would of been nice.
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
rc51owner
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Can somebody show a picture of the clasp?

I still think at 16.5mm, it will look too small for a man’s wrist.

Happy to be proved wrong tho!

It’s interesting that all pics are from the front.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

DEV.Woulf wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:05 am ... this is a huge step up from CW and the best looking watch they've ever made. Fight me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant post! :clap: And while I don’t love everything about the new Aquitaine, I agree it’s a huge step and a great looking watch overall.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
DEV.Woulf
Drew
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

TheBeatles wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:16 am Can somebody show a picture of the clasp?

I still think at 16.5mm, it will look too small for a man’s wrist.

Happy to be proved wrong tho!

It’s interesting that all pics are from the front.
Prob cos MF doesnt want you thinking its a CW and not an MF :lol: