Great Quartz Watch Video for Collectors

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Great Quartz Watch Video for Collectors

Post by mvlow »

Teddy Baldassarre has produced an interesting video this New Years Day explaining the history and function of quartz watches and also a few good arguments for why WIS should have at least one in their collection. I currently have two quartz watches in my collection, a G-shock, and an Elliot Brown Holton. They are both great additions to my collection for very specific purposes. I love mechanical watches, but will always consider a quartz if it grabs me for a specific reason.

https://youtu.be/Kxr5o_HbA2o

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 8.54.40 AM.png
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post (total 3):
Jcalder68straplineLeon O
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Great Quartz Watch Video for Collectors

Post by jkbarnes »

That was a really good video, thanks for sharing. I especially enjoyed the basic comparison of the two types of movements.

I love my quartz watch, a C65 AMGT LE. The accuracy blows me away and brings a smile to my face every time I take note of it not losing a single second over whatever period of time.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
mvlowJasperCat
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

I have no probs with quartz watches either, it was quartz that brought me to mechanical watches after all. As much as I enjoy the sweep of a mechanical second hand; I also enjoy the definite tick of a quartz. Maintenance free, cheap to run and unbelievably accurate. I also find the consistency of the 32,768 oscillations amazing in its own right. There is so much snobbery around watch wearing and collection. It's the least attractive aspect of the whole thing for me. I try my best to let it go over my head.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesmvlowStif
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Enjoyable video thank you for the link.

And if you want a battery driven watch with a smooth second hand track, why not consider a real tuning fork/hummer?
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
mvlow
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Nothing wrong with a quartz watch, be it analogue or digital.
I have several - F91-w, G-Shock Solar/Radio Band and C60 300 amongst others.
I really appreciate their accuracy over all else, and their natural resistance to magnetism, impact and vibrations do make them a regular choice for me when in the workshops and when using the bigger machinery at work.
For a lovely combination of a smooth seconds hand sweep and quartz accuracy I also have a Bulova 262KHz. I last reset the time on that one in October when the clocks changed, and it is less than 1sec off since then!
I know CW have a resistance to including quartz movements to any future models, but is do think it would be lovely to see a Sealander with a quartz option (if a COSC option was not available).
Keep well,
C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post:
mvlow
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have about 8 inexpensive quartz watches. I set all of them on 1st November, and just checked the timing. They varied from +/2 secs to -18 secs error for the whole 2 months. . The worst one at -18 represents about 1/3 sec per day, which is pretty good isn't it. I ought to wear them a bit more than I do.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
mvlow
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Interesting video, informative and even-handed imo. I own a number of quartz watches, mainly based on their appeal to me in terms of construction, function, and looks. There are several Marathon Navigators, which have the tritium lume and field watch look. There are several CW chronographs, 2 BBMF models, and 2 of the dress models all of which go to looks and function, and then 2 motorsport models, both of which are COSC, and look very good indeed. There are also a Bulova Moonwatch, very accurate indeed, and a look much like the Omega Speedmaster, and a Citizen Blue Angels Skyhawk AT, which is radio controlled, and looks great to boot.
Almost forgot, 2 G-Shocks(GW-M5610 variants), and a Casio Wave Ceptor, 20 plus years old, but still used to set my other watches.
In all the time I've had them, battery changes were the only occasions where I've noticed enough differences in accuracy to warrant adjustments.

I still keep getting the mechanical watches, too...
These users thanked the author trsullivan for the post:
mvlow
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Jkpa
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jkpa »

This one is way way up there and I hope to get it soon

These users thanked the author Jkpa for the post:
mvlow
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

mvlow wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:56 pm Teddy Baldassarre has produced an interesting video this New Years Day explaining the history and function of quartz watches and also a few good arguments for why WIS should have at least one in their collection. I currently have two quartz watches in my collection, a G-shock, and an Elliot Brown Holton. They are both great additions to my collection for very specific purposes. I love mechanical watches, but will always consider a quartz if it grabs me for a specific reason.
Great video. 6 of my 8 CW watches are quartz. I find the accuracy, durability, low cost of maintenance, and always ready to go nature to be appealing.
These users thanked the author Leon O for the post:
mvlow
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi