Curved Spring Bars

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Curved Spring Bars

Post by Timishere »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to fit a rubber strap into 20mm lugs and getting nowhere (other than scratching lugs :-)).

I've had a search on the forum and seems like curved spring bars are suggested in this scenario.

I have 3 questions though I wanted to ask :

1- for 20mm lugs what size curved spring bar do I need (bearing in mind I may need to bend my own)
2- is it actually OK to buy normal ones and then bend them?
3- any ideas of where to get them (eg Watch Obsession) as previous cheap and cheerful ones have rusted within a month!

Thanks in advance
Tim
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Curved Spring Bars

Post by tikkathree »

My answers are:

1. Depends how far you bend them but 21/22mm. (I bend mine over a matchstick.) Start with 21mm.
2. Sure, what else?
3. I've got an endless boxful bought from EBay two millenia ago (it seems) but somewhere like watchgecko?
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You guys may find this helpful.

Curved spring bar tool
Curved spring bar tool.jpg
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
tikkathree
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Thanks, both.

Appreciate the input, so helpful to learn from the experiences of others. If I buy a big box I too will be storing them for eons!
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

I've read that you can bend spring bars by pressing them over an appropriately sized spoon. Never tried it myself, so YMMV applies.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

audio.bill wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:08 pm I've read that you can bend spring bars by pressing them over an appropriately sized spoon. Never tried it myself, so YMMV applies.
Anything around the house thicker than a cocktail stick, slimmer than a pencil... adapt...improvise.... :thumbup:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Using curved bars will only work with a rubber strap if the end of the strap is also curved - if it’s a straight end rubber strap I wouldn’t be trying to force a curved bar through it personally.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

if it’s a straight end rubber strap I wouldn’t be trying to force a curved bar through it personally.
Nor me - the tension will work against a secure fitting I would have thought.

Is the watch designed to fit curved spring bars? If not, the angle of the holes will be wrong and you'll still struggle to fit them unless you bend the ends to compensate. Do they fit well without the strap? If yes, then I'd keep trying. If not ...
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Thanks, all.

I've tried fitting it with the oem straight bars and no dice. The non-oem strap also came with curved bars which I used and the strap duly fitted. Subsequently those curved bars have started to rust and need replacing.

My concern with the DIY bending is that if I bend too much the effective length could be under 20mm and thus the strap liable to come off. I need try and find some way to measure a curve with mm tolerance!
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by exHowfener »

I need try and find some way to measure a curve with mm tolerance!
1. Use a piece of string/cord
2. Straighten out the rusty curved bars and measure them. Use pliers.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Great idea, thanks. If I bend the new ones to the same profile as the rusty ones that would indeed work. Or I was thinking of sticking the ends into something soft (bar of soap!) and measuring. I've been coming up with blue peter solutions all day.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Place a piece of string or wire against the old spring bar, then lay it flat & measure.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

I bought a set of Masar curved spring bars from Amazon. They were not cheap but the quality seems to be very high. I used them with a curved end rubber strap and they fit perfectly. They suggest ordering the size according to lug width. I therefore bought the 22mm version to fit my C60 and am delighted with the fit
Gordon
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

GTC854 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:41 pm I bought a set of Masar curved spring bars from Amazon. They were not cheap but the quality seems to be very high. I used them with a curved end rubber strap and they fit perfectly. They suggest ordering the size according to lug width. I therefore bought the 22mm version to fit my C60 and am delighted with the fit
Thanks! I will take a look as would absolutely kick myself if I dropped or lost a watch due to bar failure!
Timishere
Expert
Expert

Post by Timishere »

Timishere wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:44 pm
GTC854 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:41 pm I bought a set of Masar curved spring bars from Amazon. They were not cheap but the quality seems to be very high. I used them with a curved end rubber strap and they fit perfectly. They suggest ordering the size according to lug width. I therefore bought the 22mm version to fit my C60 and am delighted with the fit
Thanks! I will take a look as would absolutely kick myself if I dropped or lost a watch due to bar failure!
Thanks again for this tip. They arrived today and seem very sturdy. Only thing now is that the rubber is pushed up a bit in the middle away from the lugs, so I might need to bend them in a bit in the middle after all!