Watch of the Year 2021 - C63 Sealander Automatic

News related to Christopher Ward Watches
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Re: Watch of the Year 2021 - C63 Sealander Automatic

Post by thomcat00 »

In the end I think the C63 Sealander is a deserving model for the watch of the year recognition. The Concept is a Moonshot kind of watch: aspirational, highly finished, expensive, and exclusive. The Sealander is attainable. Both are amazing for what they deliver. I voted for the Concept but I feel the Sealander is the right one.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
mxrkmurray
CW-watches: 1

Post by mxrkmurray »

Love mine, fun fact - it fits the cheap eBay seamaster aqua terra straps, the 41mm has 20mm lugs and you can wrangle those curved end straps into it!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

mxrkmurray wrote:Love mine, fun fact - it fits the cheap eBay seamaster aqua terra straps, the 41mm has 20mm lugs and you can wrangle those curved end straps into it!
Welcome.

It will be good to see some photos.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Kalli64
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 51

Post by Kalli64 »

In my opinion, the C63 looks a lot better, although Sinn certainly makes quality watches. The price/performance ratio alone is clearly on the side of the C63.
Thomas

My CW collection:
C1 - 7x / C5 - 1x / C63 - 3x / C60 - 21x / C65 - 8x / C7 - 5x / C8 - 2x / C9 - 2x / C90 - 2x
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

mvlow wrote:I really like Sinn Watches, so I have inevitably compared the C63 Auto to the Sinn 556I. The specs are similar, and the size and overall look are similar. The Sinn sells for $1,530 on Watchbuys, whereas the CW sells for on $815. While I would be tempted by the Sinn, I would probably purchase the C63 Auto based on value for money for similar quality and looks. I love my Sinn 104, but would have a hard time justifying almost twice the price for the 556. This to me is a perfect example of what makes the C63 such a standout watch in its category and is a great choice for watch of the year.

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.25.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.26.22 AM.png
My next watch (in a few months time) will be either the Sinn 104 White dial or the C63 GMT White dial.
I know we are all biased on this forum and they are very different but what would peoples preference be?
I have had the Black 104 before but sold it to finance another purchase.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Wolfman53 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:01 pm
mvlow wrote:I really like Sinn Watches, so I have inevitably compared the C63 Auto to the Sinn 556I. The specs are similar, and the size and overall look are similar. The Sinn sells for $1,530 on Watchbuys, whereas the CW sells for on $815. While I would be tempted by the Sinn, I would probably purchase the C63 Auto based on value for money for similar quality and looks. I love my Sinn 104, but would have a hard time justifying almost twice the price for the 556. This to me is a perfect example of what makes the C63 such a standout watch in its category and is a great choice for watch of the year.

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.25.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.26.22 AM.png
My next watch (in a few months time) will be either the Sinn 104 White dial or the C63 GMT White dial.
I know we are all biased on this forum and they are very different but what would peoples preference be?

Funnily enough these are three watches that often go round in my mind as a next watch purchase, if that day arrives. The Sinns - 556i/104 and the CW C63 Auto. First off, you've been an owner of the 104 previously so you should know what they're all about. My thought process has led me to the fact CW is certainly better bang for your buck, at least 50% cheaper. I think both brands have their strengths where the build quality is concerned. But...like so many brands, where Sinn is concerned, you're paying a premium for the branding and its sixty years of heritage. When price is the driving metric it's hard to not pick the CW, it's a fine looking watch, too. All that said, I love Sinn and hope to add one to my box at some stage.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Wolfman53
Senior
Senior

Post by Wolfman53 »

strapline wrote:
Wolfman53 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:01 pm

Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.25.12 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-02 at 9.26.22 AM.png

Funnily enough these are three watches that often go round in my mind as a next watch purchase, if that day arrives. The Sinns - 556i/104 and the CW C63 Auto. First off, you've been an owner of the 104 previously so you should know what they're all about. My thought process has led me to the fact CW is certainly better bang for your buck, at least 50% cheaper. I think both brands have their strengths where the build quality is concerned. But...like so many brands, where Sinn is concerned, you're paying a premium for the branding and its sixty years of heritage. When price is the driving metric it's hard to not pick the CW, it's a fine looking watch, too. All that said, I love Sinn and hope to add one to my box at some stage.

Des
Thank you. Appreciated. The overall feeling of the 104 to me is of precision German engineering.
I really like the White C63 GMT so I am leaning that way at present.
Just waiting to get some funds together and for a voucher!

Kaixo

Post by Kaixo »

Totally agree it’s a great watch. I got one just before Christmas! I’m liking it more each day. It really is such good value. One of the first CW watches that I thought was especially good looking as well !
aa_bcfc.
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by aa_bcfc. »

mvlow wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:35 pm I really like Sinn Watches, so I have inevitably compared the C63 Auto to the Sinn 556I. The specs are similar, and the size and overall look are similar. The Sinn sells for $1,530 on Watchbuys, whereas the CW sells for on $815. While I would be tempted by the Sinn, I would probably purchase the C63 Auto based on value for money for similar quality and looks. I love my Sinn 104, but would have a hard time justifying almost twice the price for the 556. This to me is a perfect example of what makes the C63 such a standout watch in its category and is a great choice for watch of the year.

As someone who has a SINN556 and a CW Sealander auto I can appreciate the similarities between the two watches and find the price difference too much. My 556 doesn’t have a bracelet but there is no doubt about it the CW clasp far exceeds that on the Sinn.
If I were choosing to buy either of the two watches now it would be a difficult decision. Buying with my head it would be the CW but buying with my heart it would be the Sinn. (Trouble is I normally buy watches with my heart).
Y Cymro

Post by Y Cymro »

Great to see this 36mm version being featured as the reason I joined was to find out more about it. Would love to try one on, so will look out for CW at events
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Y Cymro wrote:Great to see this 36mm version being featured as the reason I joined was to find out more about it. Would love to try one on, so will look out for CW at events
Look up the WatchIt! Watch Fair on 18th February.

CW will be in attendance.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Y Cymro

Post by Y Cymro »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:54 am Look up the WatchIt! Watch Fair on 18th February.
CW will be in attendance.
Guy
Thanks for the heads up Guy :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Y Cymro for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS