Well out of COSC spec

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Well out of COSC spec

Post by nowttolose »

My NN Dartmouth I picked up in the sale is well out of spec for COSC. Currently +16 seconds over a 24 hour period.

Real pain to send it back to CW and presume a of wait 8 weeks for it to be regulated.

My second watch in recent times with poor QC as I had to send a Trident GMT back for bezel alignment.

My other non-COSC CW watches are running much closer to COSC than my COSC watch!
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Well out of COSC spec

Post by audio.bill »

Dave - Have you tried to demagnetize it? Might be worth a shot, sometimes watches can get magnetized in shipping or while in use. There are videos showing how to do it and demagnetizers are available at a reasonable cost on Amazon or from watch accessory vendors. A watch servicer should also be able to do it for you, it's a very quick process. Good luck and hope you're able to get it resolved.
These users thanked the author audio.bill for the post:
tikkathree
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

audio.bill wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:12 pm Dave - Have you tried to demagnetize it? Might be worth a shot, sometimes watches can get magnetized in shipping or while in use. There are videos showing how to do it and demagnetizers are available at a reasonable cost on Amazon or from watch accessory vendors. A watch servicer should also be able to do it for you, it's a very quick process. Good luck and hope you're able to get it resolved.
^^^^What he said, good advice all around.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have found that if I pick up a watch that hasn't run for a while in some cases the initial readings seem to be off. After a few hours, or maybe longer, they seem to settle down to a more accurate level. Maybe the lubricants need a few hours to get going again.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
tikkathree
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Well, my 11 year old ceramic sub (worn infrequently in rotation) is still +/- 1 second per day and never been serviced.

The day I received the Dartmouth it was well out of spec. Don’t agree it got magnetised between CW towers and my house. Can’t see how it can have been magnetised when I wear it, and my submariner has never had that problem in 11 years.

Not sure I believe the COSC piece of paper it came with. Fine if it was just over tolerance, but +16 secs per day is woeful.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
David. S
Guru
Guru

Post by David. S »

nowttolose wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:04 pm

Not sure I believe the COSC piece of paper it came with. Fine if it was just over tolerance, but +16 secs per day is woeful.

Are you suggesting the movement isn't COSC-certified, or that the certificate isn't real ?
I agree it's unlikely to be magnetised if it hasn't gone through any airport scanners, but it is possible that it was dropped by the courier, a heavy jolt can knock a movement out of rhythm.

David
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

David. S wrote:

Are you suggesting the movement isn't COSC-certified, or that the certificate isn't real ?
I agree it's unlikely to be magnetised if it hasn't gone through any airport scanners, but it is possible that it was dropped by the courier, a heavy jolt can knock a movement out of rhythm.

David
My other watches have been through massive jolts via normal wear and it’s never caused a problem
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Have you contacted CW, and if so have you heard back yet?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
tikkathree
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Have you opened a dialogue with CW at all to see what they suggest?

As to the movement being COSC Certified, you have a certificate which records when, where and with what results the movement was tested.

This though is a one time test of the movement (a bit like an MOT test on your car), before it is installed in the watch.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

Echoing other comments, reach out to CS. They may have a quick and satisfactory solution.

I’ve always been super impressed with their CS

I know it’s frustrating when you get a duff product, but at least with CW there’s usually great CS to sort things out for you.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
David. S
Guru
Guru

Post by David. S »

nowttolose wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:17 pm
David. S wrote:

David
My other watches have been through massive jolts via normal wear and it’s never caused a problem

I dropped a watch running a sw330 movement, it was running at -8 secs per day before it was dropped and -40 a day afer, I took it to a local watchmaker who had it running properly again in no time.
As others have suggested, contact CW if its running out of specs, it's frustrating to be without your watch, but these things happen.

David.
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Have you contacted CW, and if so have you heard back yet?
That’s the next step. Will update the thread when I get guidance from CW.

Presumably I will get a prepaid envelope and I won’t see the watch for a few weeks, but let’s see.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
audio.bill
Guru
Guru

Post by audio.bill »

nowttolose wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:04 pm The day I received the Dartmouth it was well out of spec. Don’t agree it got magnetised between CW towers and my house.
Packages get scanned with all kinds of electronics and even sometimes x-rayed by customs inspectors, don't see how you can be certain it couldn't have gotten magnetized while in transit.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

It could have sat next to a magnet during shipping. At some point.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I hope you get the issue sorted, it's frustrating to have such a problem.
Although, I don't really keep much of an eye on the performance of my watches, your story has led me to wonder about the Magnetisation issue.
I reply with my phone in hand (2cm from my watch) which I hear can cause an issue and I often remove my watch and put it next to an Alexa speaker, which may be a bad idea, considering it most likely contains a magnet.

post803894.html#p803894

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39