UPDATE UPDATE: Should I sell my stuck C60 600 Pro COSC SH21 - 60/60 Guarantee denied at 5th Year - A Happy Ending

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
NeWard
Senior
Senior

UPDATE UPDATE: Should I sell my stuck C60 600 Pro COSC SH21 - 60/60 Guarantee denied at 5th Year - A Happy Ending

Post by NeWard »

Hi guys, as some of you might know from earlier this year I got a 1 of 32 Red bezel C60 Trident Automatic SH21, but the watch became stuck within a week of getting it. I sent it back to Christopher Ward and quoted $500 service/repair fee for the sh21 in house movement. Since my financial situation has changed recently I'm unable to afford for the movement repair. Should I try to sell the watch as is or just keep it myself? The red bezel version of this watch is pretty limited as only 32 were ever made, maybe I should keep it as a token of appreciation from CW. Any thoughts? :oops: :oops: :oops:

IMG_9814.jpg
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Should I sell my stuck C60 600 Pro COSC SH21 Red Bezel 1 of 32

Post by jkbarnes »

Was the watch not still under warranty when you sent it in? If something went wrong within a week of buying it, I would think it’s a warranty issue. Or was this a private sale of a previously owned watch?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
NeWard
Drew
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Is your financial situation likely to change for the better in the foreseeable future? If so, and you like it enough, it might be worth holding on to it until you can get it repaired.
These users thanked the author Kansas City Milkman for the post:
NeWard
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I doubt that a watch with a $500 fault would sell very well (assuming you give an honest description - Caveat emptor) so I suppose it comes down to whether you think that your finances will improve again. Hopefully they will, regardless of what you do with the watch. I'd be tempted to hang on to it if possible as I think you might regret selling it, but I don't know you so maybe not? It may be that CW have quoted the upper end of repair/service cost but unfortunately the only way to find out is to let them go ahead.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
NeWard
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

It's an old hand set, isn't it, so maybe it's out of warranty. I think I would hold on to it for s while in case your circumstances change, and you do feel like spending the money. I doubt anyone else can repair it. Perhaps CW would buy it from for their archives. It's certainly an attractive watch. What a shame.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
NeWard
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:26 pm Was the watch not still under warranty when you sent it in? If something went wrong within a week of buying it, I would think it’s a warranty issue. Or was this a private sale of a previously owned watch?
Hi so the watch is still under warranty apparently, but since I bought this piece used I don't have the guaranteed card. The customer representative confirmed that the watch is still under warranty, but since 1. I no longer have the paper to support it and 2. The watch didn't get serviced from CW at the recommended interval aka: 3-4 yrs after been sent out, the piece is no longer eligible for the warranty repair. Therefore they asked me to pay the $500 repair fee in order to get the watch fixed.
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:35 pm Is your financial situation likely to change for the better in the foreseeable future? If so, and you like it enough, it might be worth holding on to it until you can get it repaired.
That's what I'm thinking... because this piece is very rare the fact that I can't get this fixed right now doesn't mean I can't later on, but selling it for fund is also tempting....
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

exHowfener wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:44 pm I doubt that a watch with a $500 fault would sell very well (assuming you give an honest description - Caveat emptor) so I suppose it comes down to whether you think that your finances will improve again. Hopefully they will, regardless of what you do with the watch. I'd be tempted to hang on to it if possible as I think you might regret selling it, but I don't know you so maybe not? It may be that CW have quoted the upper end of repair/service cost but unfortunately the only way to find out is to let them go ahead.
CW quoted the bare minimum cost to service the sh21.... in fact they told me if they found out during the service that anything else needs replaced/fixed, there will be additional charges associated with the watch.

If I'm going to sell the watch of course I will list the fault or the seller can easily look this watch up and sees my post, since only 32 were ever made its pretty easy to track down the ones posted online. I'm not sure if selling is the right move here thus I posted on the thread, still debating... :oops:
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

JAFO wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:53 pm It's an old hand set, isn't it, so maybe it's out of warranty. I think I would hold on to it for s while in case your circumstances change, and you do feel like spending the money. I doubt anyone else can repair it. Perhaps CW would buy it from for their archives. It's certainly an attractive watch. What a shame.
I believe it's between MK1 and MK2 transition and CW made this batch of 32 watches to clear up their stock inventory in order to push out the new logos, therefore the unofficial limited edition of this watch is born with only 32 ever made. The customer representative informed me that the watch is indeed still under warranty from the serial number lookup, but will unable to honor it since the watch did not get serviced at the 3-4 yr mark. I didn't feel comfortable letting anyone else service it so I sent it in back to CW and quoted the $500 bill, maybe I should just hold onto it.... debating :oops: :oops: :oops:
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

Or how about I put it this way, if you were the owner of this watch would you spend the $500 for CW to fix it?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Keep it back and get it sorted, but:

The warranty on these is five years, full stop. It was not necessary in MK II days for a service (that advice came in last year IIRC) so you can argue that point with CS around to your favour. Nor is it necessary to have the documentation as I am sure others here will confirm.

Go back to CS and escalate if necessary - good luck!
These users thanked the author H0rati0 for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesStifNeWard
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 pm Keep it back and get it sorted, but:

The warranty on these is five years, full stop. It was not necessary in MK II days for a service (that advice came in last year IIRC) so you can argue that point with CS around to your favour. Nor is it necessary to have the documentation as I am sure others here will confirm.

Go back to CS and escalate if necessary - good luck!
Wait I did not know this piece of information?!!... I thought it was always standard that service must been done during the 3-4 yr interval in order to qualify for the 60/60, I'm going to ask them about this, thank you!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

NeWard wrote:Or how about I put it this way, if you were the owner of this watch would you spend the $500 for CW to fix it?
Yes, as $500 has got to be mostly the Service it should have had before you bought it.

Is the watch still with CW?

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Not sure where my first reply went, but it appears lost in the aerher.

If you can afford to hang on to the watch until circumstances change, do so, and arrange for the repair then. What is it worth? Does it make sense to you to try selling at $500 less than its value to account for the cost of repair?

I had a watch that I got repaired. The repair bill was twice what I paid for the watch but as I really liked the watch and the total cost didn’t break the bank I went ahead with the repair. Only you can really assess the repair impact on your situation. Hold it for future repair, but only if you really like the watch. You might find a buyer, here, who would take it with full disclosure.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
NeWard
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

If I'm going to sell the watch of course I will list the fault
I was assuming that you would disclose the fault. Regardless of whether CS can step in, you now have a good idea of what the ongoing cost of ownership (regular servicing) and, for me at least, that would help make my mind up. Ir's an expensive movement to maintain, I like simple things!
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post:
NeWard
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left