C63 Colchester

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: C63 Colchester

Post by Illiera »

A sample of one, and have never been in any of the armed forces, but it doesn’t make a jot of difference to me. I assume CW are paying for the use of the badge so it serves some good to the MoD. I think anyone who has served will feel differently about this matter though
These users thanked the author Illiera for the post:
JasperCat
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

Guy, I reckon CW got it wrong with both of them. I looked hard at the Lympstone and Colchester because I loved their designs, plus I'm taken with CW's use of carbon fibre in the latter. However, I couldn't bring myself to buy a watch so directly associated with a specific regiment or unit (who wants to feel like a Walt?).

I'm a CW fan and, therefore, hope they sell these watches in large numbers. But judging by numerous comments on several forums, CW lost significant sales because of the unnecessary military badging.

CW's innovation is fantastic, and I hope it continues to pursue a broad range of case materials (titanium, ceramic, carbon fibre and more). Plus, I hope to see carbon fibre models without a military badge.
These users thanked the author Dilbert for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:08 pm ^^^^ Surely there is little difference between the C63 Colchester being associated with The Parachute Regiment and the C60 Lympstone being associated with The Royal Marines.

They are both 'Walter Mitty' pieces (your description, but not one I will subscribe to) associated with a particular unit/regiment.

Or do you reckon that CW have got it wrong with the Lympstone too?

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
I have given a great deal of thought to the ongoing discussion of whether the C63 Colchester & C60 Lympstone constitute "Walter Mitty" pieces & whether it is right for someone that hasn't served to wear watches badged like that. Guy certainly has it pegged right that if you consider the C63 Colchester a "Walter Mitty" piece, then the same would have to go for the C60 Lympstone. Although the other CW military range watches may not be dedicated to a specific military unit or regiment, they would all seem to fall within the same line of reasoning. The C65 Dartmouth has the Royal Navy insignia on its back, the C65 Sandhurst has the British Army emblem & the C65 Cranwell bears the Royal Air Force insignia. What I have noticed is that none of these models have any reference to a particular unit or military branch on the front of the watch, which is what everyone else besides the wearer observes. That is an important point to note. My impression is the whole Walter Mitty thing derives from an individual trying to pass themselves off as something that they are not. With the offending insignia being placed on the back, I don't see how that would be possible even if the wearer had that in mind. I don't think that there is one person on this forum that buys a watch with that intent. These carefully crafted military themed watches were designed to honor the British military branches using design features to reflect the attributes & qualities that particular military branch represents & uses. For example, in honoring a paratroop wing, the lightweight carbon fiber design of the C63 Colchester without an exposed crown to snag on anything is an inspired choice. Obviously, I have not served being an American, but I have admired the British military service branches from afar. I look at watches like the C63 Colchester as I believe Christopher Ward intended, a fitting tribute & nothing more. I would have a problem with wearing a cap emblazoned with the 82nd Airborne because that would be implying that I had been a member for all to see. I own a CW C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer. Is this watch to be considered a "Walter Mitty" piece? Originally, the line of CW watches produced in partnership with the Morgan car company were offered exclusively to Morgan car owners before the offer was expanded to the rest of us. My C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler even bears the Morgan Wings on its face at the 12 o'clock position along with the CW branding at 9 o'clock. That would seem to be going a step beyond what CW has done with the C63 Colchester. I admire the original & unique styling of the Morgan cars even though I consider it highly unlikely that I will ever own one. I have never thought of my watch being a "Walter Mitty" piece nor have I ever been asked about the Morgan branding. I have received compliments on its vintage look, which that vintage heritage & the SH21 movement were the biggest reasons of why I purchased the watch. While I respect the personal opinions of the forum members that feel differently, I would have no problem buying the C63 Colchester, C65 Sandhurst or C60 Lympstone if the right buying opportunity presented itself. Why? Because I admire what those British military branches represent in human terms & the innovative design features of the watches giving tribute to their ideals.

Delmar
These users thanked the author WileyECoyote for the post (total 5):
NoushtikkathreeDickchinsJasperCatdsb18
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jimbo »

I'm a former "Bootneck" and proud of it.

i'm not fussed about the Lympstone, but have no problem with any non "Royal" buying one. If it tickles your boat then dig out and enjoy.

I couldn't buy a "Colchester" para watch because I wouldn't want to feel like a "Pongo". But that is me.

I am glad they made it light in weight as Para's of course are not as strong as us "Royals" :) and maybe they will be able to hack it.

Having been bought up in Aldershot where I used to have to walk past the para barracks before they moved out I still associate the Para's with Aldershot, but then they couldn't hack it there and had to move somewhere where the local women were not as tough.

Maybe CW could make the case backs interchangeable so even the RAF could feel proud about something?

The only issue I have with the Loupe essay is that the Para's are not the elite of the British forces....... All Para's need heroes and that's why there are Royal Marines :)

Par Mare Par Terram

God Save The Queen
These users thanked the author jimbo for the post (total 7):
jkbarnesGar787Bahnstormer_vRSNoushtikkathreemvlowJasperCat
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

jimbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:26 pm …I am glad they made it light in weight as Para's of course are not as strong as us "Royals" :) and maybe they will be able to hack it.

…The only issue I have with the Loupe essay is that the Para's are not the elite of the British forces....... All Para's need heroes and that's why there are Royal Marines :)
I love interservice rivalries and the ribbing that goes with it! :lol:
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSJasperCat
Drew
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Some excellent contributions to the discussion here.
I guess my personal feelings about authenticity make me a bit paranoid about the Walter Mitty Syndrome. That said, Delmar's observations that really nobody else knows what's on the back of the watch do make that somewhat moot. You're not pretending if you're not pretending...

If we really want to simply concentrate on the watch itself, I think it's a fine thing. As I noted previously, put an SH21 inside and display it properly within the same case size and I doubt I could help myself :). A chronometer-grade SW200 is a Good Thing: I have such in my Formex. But an SH21 is quite another level. What a watch that would be - if the good folk at CW are looking on.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

jimbo wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:26 pm I'm a former "Bootneck" and proud of it.

i'm not fussed about the Lympstone, but have no problem with any non "Royal" buying one. If it tickles your boat then dig out and enjoy.

I couldn't buy a "Colchester" para watch because I wouldn't want to feel like a "Pongo". But that is me.

I am glad they made it light in weight as Para's of course are not as strong as us "Royals" :) and maybe they will be able to hack it.

Having been bought up in Aldershot where I used to have to walk past the para barracks before they moved out I still associate the Para's with Aldershot, but then they couldn't hack it there and had to move somewhere where the local women were not as tough.

Maybe CW could make the case backs interchangeable so even the RAF could feel proud about something?

The only issue I have with the Loupe essay is that the Para's are not the elite of the British forces....... All Para's need heroes and that's why there are Royal Marines :)

Par Mare Par Terram

God Save The Queen
Perfectly said Jimbo. However, I think spellcheck may have got you. Better change the Par to Per before a former DI sees it :lol:
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

Having just picked up a Lympstone, my opinion my be a little one sided, but I tend to agree with a good few others, who frankly have put it far better than I would have. I too see the watch as a sturdy, well put together, good looking watch, that honours and/or pays thanks to those who are serving and have served and made sacrifices at different levels, so others didnt have to. That means a lot to me personally. When friends and family have asked about my Lympstone already, thats the way I put it. CW have built something to honour people who more than deserve it. If there was anything on the front, I would have a totally different opinion though I think.

I see both the Colchester and Lympstone as watches in their own right. As they have no obvious link to the military from the front, I cant see it any other way. I thought about this exact point as I was looking at it at Park St. I owned a Luminox Navy Seal diver watch, which I loved to bits. Nobody thought I was ex Navy Seal, or pretending to be.... TRUST ME!!!

I have never been a military man so ive ran this past a good few friends and family who are & were. The popular opinion was that as the watch doesnt advertise the regiment, it doesnt really matter. But equally, they wouldnt personally wear one from another regiment themselves. (Shock!)

I probably should have asked the "official" story behind them as I was buying it and drooling over others, but my mind (and wallet) were working overtime...!!!
These users thanked the author Dickchins for the post:
JasperCat
Ukyo
Junior
Junior

Post by Ukyo »

All this talk of the Lympstone made me take out mine to wear for a while. Lol.

On another note, the Colchester has been delayed and when I ordered, I used the regular $125 off coupon. With the BF 15% off promo, I would've saved even more (which would also reduce customs) so I emailed them and asked them if I would need to cancel and reorder (knowing I will go to the back of the line) or if they will honor the additional discount and they said they will honor the additional discount so that was nice.
Dilbert
Senior
Senior

Post by Dilbert »

Dickchins wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pmI owned a Luminox Navy Seal diver watch, which I loved to bits. Nobody thought I was ex Navy Seal
Is that because your SEAL training let you to remain incognito? ;)
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Dilbert wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:06 pm
Dickchins wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pmI owned a Luminox Navy Seal diver watch, which I loved to bits. Nobody thought I was ex Navy Seal
:lol: :clap:
No it because im nearer a whale than a seal these days :escape:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Dickchins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:01 pm
Dilbert wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:06 pm
:lol: :clap:
No it because im nearer a whale than a seal these days :escape:
When I told my wife that in middle school I had wanted to grow up to be a Navy SEAL, she looked at me, said “You?!” and laughed uncontrollably for about 10 minutes. A guy can dream….
Drew
David. S
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by David. S »

Mine landed earlier today, pun intended...
I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and got in before the pre order date was pushed back.
It's a great looking watch, the lack of visible crown was a bit odd when I first put it on, but in the few hours Its been on my wrist It's really grown on me. The carbon looks fantastic, just got to work out what straps will work with it.
Attachments
20211210_150138.jpg
These users thanked the author David. S for the post (total 2):
Jcalder68Gar787
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Will look great on a black nato
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
David. S
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

David. S wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:57 pm Mine landed earlier today, pun intended...
I ordered it a couple of weeks ago and got in before the pre order date was pushed back.
It's a great looking watch, the lack of visible crown was a bit odd when I first put it on, but in the few hours Its been on my wrist It's really grown on me. The carbon looks fantastic, just got to work out what straps will work with it.
This model is definitely on my wish list, I’d love to see it on a variety of leather straps and NATOs if you have any?
Keep well
C
These users thanked the author Jcalder68 for the post:
David. S
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.