Are CW Too Affordable?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Are CW Too Affordable?

Post by Caller »

BobMunro wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm The moral of this story - CW needs to increase prices so they are not perceived as cheap imitators of swiss horology!
CW are an Anglo-Swiss company, and as such, are already a part of Swiss horology.
These users thanked the author Caller for the post:
BobMunro
'Tis me
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by BobMunro »

Caller wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:13 pm
BobMunro wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:20 pm The moral of this story - CW needs to increase prices so they are not perceived as cheap imitators of swiss horology!
CW are an Anglo-Swiss company, and as such, are already a part of Swiss horology.
Yes - I know that, you know that and everyone who buys a CW knows that. It's the people who haven't bought a CW who might not - and I used the word 'perceived'.
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Thegreyman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm Arguably Tribus tried to achieve a better cost price ratio, and that didn't work.
They did, but the quality was awful so. of course, it couldn't work...
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

I think to push on price wise CW must now have a presence on the High Street in a mainstream Jewellers. Have to pick the right one though. I'd try for Ernest Jones or Goldsmiths
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

redmonaco wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am
Thegreyman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:19 pm Arguably Tribus tried to achieve a better cost price ratio, and that didn't work.
Have you handled one?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

I think that the pricing of CWs is about right.

I remember a thread a couple of years ago, that discussed what the likely maximum forumites would pay for particular brands.

I responded to the OP restricting my reply to brands I had that had been mentioned by the OP.

IIRC I said £400 for a CW. If asked the same again now I would say £800. The maximum that I would currently pay for a couple of more expensive brands has remained unchanged.

The point that I am currently unlikely to spend more than £800 on a CW is more indicative of the other stuff that I own, rather than a view on, the quality of CW.

Hey I came close to ordering a C60 Concept, but wanted to give it more thought. Not because of concerns regarding the price, but needed to think through whether I would wear it enough.

So if nothing else the quality and design of a few current CWs has moved me to at least doubling what I would spend on a watch from the brand, compared with a couple of years ago.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
Thegreyman
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

redmonaco wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 am I think to push on price wise CW must now have a presence on the High Street in a mainstream Jewellers. Have to pick the right one though. I'd try for Ernest Jones or Goldsmiths
Agreed - there’s only so far you can go as an online only retailer with a product such as a watch. I’ve been into many jewellers, both big chains and independents, in the past with a CW on. Many haven’t even heard of the brand and only one had ever handled one (he had an existing customer with 2 that he adjusted the bracelets for). CW need a presence on the high street where people see and handle them. We see CW watches as ‘affordable’ - for most ‘normal’ people it is a considered purchase and I’d like to wager that the majority of people going out to buy that ‘special watch’ for several hundred/ thousand pounds want to hold it, try it on, compare it to others etc…. (I was one of those people when my parents were buying me a birthday watch a number of years ago). In a nutshell, they need to be visible to people outside of the watch world. This, in my opinion, would be the way of increasing prices.
These users thanked the author TigerChris for the post:
jkbarnes
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Ernest Jones might work, but Goldsmith's are Watches of SWitzerland.
However, given the apparent margin that High St Jewellers have to work with, it's very hard to see how there is enough markup in it for both CW and the watch shop. I sort of feel that CW are selling to the public at not much more than Oris would sell to the jeweller.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

There are many high end brands that have limited high street presence. They sell their watches ok, some at prices CW can at the moment only dream about.

If a brand gets a strong enough reputation people will buy without trying on.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

CW margins do not work with High Street Jewellers and the logistics are totally different, but maybe a few strategic boutiques could work for expanding beyond watch people.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:56 am
redmonaco wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:35 am
Have you handled one?
I've handled several. The last being the tri-01 and 02 and 04. The build quality and case manufacture weren't good enough to hold a cosc movement imo
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by redmonaco »

H0rati0 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:49 pm CW margins do not work with High Street Jewellers and the logistics are totally different, but maybe a few strategic boutiques could work for expanding beyond watch people.
The idea was how CW could charge higher prices. Going to the high street would be a way for them to do that. Quality wise they do stack up to other makes that are charging more.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Well, coming right back to the original question
So are they too cheap at just 3x cost?
I would say (I'm not being facetious) it really depends on how you choose to calculate cost doesn't it?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

redmonaco wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:54 pm
The idea was how CW could charge higher prices. Going to the high street would be a way for them to do that. Quality wise they do stack up to other makes that are charging more.
Giving the extra margin to the High Street won't help the business unless volume expands considerably, though no argument that CW quality supports a higher price. I do confess to coming at this focussed on CW losing a shedload last year.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

Over the last few years has it not been the case that most watch brands are now moving to on-line platforms? Tissot, Oris and Omega having significant online shops. Many of the big brands are moving towards in house boutiques to stop high street jewellers discounting their products. A local retailers implied the their mark up from wholesale to retail was in the region of 33% or dependant on brand. This add 33% to a CW and it would give you a rough guide of High street retail.

Are CW too cheap - For quality & materials no. However the difficulty CW have is brand value. Most people will add a significant value and therefore price for a brand name. TAG, Breitling and Oris use Sellitia movements and charge a lot more for a watch.