The future is Aquitaine... ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: The future is Aquitaine... ?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:05 pm At the very least I hope we will get a definitive pronunciation of “Aquitaine” from CW when the line is launched. ;)
It will be “Ak-wee-tayn” which is the standard pronunciation used in English. Stress on first syllable. I’m pretty sure of that.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
thomcat00MiniMpi
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:52 pm
suicidal_orange wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:55 pm Does that mean they will no longer have the signature second hand? That's a pretty major change in my book.
That could well be classified. Unless anyone knows differently of course. :wink:
The teaser picture in loupe magazine showed a trident second hand.

758CC0F5-E5A1-49D1-A1AF-163611261AF9.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
JasperCatJcalder68
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ So, putting two and two together and extrapolating the square root of sixteen, what might that lead us to assume?
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Judging by the teaser, if it is losing the Trident moniker in favour of Aquitaine (100% agree on the pronunciation per Steve) then it still has the Trident second hand :?

Good to see the applied indices (remind me a bit of my SMP) and twin flags logo at 12. I wonder if the CW wordmark will be gone altogether rather than appear at 9 o'clock.

Bezel has a 50 fathoms look to me although difficult to take too much from the sketch.

All very intriguing...... :-k
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:29 pm ^^^ So, putting two and two together and extrapolating the square root of sixteen, what might that lead us to assume?
I'm so glad you teach the classics. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:29 pm ^^^ So, putting two and two together and extrapolating the square root of sixteen, what might that lead us to assume?
That the preferred pronunciation of the name of the watch will be the key to world domination. :lol: :lol: I'm favouring Ah-ki-ten personally just by way of being ahead of the curve or contrariness. I may be alone in this. :oops:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
ralfybaby
Senior
Senior

Post by ralfybaby »

tikkathree wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:02 pm
That the preferred pronunciation of the name of the watch will be the key to world domination. :lol: :lol: I'm favouring Ah-ki-ten personally just by way of being ahead of the curve or contrariness. I may be alone in this. :oops:
You most certainly are not monsoor.
No "w" after the q. As in "qu'est ce qui se passe?" No "w" sounds anywhere.
And the "aine" similar to the english "again" the short pronunciation not the "agayyyyn" pronunciation.
You can add a very brief almost silent "uh" after the "ten"
ralfybaby
Senior
Senior

Post by ralfybaby »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:34 pm
thomcat00 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:05 pm At the very least I hope we will get a definitive pronunciation of “Aquitaine” from CW when the line is launched. ;)
It will be “Ak-wee-tayn” which is the standard pronunciation used in English. Stress on first syllable. I’m pretty sure of that.
Methinks on the last syllabe. As in "Parisienne."
Amor Vincit Omnia

I’m not trying to tell you how it SHOULD be pronounced, gents. I’m a French speaker and would love it to be pronounced in the French way.

However, I am presuming to say how I think it WILL be pronounced. I have a slight advantage in that I have listened to Mike France talking about it, and he definitely pronounced it the “English” way. :lol:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
JasperCatthomcat00
Steve

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

In a similar way Johnny Cash had the concert at Saint Kwen-Tin, but the town in northern France is San Con-Tan.

We mentioned this earlier I think.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
tikkathree
Amor Vincit Omnia

JAFO wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:23 pm …the town in northern France is San Con-Tan.
sɛ̃ kɑ̃tɛ̃ (three nasal vowels)

There is of course some divergence between the US and UK English pronunciations of certain place names.

The other week I was in a city that most of the English speaking world pronounces KIE (like pie) - RO. I seem to remember Bill Bryson wrote that the one in Illinois is pronounced Kay-Ro.

The one in Alabama is BURR-MING-HAEM. The original in England is BIR-MIN-GUM (or BRUMMAGEM)

But English speakers from all quarters have always got foreign place names gloriously wrong! :lol:
Steve

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:43 pm But English speakers from all quarters have always got foreign place names gloriously wrong! :lol:
My wife is from Massachusetts. There are places there I don’t even try to pronounce because I know it’s going to be completely wrong and don’t want to look like a fool up there, Worcester being the quintessential example - Woostah! Many of these names are English place names, as it seems the settlers couldn’t be bothered to come up with new names. :lol:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaJasperCat
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:56 pm Many of these names are English place names, as it seems the settlers couldn’t be bothered to come up with new names. :lol:
A bit like Washington, County Durham you mean? Rumour has it that one of the descendants of the local landowning family gave his name to some village in the colonies, I can’t remember quite where.

Anyway, the Massachusetts pronunciation of Worcester appears to be correct, and Gloucester was also correct in the film A Perfect Storm.
Steve

rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:43 pm

The other week I was in a city that most of the English speaking world pronounces KIE (like pie) - RO. I seem to remember Bill Bryson wrote that the one in Illinois is pronounced Kay-Ro.
Yep, Illinoians completely f up pronunciations. They actually pronounce San Jose with a long O like Joe's. The above is absolutely correct. I went to college in the area. Our mascot was the Saluki. The southern part of the state is known as little Egypt.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia

rkovars wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:16 pm The southern part of the state is known as little Egypt.
Isn’t there a part of New York state where all the place names are from ancient Greece?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
thomcat00
Steve