CW 2021 Forum Watch of the Year

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Which model is the most significant introduction of 2021 for Christopher Ward?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:32 am

C1 Wordglow
1%
C63 Sealander Automatic
36%
63 Sealander GMT
20%
C63 Sealander Elite
3%
C60 #tide
3%
C60 Anthropocene GMT
2%
C60 Concept (LE 210)
33%
C63 Colchester
1%

Total votes: 91

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

CW 2021 Forum Watch of the Year

Post by Kip »

As 2021 nears the end, it is that time of year for the CW Forum inmates to again decide what we think is the best new watch model introduction for 2021 by Christopher Ward (CW).

This year CW has released of 12 models and 90 variants. This does not include bespoke models. Our voting list has been narrowed down to 8 core models for voting.

Limited Editions such as the C60 Mk 3 Bronze, C65 AM VEV 1 and 2, and C65 Divetimer are variants based on core models or limited editions, therefore, have not been included. This is the same way we have determined the voting list in prior years. We have included the C60 #tide as it was released as an open series even though the premise for it was the C65 Marine Blue LE released in 2020. Also included is the Limited Edition C60 Concept due to its developmental and uniqueness aspects.

If you feel I have erred by not including a model, let me know and it can be added, although it would be by a separate tally.

What is included are totally new introductions that are a result of new movements, design, case size and/or innovations.

New releases started in January with the C1 Worldglow. Building off the popular C1 Moonglow and C1 Worldtimer, CW created this model with a spectacular lume display. March saw the C60 Mk 3 Bronze LE released and the Limited Editions C65 AM VEV 1 and 2 that are reputed to be the final quartz models from CW.

The end of April was incredible with the launch of a new sport series. The C63 Sealanders were announced as a base automatic, a GMT and the titanium cased ultra-light Elite with a pop out crown and COSC movement. This release coincided with the giveaway of one thousand SH21 puzzles that CW had developed during the initial Covid 19 restrictions of 2020.

Stated as the last CW model to use the SW210-1 manual wind movement, the C65 Divetimer Special Edition was launched on July 1 as a 150 piece LE. It sold out in 22 hours.

August saw 2 new releases. Based on the idea of the 2020 C65 Marine Blue LE, CW gave us the C60 #tide along with the C60 Anthropocene GMT that was based on the design of the C65 Anthropocene LE released in 2019.

November gave us the final releases of the year and they were worth waiting for. Coordinated with the release of Loupe 23 in November, CW launched the C60 Concept (LE 210 pieces). The first totally skeletonized watch by CW featured a totally hand finished SH21 movement in a titanium case with extraordinary lume. Launched at the same time was the C63 Colchester. This was the first use of injected carbon in a case by CW.

While this year’s releases, consisting of 12 models, was even less that in 2020, I think we can accept that it was a good year overall. Despite 2 years of Covid, CW gave us quite a variety to choose from while still making an impact.

In previous Watch of the Year voting, the forum has looked beyond what may be a personal favorite and voted based on the evidence. I would hope for this to continue this year.

What we are looking for is the one watch that, we as forum members, feel will have the most significant impact on CWL, not only now, but in the future.

Photos and specs of most models may be seen in the CWArchive. Other real world photos may be found in the Reference Gallery and Gallery. You can also scroll through our News Forum to view previous CW Watch of the Year Winners.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaMiniMpi
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: CW 2021 Forum Watch of the Year

Post by ajax87 »

Tough choice for me between the C63 elite and the C60 concept. The C63 range was an important, successful, and meaningful release from CW. It introduced a whole new category of watches. Kind of a big deal. And the elite model was something entirely new for CW with the dial cutouts and retractable crown.

The Concept was another beast, an exercise in how far they could push the limits. It seems to have made a big impact in the watch world so far as well.

Both worthy choices IMO.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:55 pm …The C63 range was an important, successful, and meaningful release from CW. It introduced a whole new category of watches. Kind of a big deal.

The Concept was another beast, an exercise in how far they could push the limits.
Both excellent points. I went back and forth between the Sealander range and the C60 Concept. Both are worthy contenders but for very different reasons.

Ultimately, I went with the C63 Sealander GMT as a representative of this important new line. As an LE, I don’t know that the C60 Concept, as bold and innovative as it is, truly meets the parameters of the survey.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaThunder1
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:12 pm Ultimately, I went with the C63 Sealander GMT as a representative of this important new line. As an LE, I don’t know that the C60 Concept, as bold and innovative as it is, truly meets the parameters of the survey.
I second your reasoning. Going by the criteria that were laid down from the start I couldn’t vote for the Concept. It’s an excellent horological achievement and a brilliant new departure (notwithstanding the fact that I don’t actually like it!) How much will it impact what CW does in the future? Well, that remains to be seen. A few years ago we voted for the C900 Single Pusher chronograph. Again, an outstandingly innovative watch, but also a limited edition and once it was gone we never saw the like of it again. Nor any type of mechanical chronograph. Both that and the Concept, great watches, superb achievements, don’t get me wrong. But ultimately these are the show ponies, the exercises in Can-Do.

I think the Sealander collection is important because it was introduced to fill a gap, fulfil a need if you will. They didn’t have a simple, medium-sized three-hand sports watch in the collection. An original CW mantra went something like: “The World’s Cheapest Most Expensive Watch.” A bit daft perhaps, but it’s actually quite a good way to describe a very good watch offered at an outstanding price. Which is why I am voting for the C63 Sealander Automatic. Basically, it does what it says on the tin.

And yes, I was attempted to go along with you, Andrew because the GMT version is obviously my favourite. I think it’s my favourite CW ever. But, I recognise the importance of having a really solid entry-level model, like they used to have with the C5 Malvern. I think the C63 Automatic could be a worthy successor.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesThunder1
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I have voted for the c63 automatic.

Despite the obvious charms of the C60 Concept, that seems at the moment to be more of a demonstration of CW 's abilities. It may be that CW sees a positive future in more expensive watches, in which case the quickly sold out C60 may prove to be the more important with the benefit of hindsight.

As it stands, it seems to me that the C63 range will be an important base for a good while to come, and that whole range is based on the entry level 3 hander, so that was my selection.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

I've got this watch on my wrist, I've tried to put others on in the past few days, incoming as well as old friends. If I hadn't learned from past mistakes I'd be flipping stuff all over the place but twice bitten thrice shy.
TBH I am astounded by the way the Concept has taken over in my life.
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
nbg
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Aligned, Sealander meets the criteria and will have the most lasting impact on the CW lineup. As the C60 concept is an LE , which I struggle to be named watch of the year as not everyone has the opportunity to own one. My $0.02
These users thanked the author Viognier for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:31 pm Which is why I am voting for the C63 Sealander Automatic. Basically, it does what it says on the tin.

And yes, I was attempted to go along with you, Andrew because the GMT version is obviously my favourite. I think it’s my favourite CW ever. But, I recognise the importance of having a really solid entry-level model, like they used to have with the C5 Malvern. I think the C63 Automatic could be a worthy successor.
You make a strong case for the Automatic over the GMT that’s hard to argue with. I went with the GMT because I’m impressed by it being an improved GMT movement at a lower price point. That, and I think it’s a better looking watch than the Automatic.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaKansas City Milkman
Drew
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

"What we are looking for is the one watch that, we as forum members, feel will have the most significant impact on CWL, not only now, but in the future."

Based on this summary statement by Kip, I had to go with the C63 Automatic. As CW's simple entry level 3 hander It is the watch that will bring new customers to the brand, and some of those customers will become loyal CW followers in the future. When you compare the cost/quality combination of the C63 Auto with other comparable watches in the marketplace it is a standout. You can pay a lot more and not get a better watch of this type.

Every watch company needs to have a watch that draws new people to its products, and it can be argued the C60 diver is that watch for CW, but the C63 Auto is now a contender due to its simple design and low price point.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaBahnstormer_vRS
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'm with Pete @Tikkathree over the C60 Concept.

I own one too and its a stunning watch, the likes of which might not be seen again and a Horological Piece de Resistance. However, as its name suggests its a Concept of what can be done and much as I'd like to vote for it . . . .
. . . .. In the long run, I feel the C63 Sealander range is the more important addition to the CW stable.

The GMT is good, very Explorer like, and maybe I'll get one sometime as I like the extra pop of colour from the GMT hand BUT the standard Automatic is the more important; the 'Sprat to catch a Mackerel'. It gets my vote.

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniamvlow
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

The C63 range is indeed a great addition to the CW range BUT...
Which watch has the most significant introduction of 2021 = the C60 Concept hands-down.
suicidal_orange
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by suicidal_orange »

I've gone for the #tide. While as a watch it's nowhere near as impressive as the Concept and it's not cheap enough to get the brand noticed by non enthusiasts just looking for a nice watch like the C63 I feel that having a non LE environmentally focussed model in the line up is a statement of where the company wants to go and it does target a growing market.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I’ll provide some counterpoints:

I think the Concept’s impact will be longer lasting than the C63’s.

The C63 range and the auto specifically has brought new people to the brand because sports watches are “in” right now, and it is a spectacular watch for the money. But making an excellent VFM watch is nothing new to CW.

The C60 Concept has drawn a lot of attention to CW in a similar way, but the difference is that I think it has people taking CW more seriously as an upmarket competitor. Yes the Concept is still a great VFM per the specs, but more than that it’s a show of force in the design and execution department in terms of haute horology.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesAmor Vincit OmnianbgStrapMeister
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

ajax87 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:38 pm I’ll provide some counterpoints:
Good points indeed, Alex. But I would issue a slight note of caution by saying that any “concept” (excuse the pun) is only valid insofar as it is taken forward and developed. My point earlier is that this didn’t happen with the C900.

I accept that it’s a great achievement and points clearly to what might be achieved in the haute horlogerie stratosphere. But I think that the company has also always been about a sort of Everyman appeal. It’s also good to see them taking a step off the diver roundabout and doing something a little different.

It looks as though we have a two horse race, and let’s face it, whichever of these admirable watches wins the vote, I don’t think there will be too much grumbling.

Oh, and how nice to have such a pleasant and civilised discussion! 8)
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
ajax87
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Am I the only one who sees the Sealander and Sealander GMT as pretty much the same watch with an added complication? This is probably spitting the Sealander vote as people will vote for their favourite version. Whereas the concept is out there on its own.

I don’t see this as a vote for the best everyday model but a vote for the watch of the year. For me that should be the one that has developed CW watches and pushed them forwards. The Sealander is a great watch, but is just a great watch. The concept is something else, and while not to my personal taste, is the watch I feel has pushed the brand forwards and gets my vote.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
StrapMeisterJasperCatDeks
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.