What Car do you drive??

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: What Car do you drive??

Post by Thegreyman »

With all the new cars on the forum, I was keen not to miss out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 6):
jkbarnesThermexmanBidentBahnstormer_vRSgannetMiniMpi
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by malvern_man »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:52 pm With all the new cars on the forum, I was keen not to miss out!

Great looking Beemer, is the colour Tanzanite Blue?

I like the M Sport black kidney grill and blacked out chrome trim.

Regards, Chris.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Thegreyman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:52 pm With all the new cars on the forum, I was keen not to miss out!
Very nice, Patrick, congratulations. I once had a 135i in a very similar color. One of my favorite cars. Enjoy!
Best regards,
John
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Looks well mate - I like the contrast of the light interior with the blue exterior :thumbup: I thought about having cream/grey leather when I ordered my last car but thought better of it due to the dogs! I think it looks fantastic though.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ Top notch, Patrick. :clap: :clap:

Glad to see you are a creature of habit and you've stayed with the full fossil fuel version. 3xx d ?

Although its not quite the full fat 'M' iteration.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

^^^ lovely choice Patrick, congrats.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

Lovely car and colour combination, congratulations :thumbsup:
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ Excellent, Patrick. Happy motoring.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

Being the imaginative accountant (good oxymoron there) that I am, I went from a blue BMW 3 series diesel M Sport to a.......blue BMW 3 series diesel M Sport :lol:

I did like my old car a lot however under our company scheme where you can either get a company car or a cash alternative, if you go for the latter then the car must be less than 5 years old and less than a certain CO2. My car had gone past 5 years so I had to change it.

I could have had a 330e plug in hybrid on our company scheme but I wasn't prepared to wait 6 months, have the hassle of getting a home charger installed, and I think most plug in hybrids are just a company car tax dodge for what is essentially a 2 litre petrol car with a small fuel tank. So having crunched the numbers, decided it was also financially better to get my own car.

The car itself is a 318d M Sport with the optional M Sport Pro pack. Like my last car its a 2 litre diesel engine, 8 speed auto gearbox. The engine though is the optional mild hybrid (non plug in) diesel version which lowers the C02 a bit. It is a little lower on power than the 320d however it's 8 seconds rather than 7s to 60 so still more than adequately quick for my needs, on the road it doesn't really feel noticeably different power wise, even without trying the "sport" button.

Being the latest generation 3 series, there is quite a marked jump forward in technology compared to my old car such as lane departure, blind spot, pedestrian safety systems. Quite a cool feature is that it reads the road signs and shows you the current speed limit which is very useful if you are on a road you don't know.....I'm sure these are quite common features on a number of new cars now.

I'm a really loving the look of the car. My last car was Estoril blue, this one is Portimao blue (BMW have a fascination with Portuguese racing circuits clearly!) and is a little darker and almost has a purpley tinge to it so subtly different. The M Sport Pro pack gives the 19 inch wheels with M Sport brakes/blue calipers, shadowline which essentially gives all black trim in place of any chrome which I think looks really cool. Dynamically it also gets the optional adaptive suspension. The interior has the much bigger central nav/display screen and it has the digital dash, so called virtual cockpit too, all very high tech and I think I'll need to spend a while to work it all out and explore the myriad of settings. The interior is oyster leather compared to the black leather of my last two cars but it does lighten and lift the interior. I don't have any dogs or young kids so hopefully should be able to keep it clean!

I feel I got a decent deal, this is a just under one year old ex demo of the dealer with very little mileage. The list price is quite eye watering however got a decent chunk off that and they threw in Supaguard paint and interior treatment too. The trade in value was crazy. For my 5 year and 3 month old car, trade in was only £3k less than I paid for it four and a half years ago. So overall the cost to change wasn't too painful.

The car has got a great reaction from friends and family who have seen the car and I think this is my best looking car ever so very happy with it :D
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
Thermexman
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

A really gorgeous car Patrick !
Congratulations :clap:
These users thanked the author MiniMpi for the post:
Thegreyman
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Nice car Patrick and worth working out the tech and whether some can be disabled. Presumably it's still rear wheel drive? You never know nowadays.

I agree traffic sign recognition is quite handy, but in my experience a lot of it now forced on the manufacturers to fit for 'safety' and does more harm than good.

I've had recent experience of lane assist getting confused and pushing some force back into the steering wheel to correct my line, when it misread the road surface.

More worrying is when auto braking kicks in when the cameras can't process parked or oncoming traffic correctly and the car does a full emergency stop and you wait for the impact from the car following you. Oh and auto dipping (flashing) main beam.

Im sure the stats will day these systems save lives, but they also cause unnecessary accidents and stress too.

Most are switched off on my cars at startup.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:42 pm Nice car Patrick and worth working out the tech and whether some can be disabled. Presumably it's still rear wheel drive? You never know nowadays.

I agree traffic sign recognition is quite handy, but in my experience a lot of it now forced on the manufacturers to fit for 'safety' and does more harm than good.

I've had recent experience of lane assist getting confused and pushing some force back into the steering wheel to correct my line, when it misread the road surface.

More worrying is when auto braking kicks in when the cameras can't process parked or oncoming traffic correctly and the car does a full emergency stop and you wait for the impact from the car following you. Oh and auto dipping (flashing) main beam.

Im sure the stats will day these systems save lives, but they also cause unnecessary accidents and stress too.

Most are switched off on my cars at startup.
Ahhh, traffic sign recognition, a royal pain in the rear on dual carriageways/motorways - wait till you drive past a HGV with a limit sticker on the back of it and the car reads it as a speed limit sign! Lane keep assist? Absolute rubbish, bordering on dangerous, but can’t be turned off by default in my car so I have to turn it off on start up every time. Auto main beam is useful but usually causes more cars coming the other way to flash at you than a little - fortunately, I now have matrix lights which are fantastic and the only ‘driving aid’ that I actually use.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^Chris and Chris, thanks for the observations about the technology.

I have experienced already the lane assist moving the steering wheel to get me back into line, quite a surprise when you've never had this feature before. The tech is all configurable and can be switched off so I need to spend a bit of time working that all out and getting the right set up for me.

A few other observations from the BMW dealer:

-Very few new cars available compared to normal, if you buy new it's a bit like getting a Rolex in that don't bother asking for a discount cos you won't get one
- No wonder they are keen for you to take finance, they get 8% commission on the value you finance :shock:
- My old traded in car is now up for sale, it's a Sep 16 car and the selling price is only £100 less than I paid for it in June 17 :lol:
Patrick

golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Congrats bud
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
Thegreyman
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:09 am Very few new cars available compared to normal, if you buy new it's a bit like getting a Rolex in that don't bother asking for a discount cos you won't get one

I got a £3k discount on the BMW X5 M Sport that I've ordered.
These users thanked the author malvern_man for the post:
Peteo
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI