Racing or Rally Straps for Motorsport Themed Watches?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Racing or Rally Straps for Motorsport Themed Watches?

Post by Leon O »

Do you prefer racing (perforated) or rally (large holes) straps on motorsport themed watches?

Strapco Rally
20211122_203645.jpg
Barton Racing
20210915_153649.jpg
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Racing or Rally Straps for Motorsport Themed Watches?

Post by Soporsche »

Hi Leon, have played extensively with both and prefer either perforated or vintage style rally I.e. numbers of punched holes (proper holes but smaller than those on your rally pics).

I'm actually looking for a 24mm perforated at the moment that tapers to 18 or 20 (max) for my Tudor Grantour, wishing it had 22mm lugs as there are so many more options :D
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m perfectly happy with both and have both. What’s important to me is that the strap have a good taper to it. Pics to follow later in the day….
Drew
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm Hi Leon, have played extensively with both and prefer either perforated or vintage style rally I.e. numbers of punched holes (proper holes but smaller than those on your rally pics).

I'm actually looking for a 24mm perforated at the moment that tapers to 18 or 20 (max) for my Tudor Grantour, wishing it had 22mm lugs as there are so many more options :D
When you say vintage rally, are there slightly larger holes going in line down the center with smaller holes along the side?
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

I never realised there was a distinction between racing and rally straps before :oops:
I’ve been toying with the idea of a perforated strap for my sandstorm - so I guess it’ll need to be a rally style one. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Leon O wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:50 pm
Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm Hi Leon, have played extensively with both and prefer either perforated or vintage style rally I.e. numbers of punched holes (proper holes but smaller than those on your rally pics).

When you say vintage rally, are there slightly larger holes going in line down the center with smaller holes along the side?
Generally yes and I've had a few of these made for me by the likes of Steveo, Heureville and even our very own Footcrazy on here.
They can actually be all the same size, mixed sizes and in any pattern (diamond being reasonably common).
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
Leon O
Stephen

Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

missF wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm I never realised there was a distinction between racing and rally straps before :oops:
I’ve been toying with the idea of a perforated strap for my sandstorm - so I guess it’ll need to be a rally style one. :thumbup:
The answer is sort of with the larger holes generally considered Rally but... some makers call these racing too and some call the perforated ones, rally. I generall end up searching for racing, perforated and rally on to see what they throw up 🙄 😁
Stephen

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:37 pm I generall end up searching for racing, perforated and rally on to see what they throw up 🙄 😁
That’s exactly what I do!
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:37 pm
The answer is sort of
Thanks! :lol:
Martu has a few new racing straps in her collection (and usually has a Black Friday sale too :thumbup: )
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

missF wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:45 pm
Thanks! :lol:
Martu has a few new racing straps in her collection (and usually has a Black Friday sale too :thumbup: )
Let me know how you get on, I've heard good things but hadn't thought of Martu for a racing :thumbup:
Stephen

biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:58 pm I'm actually looking for a 24mm perforated at the moment that tapers to 18 or 20 (max) for my Tudor Grantour, wishing it had 22mm lugs as there are so many more options :D
Barton are an option at 24mm. Really pleased with the perforated strap I have.
These users thanked the author biggus_richus for the post:
Soporsche
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

^^^ Thanks Rich, they look really good but I want a bit more taper on this 24mm to 20 buckle or even 18 at push. However, I've never tried Barton but now going to order one for a different watch which think it will really suit. 👍
biggus_richus
Stephen

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:23 pm ^^^ Thanks Rich, they look really good but I want a bit more taper on this 24mm to 20 buckle or even 18 at push. However, I've never tried Barton but now going to order one for a different watch which think it will really suit. 👍
I have a Barton rally strap that I like. My only complaint is that it doesn’t taper. If the taper is really important to you, maybe look elsewhere.

I’ve got two rally/racing straps from Watchgecko that have a really great taper, so definitely go take a look.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Soporsche
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

My favourite. :)
6038A02F-F3A1-4B5C-93D6-F51E307D4FA2.jpeg
8262B2FC-9FD4-41DD-B77E-3156BF01177F.jpeg
Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
biggus_richusjkbarnesSoporsche
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:48 pm
Soporsche wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:23 pm ^^^ Thanks Rich, they look really good but I want a bit more taper on this 24mm to 20 buckle or even 18 at push. However, I've never tried Barton but now going to order one for a different watch which think it will really suit. 👍
I’ve got two rally/racing straps from Watchgecko that have a really great taper, so definitely go take a look.
I like watchgecko and have a number of straps from them, unfortunately they only do a 24mm racing/rally in the Kudu leather (brown) and I need black. The Radstock is my favourite.

PS guys have you seen their current sale prices, really good deals especially on racing/rally @missF
jkbarnes
Stephen