Watch Search

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MadeInYorkshire

Watch Search

Post by MadeInYorkshire »

Hi Everyone
I've just joined the forum as I may be reaching the end of a long search for a new watch.

My wife bought me a Citizen Eco Drive chronograph for my 50th and it's been a great watch. Titanium body and strap made it lovely and light and the 37mm diameter helped it fit nicely on my not overly large wrist. Unfortunately the Eco Drive capacitor has slowly been losing its efficiency and when I enquired about getting it replaced the cost made me think it was time to get a new watch instead.

As I said at the beginning, it's been a long search and watches that have come close to being bought have come from the Hamilton and Sinn companies. Christopher Ward C63 Sealanders though have always been at the back of my mind and another look at the website has put them very high up the list again, if not maybe even top. I suspect that if I'd been able to physically see them and try them on that I may well now be the owner of one.

I therefore do need to see them and I have two options. I go down to Maidenhead and visit the showroom. Or, I choose maybe a couple or three that I really like and buy them, knowing that if I don't like them or they just don't wear nicely, that I can return them for a full refund. The problem is though that there are so many permutations of the Sealander, many of which I really like the look of.

I think what I'd like is some advice from far wiser watch buyers than myself is what they think I should do.

Many thanks
David
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Watch Search

Post by 0uatiOW »

If you have time, make a day of it, visit CW in Maidenhead, and pop over to the Bremont Manufacturing Centre in nearby Henley.

Even if you skip the Wing (Bremont), the trip to CW Towers will pay off - you’ll get to see & try on several watches, some of which you may not have considered until you see them for real. You may like something unexpectedly.

Much more fun than buying a few with the intention of returning most of them.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
jkbarnes
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

You can also contact Christopher Ward and arrange a virtual showroom experience with them to explore the options. Perhaps that is a good first step before making the journey to HQ in person. I have not used the service yet myself but several members here have. Have a great time searching and researching these amazing watches.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
jkbarnes
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by David. S »

A trip to Maidenhead would be my advice, not only can you try on all of the sealanders on your hit list, you can also try some of the larger cased watches, 40mm, 42mm c60 for example, too see how they wear on your wrist , you may be pleasantly surprised.

David.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

If the trek to Maidenhead is a bit far, I would definitely suggest a virtual showroom appointment. You've got nothing much to lose by doing that first and it will probably help you determine which colour schemes you prefer, if not the size. You could then order a handful of options that are in the running and return those you that don't want to keep once you've tried them on and seen them in the metal. That's what the 60/60 guarantee is for, after all.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
MadeInYorkshire

Post by MadeInYorkshire »

Many thanks for all the replies and apologies for not replying sooner. I think the virtual showroom is probably a good place to start before possibly either committing to travel to Maidenhead or making a purchase.

Just one other query. What sort of accuracy would I expect with one of the C63 Sealander's? My current watch is quartz regulated so I never have to adjust the time apart for twice a year when the clocks go back and forth.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The Sellita SW200-1 as used in the C63 Sealander Automatic is quoted at +/- 20 s/d. I think most people find timekeeping more accurate than that.

I had the GMT version in Greece last September and it ran an average of +3 s/d over 2 weeks.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
marcosghost9

Post by marcosghost9 »

As someone who is in a similar situation (I am considering a Sealander as my very first Christopher Ward purchase) this information is very helpful. Thank you. I am so glad I found this forum!