RIP C65 Trident Automatic

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

RIP C65 Trident Automatic

Post by scampbell61 »

Just realized that this month will end production of the C65 Trident Automatic. I know we all have our favorite CW and the C65 Trident Automatic is what comes to my mind when I think of Christopher Ward.

I know that change is inevitable but it still feels like I am losing an old friend.
20211018_112155.jpg
These users thanked the author scampbell61 for the post (total 9):
Jcalder68David. SJasperCatStifThunder1thomcat00DEV.WoulfChase16MiniMpi
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: RIP C65 Trident Automatic

Post by Jcalder68 »

True, it was/is a lovely watch. The black was my favourite of the two, and I certainly preferred this auto version over the manual.
Still keeping an eye on eBay for a prime example.
Keep well,
C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

scampbell61 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:42 pm I know that change is inevitable but it still feels like I am losing an old friend.
Don't worry, they won't ask for yours back. :)

The whole C65 range has been pretty successful, underpinned in my view by the case design. This is very sleek in profile and comfortable in the wrist, and has allowed a wide variety of watch designs based on it - for example, the handwound C65 Trident, the auto C65 Trident, the C65 Ombre, the C65 Chrono, C65 SH21 LE, the C65 Dartmouth and the C65 Super Compressor (slight case tweak for this one).

It will be fascinating to see the new C65 case this year and whether this is regarded as an improvement or something that has lost the appeal of the original. CW need to get it right. If it is a clear improvement, that may ease your pain regarding your existing C65s. :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by David. S »

scampbell61 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:42 pm Just realized that this month will end production of the C65 Trident Automatic. I know we all have our favorite CW and the C65 Trident Automatic is what comes to my mind when I think of Christopher Ward.

I know that change is inevitable but it still feels like I am losing an old friend.

20211018_112155.jpg
Don't think of it as losing an old friend, it's just your old friend having a facelift...they are still the same underneath.

David.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

If you already have one then the retiring of a particular watch shouldn’t bother you too much.

I used to get a bit cross about it, too. Then I realised that with any particular watch there was one of three scenarios:
  • I bought it.
  • I had the opportunity to buy it and didn’t.
  • I didn’t like it in the first place.
Once I started looking at it that way, it didn’t seem to matter so much on a personal level. However, I have said before and will reiterate that I would really like to see some designs that have true longevity.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
Thunder1thomcat00
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

For me the C65 range are 'peak' CWL. I realize that this is not the case for all CWL aficionados and watches are highly predicated on personal taste which is as it should be. Having said that I'll be a little sad to see the line-up change but CWL is not an organization to sit still.

scampbell61 your photo of the blue C65 broke my resolve and I ordered one just now on the black leather strap. This is my 5th C65....

Scratch that; my 6th, I forgot about the Super Compressor.
These users thanked the author Lawrence for the post:
Stif
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Well, I echo the views of many of the above posters..they've(the C65s) been my favorite CW wrist wear offering for awhile now..in fact, I took advantage of the recent sale to pick up the black dial, SS bezel, C65 GMT..hopefully, the new version w/b worth chcking out..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

My favourite CW case as well. I currently have 3 and another due soon :)
These users thanked the author Molan for the post:
Thunder1
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I have stated a number just how good I think the c65 range is. Really excellent throughout and wears so well due to the case design.
I am really surprised and a bit disappointed they have binned it already. Aside from moving the logo to the new top Center position I am not sure how it could be improved.

I do wish they would allow just a bit of longevity to some of their range
These users thanked the author stefs for the post:
Thunder1
Cheers now, Paul
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

I think the C65 is an excellent design and i have a couple. Great size, great fit for me. That said, it's been 5 years, apparently, and I look forward to seeing what they do with the design. No doubt given it's success any change will be a subtle evolution rather than anything radical
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
Thunder1
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

Possibly some models featuring the SH21 movement?... :-k
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’ve only been following CW for a short while but in the last year I’ve really taken to the brand. The C65 is a large part of that draw for me. While the design has been a good one, I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next for the range.

Favorite C65: Sandstorm, Anthropocene, Black/Gold LE
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I have one C65... a Vintage MK II. I came very close to purchasing the Automatic version in either color but was drawn to the smaller Vintage for whatever reason. I think the vintage line will come back around 40mm and with improvements so I look forward to checking them out soon.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Thunder1 »

thomcat00 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:45 am I’ve only been following CW for a short while but in the last year I’ve really taken to the brand. The C65 is a large part of that draw for me. While the design has been a good one, I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next for the range.

Favorite C65: Sandstorm, Anthropocene, Black/Gold LE
Hmmm, your 'favs' are the ones that I'd like to consider adding to my collection... :problem: