The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by jkbarnes »

I was in bed by 9:30 last night. Not because I had somewhere I need to be early this morning or because I was feeling sick. I was just tired.

Man, what the hell happened to me?! Thirty years ago I was having a shot to get primed for a Friday night before heading out at 9:30. The night was just beginning. Now I’m in bed playing Wordle before turning the lights off.

Getting old sucks.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 4):
Gar787kiter65Viognierscampbell61
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

My wife and I got a room for the night in downtown Frederick, MD, to celebrate our anniversary. The home is old (by American standards at least - 1845), the location is perfect, and the room is lovely.

But….

The room is accessed from a landing above a first floor retail space that offers little privacy.

It has a shared bathroom with another room (not a big deal) but affords little privacy in accessing the bathroom - right at the top of that very public landing coming from the retail space below.

The bed is situated right at the door so that anyone in the bed is completely exposed when one opens the door…the door that opens onto this very public landing.

The power has flickered about have a dozen times now…old wiring. And my wife can’t use her hairdryer because of that wiring.

It’s these little things that are really killing the vibe for us.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

1) I just saw a student dip her pizza in ranch dressing and it disgusts me! This might be a sign of the apocalypse.

2) If you’re on the clock take your AirPods out and stop talking on your phone! Do your job!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Viognierscampbell61
Drew
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I get that energy raw material costs have increased and I understand why those costs will be passed to the consumer. But I don't get why that means the standing charge (per day) would increase 4-fold. ****.
Richard
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

The thread about 'Life and travel before the internet' puts me in mind of an irritation that is perhaps the opposite: You go (personally in person) into a physical shop to buy something so you can take it home. No, they don't have that available in store - would you like to order it over the internet for home delivery? Well, no I wouldn't. If I wanted to do that, I would have stayed at home wouldn't I?
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
Viognier
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Grrr I paid £1.76 per litre for Super Unleaded yesterday. :thumbdown:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

The rain here is coming down sideways and it looks like it’ll be like this all day.

I have a cat who wants to go out, until he goes out and then he wants to come immediately back in. However he doesn’t seem to understand that the rain he went out in 5 minutes ago is still coming down and he doesn’t need to keep getting me up and down from my chair every 5 minutes to find out.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Snow is getting rather deep here on the plains. Getting hard to stay dug out and still make It to work. :thumbdown:
72668EF5-F1C5-48C2-8DA3-30CE78E604A8.jpeg
3ED066EB-842D-4DC9-9ADA-6E1706B12C50.jpeg
5E841A00-19F9-44AD-B533-74D43932EE25.png
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

This screenshot shows the major route from near where I live heading towards the M62 junction that takes me east to Leeds and beyond.

In 2016 the Boxing Day floods severely damaged Elland bridge which is marked with the pointer. This took two years to repair which caused absolute chaos in the area as the road was closed.

Then in 2019 floods near Cromwell bottom nature reserve washed away parts of the road so again it was shut off. It only opened about two weeks ago.

Today local Facebook groups are showing flooding once again causing this stretch of road to collapse, you can see the canal and the river Calder in the pictures which again are overflowing. I really hope there’s not another two years of chaos ahead……

161009C6-6C4B-49C0-A3A5-169190E6AA53.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Quite a few RAF jets in the skies of Lincolnshire this morning, hope it’s not a sign of things to come
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You have to love the weather forecasting services.....

I have 2 apps plus had a look at the TV guys for a forecast. A snow storm is due to start overnight (at 1:00 am according to one of them).

The prediction(s) is for 2-18 inches. Talk about covering your backend! In this day and age this is the best they can do?
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 2):
watchaholicViognier
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I don't understand why I can't have a conversation with my eldest daughter.
It seems my viewpoint isn't valid anymore, unless it's DIY related.

Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
watchaholic
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

People who try to impose their will on somebody else.

That just isn't right.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post (total 5):
kiter65DickchinsstraplineThe Snakes HandViognier
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

The British Boxing Board of Control, need to sort out the horrendous judging, at the Taylor v Catterall fight last night.
It was the worst decision I've ever seen, and is a really bad advert for British Boxing as a whole.

Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
strapline
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

So I got an email today from HMRC. Please include on your payslips from April onwards a specific note about the 1.25% uplift in NI charges. Are they mad?