Brilliant Lego sets

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Brilliant Lego sets

Post by rkovars »

I've been eyeballing that Defender for a while. That camper van is brilliant!
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:22 pm What a fantastic story! Shame on Lego for not supporting this.
+1 :thumbdown:
These users thanked the author Tortoise for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesRobotaz
Ian
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

iain wrote:I can’t believe I have forgotten to mention this, I suppose as it’s not actually Lego, I’ve accidentally overlooked it.

As one of my several extra curricular activities, I am a member of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM) and I currently sit on their board of trustees.

A few years ago, our president at the time launched the Little Linac campaign. A Linac, or Linear Accelerator, is the name of the medical equipment used to deliver radiotherapy treatment to cancer patients.

The aim of this project was to make Little Linac model kits which the Institute sold for £10 each. That amount would pay the cost of the sold kit and the profits would allow us to buy extra kits to donate to paediatric radiotherapy centres. The idea was that every child undergoing radiotherapy could be given a “Lego” kit to build a Little Linac so they could see the machine before they started their treatment. They could then keep it and once over their cancer, could use the kit to build something else.

Unbelievably, Lego refused to help out so we had to have these made by a “rival” manufacturer. Sadly the project is now finished but you can read more details here if you are interested.

https://www.ipem.ac.uk/About-IPEM/Campa ... ttle-Linac

And here’s a photo of the kit. I have one fully made in my office at work and it’s a regular talking point with any visitors I get.

5854C6ED-50CE-47F8-9ED1-6CCABC12BED0.jpeg
All I’m going to say is that I have a lot of negativity over this that I want to turn to positivity and focus my energy on the future instead of the Lego train wreck I have in my mind.

How can we donate to these children?
These users thanked the author Robotaz for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesmonkeymax
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Some fabulous stuff here.

I've got a Caterham Seven built a couple of years ago but nothing more elaborate. I think though I might well be getting this one;-

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 3):
StifjkbarnesDavemro
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Robotaz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:08 am All I’m going to say is that I have a lot of negativity over this that I want to turn to positivity and focus my energy on the future instead of the Lego train wreck I have in my mind.

Sorry about that, I didn’t intend to generate any negativity towards Lego. For some reason they declined to be involved and simply would not engage with IPEM. We don’t know why and I can’t comment on their behalf.

This project has now come to an end due to costs. We worked with a company called Best-Lock who are based in China. We had to order 3000 kits at a time, which cost us £10k up front. We then had to store and distribute them when sold, or requested by the radiotherapy centres.

We have sold approximately 3300 around the world and donated 2700 to the 16 UK paediatric radiotherapy centres.

Best-Lock owned the copyright to these for legal reasons and I understand that the moulds have been destroyed so no more will be made.

As for how to donate to Children, I’m not sure how radiotherapy is funded and delivered in the US but you may wish to choose a local paediatric cancer charity to donate to is you are feeling generous.

Anyway here’s a few photos of the box and instructions giving a few more details. Like Lego, these can be made into other medical equipment to help the kids who may need MRI or CT as part of their treatment.

6E8BA527-2EC5-406E-A15A-BD11A7CC3582.jpeg
92DD7143-2E2C-4723-A686-58F07A5AC17C.jpeg
7B5E39FF-572F-4994-B9E6-8E9A6F1A357E.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Stifjkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:27 pm Some fabulous stuff here.

I've got a Caterham Seven built a couple of years ago but nothing more elaborate. I think though I might well be getting this one;-

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
I might need to get that!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Drew
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

iain wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:46 pm
Robotaz wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:08 am All I’m going to say is that I have a lot of negativity over this that I want to turn to positivity and focus my energy on the future instead of the Lego train wreck I have in my mind.

Sorry about that, I didn’t intend to generate any negativity towards Lego. For some reason they declined to be involved and simply would not engage with IPEM. We don’t know why and I can’t comment on their behalf.

This project has now come to an end due to costs. We worked with a company called Best-Lock who are based in China. We had to order 3000 kits at a time, which cost us £10k up front. We then had to store and distribute them when sold, or requested by the radiotherapy centres.

We have sold approximately 3300 around the world and donated 2700 to the 16 UK paediatric radiotherapy centres.

Best-Lock owned the copyright to these for legal reasons and I understand that the moulds have been destroyed so no more will be made.

As for how to donate to Children, I’m not sure how radiotherapy is funded and delivered in the US but you may wish to choose a local paediatric cancer charity to donate to is you are feeling generous.

Anyway here’s a few photos of the box and instructions giving a few more details. Like Lego, these can be made into other medical equipment to help the kids who may need MRI or CT as part of their treatment.
Thanks for this extra info Iain. What a shame that Lego prevented you making more money for this deserving cause but how very commendable that your company went to such lengths to try and raise this money.
These users thanked the author Andyshall for the post:
iain
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:27 pm Some fabulous stuff here.

I am sure you will enjoy the build Guy but be warned, it can be quite addictive. I am not really that into cars and look what happened to me.
These users thanked the author Andyshall for the post (total 2):
StifBahnstormer_vRS
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

rkovars wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:13 pm I've been eyeballing that Defender for a while. That camper van is brilliant!
The Defender is currently 27% off on Amazon at £116 (UK unfortunately). Best price I have seen :thumbup: .
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

Christmas present from my wife. My first Lego!
20220214_104502~2.jpg
20220214_104443~2.jpg
These users thanked the author scampbell61 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Just finished my first build - well, at least my first build since I graduated from short trousers!

The Defender...

This is how it starts:

Some of the guts:

And, the finished article:

I enjoyed the process, and it certainly occupied some of the damp and cold afternoons... Just got to decide what to do next - and what to do with them, having built them!
These users thanked the author downer for the post (total 5):
golfjunkyjkbarnesAmor Vincit OmniaStifrkovars
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

downer wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:27 am
I enjoyed the process, and it certainly occupied some of the damp and cold afternoons... Just got to decide what to do next - and what to do with them, having built them!
In the case of that one, paint it bush camo and surround it with little lions, elephants, giraffes and so on.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
cincfleet
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by cincfleet »

Oh WOW, outstanding posts on this thread, my experience with LEGO was build a house, two story or bungalow and move the chimney round!! It's easy to see how their longevity has been sustained though, such a simple Toy/Idea that evolves with modern day/real life/science etc etc. What a great informative/Interesting post on a watch forum :clap: :thumbup:
Rgds
Steve :wave:
These users thanked the author cincfleet for the post:
Stif
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I loved legos as a kid. I’m hoping to get back into it once my kids get old enough not to try to eat them :lol:

For a while I lived close to Disney world Florida. I frequented Disney Springs which had a large Lego store. They had some pretty cool and special sets. Here’s a picture I took of of fairly large Death Star. My wife wouldn’t let me spend $500 on a Lego set though :(

B9F2D77D-42C7-46CD-B141-AC4FAAA4094C.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:29 pm In the case of that one, paint it bush camo and surround it with little lions, elephants, giraffes and so on.
Hey Steve, I found a Lego set that might be right up your alley. I’d consider this myself if I had some place to display it.

C16E5163-5801-4C54-BB63-A457463CB40B.jpeg
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaStif
Drew