A place to discuss other watch-brands
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Buying used

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Good morning everyone

How much discount would you expect on a used watch for a noticeable scratch on the glass? I'm looking at watches around £300 used but there also one listed with a scratch at the same price but the seller is accepting offers, what do you thinks reasonable to offer

I believe the glass is sapphire if that would influence the decision

Thanks all

Neil
Neil
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Buying used

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sapphire crystals are pretty durable, so if that one has a noticeable scratch it may well have taken a hit in some other less obvious place.
How much would you actually be willing to pay? Offer a bit less than that to allow yourself some wiggle room.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Cheers Steve

The sellers said the time keeping is good but I'll ask if they know how the scratch was caused

I've had a shop around and I can buy new for £300 with discounts, the used watch is listed as £279 or best offer. As it's used and scratched I think the price is too high
These users thanked the author neil8fletcher3 for the post:
tikkathree
Neil
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Steve’s point is a good one. Price-wise it does seem high if you have to / want to factor in the inconvenience and cost of getting the crystal replaced.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Steve’s other point is also good. If the sapphire has a decent mark, it may indicate a decent hit, which could have impacted the movement in a way that might not manifest itself immediately. Not as much of an issue with quartz versus mechanical though. That should also be taken into account.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Robotaz »

You need to really want this watch because it could be a hassle.
MikeyT100
Senior
Senior

Post by MikeyT100 »

At the prices you're quoting there, new would definitely make the most sense. Unless you're a circular economy kind of person and would prefer not to add the planet's creation of stuff!
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks for the feedback everyone

The sellers said the crystal was scratch by a diamond on a ring and the watch is 18 months old so hopefully that wouldn't of damaged the movement

I'm going to think about it but I don't think it's worth the listing price, I'll keep looking round for a field watch
Neil
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

What would it cost to replace the sapphire crystal of this watch? That may offer leverage in discounting the price. It would be less hassle to find something else unless you really want this particular watch.
I’ve spent more on some watches than they are “worth” to get them fixed up but I would not expect to recoup the costs were I selling them.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Some assumptions here, but if the seller let it go for say £250, you'd be up over £300 after getting the OEM crystal replaced I would imagine.
So it may cost more that way and then there's the hassle on top.

OEM sapphire replacements can get silly, so could be worth pricing one up beforehand. The box sapphire on my LLD crystal was £650 for a replacement job by Longines.
Ryan
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

MikeyT100 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:40 pm At the prices you're quoting there, new would definitely make the most sense. Unless you're a circular economy kind of person and would prefer not to add the planet's creation of stuff!
No I'm not bothered about that just that used is normally cheaper and less risk if it gets flipped!
Neil
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

This is the scratch
s-l1600.jpg
Ideally I wouldn't plan on replacing it if I could live with it, I think I'm going to keep looking for a used one but not this one at that price as others without a scratch are price similarly
Neil
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Neil, consider making an offer and if it wasn't accepted you can move on at that point. IF you can live with it, perhaps make an offer that reflects 75% of the replacement cost of the Sapphire crystal. Little out of pocket for you if you change your mind.

Looks like a mark across the case and lug above the 1 as well...

Negotiate hard, you have little to lose with others new at £300 (and his at £21 less than new is very ambitious IMO).

For my $0.02....I would want the crystal replacement covered for my offer.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I would negotiate a discount - 20%-ish would be about right in my view, but you should decide what is appropriate to you - but I wouldn’t bother changing the crystal. It looks intact (i.e. not cracked) and the first scratch is always the hardest, so you wouldn’t need to worry about that. Wear and enjoy, no need to baby it now.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
Viognier
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Just seen this now, so coming to it a little late.

If I could get a new one for £300, then I wouldn't want to pay any more than £240 (80%) for a used one - and that would have to be in tip-top, practically mint, condition with most of the warranty left. With the scratched crystal and the scratched bezel and lug, personally I couldn't live with those as I like watches to be in good nick. So I would have to factor in the cost of getting a new crystal and the cost of my time for all the hassle in sorting that out. Also, the scratch to the bezel and lug can't be polished or brushed out as it's a bead-blasted case. So, for me personally, I would not pay more than £150. And my initial offer would be even lower (if I thought it would be entertained in any way by the seller). But that's me. If you can tolerate the scratches more than I could then you may be happy to pay more and that's fair enough.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post (total 5):
Bahnstormer_vRSLeon OViogniertikkathreeStrapMeister
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr