Lug-Stitching on Leather Straps - Yay or Nay?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Lug-Stitching on Leather Straps - Yay or Nay?

Post by artphotodude »

So have noticed in the last 5 years that those little wrap-around stitches in contrasting colors near the lugs becoming really common. Now, well-patterned length-wise stitching is obviously attractive (especially in a padded strap), but this other feels to me like pretentiousness (sort of like how picture framers where doing triple-matting in the 1990s) and you have to ask if the band is trying to be the subject of the exercise, rather than an accessory.

I purchased a very slim (34mm) Soviet Dress Watch recently (see attached #1) and it seemed to cry-out for a sleek, avant garde strap. Much of my collection is either fanciful (on the lighter end) or downright bombastic on the deep end.
After spending WAY TOO MUCH TIME looking at what's out there (having initially thought I'd go with Stingray, and then hand-tooled leather), I ran into Epi Leather and knew this was the thing (see attached #2). BUT there is that funky stitching again! I asked the lady making the strap in Vietnam if it was important to make the strap stronger, and she said it was like 10% more durable with it, but that she could just as easily NOT. :D :clap:

Is there something wrong with me? I just don't like this. One of my bands has it, but I honestly didn't notice for ever because it was exactly the same color as the leather.

BTW these cool Raketa "Jeans" watches are exactly the right size to use a Vintage Swatch Guard - so will be using a clear one on it! Will post later showing how it all looks.

s-l1600.jpg
el.jpg

How do you all feel - Yay or Nay? :?:
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Lug-Stitching on Leather Straps - Yay or Nay?

Post by Thegreyman »

I think it works with a vintage leather style strap on certain watches with a retro look. I have one on my blue alcantara Martu strap worn with the BB58 blue. Not sure they would work with more of a dress watch though.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 2):
straplinejkbarnes
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

No thank you
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Big yay from me. Need to be a really good vintage leather though...

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I probably prefer without, although its not the end of the world. I tend to pick dressier straps, which often come without, but I bought a CW Tiber which does have have the stitches. Am I right thinking that strap edges tend to be finished differently with the lug-stitching?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Not for me thanks.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:20 am I think it works with a vintage leather style strap on certain watches with a retro look. I have one on my blue alcantara Martu strap worn with the BB58 blue. Not sure they would work with more of a dress watch though.
My thoughts, exactly. It works on the right strap with the right watch. I have a Tiber strap that looks great on my vintage inspired Seiko diver, but I wouldn’t dream of putting it on my C65 AMGT LE. In much the same way, I wouldn’t put a rally strap on a diver.

D1F20707-040F-4364-8C3A-492810EEF6B1.jpeg
Not the best pic, but you can get the idea
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

In most cased Nay, but there could be situations where it would be a yay. It would depend on the watch and my mood.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:38 pm It works on the right strap with the right watch.
Good answer. And the best judge of “right” is? Yep, the wearer.

So my equally brief answer would be: “Sure. Why not?”

Make your own rules. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
WileyECoyote
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 10

Post by WileyECoyote »

One of my watches, the C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer, has that type of stitching with a dark brown leather strap. I think in this particular case, that type of stitching makes for a perfect choice because how it lends a vintage feel to a watch representing as vintage a line of automobiles as to be found. I do like the way that it looks with that watch. I think that stitching would look good for certain pilot's watches if a vintage flair is desired. In most cases, that type of stitching isn't the way that I would go. Such matters are highly subjective & personal in nature. Like Steve wrote, the only rules are the ones that we make for ourselves. :thumbup:

Delmar
C60-Trident Atoll LE/Trident Pro 600
C65-AM GT LE/Super Compressor
C63 GMT Sealander/2023 Forum LE
C1 Russell Black Dial/C1 Morgan 3 Wheeler Chronometer/C8 Pilot Revival LE
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I have a Tiber leather strap on my C60 so another "Yay" from me.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Yes from me, I like this style of stitching and have a leather on my El Primero and a canvas on my trident with it.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Yay from me, in the right circumstances.

On a vintage styled watch they can look just the part. However, they ideally need to be featured on a strap constructed from one, single thickness of leather. No laminated or padded variants here please!

If the strap is constructed from more than one layer of leather/lining/padding, then I’d opt to ditch them and go for simple side stitching only.

Just my opinion, keep well

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I always associate the side stitch with vintage straps, and I like the added detail. Otherwise it’s just a strap.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
artphotodude
Senior
Senior

Post by artphotodude »

JAFO wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:12 am I probably prefer without, although its not the end of the world. I tend to pick dressier straps, which often come without, but I bought a CW Tiber which does have have the stitches. Am I right thinking that strap edges tend to be finished differently with the lug-stitching?
She said in the case of mine it is the same, just doesn't have those put on (probably glued).