C63 Sealander Collection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: C63 Sealander Collection

Post by Fat-Sam »

Finally arrived today- must admit after buying the TRI-04 I‘d assumed this may go back, returned in favour of the Tribus offering. But on seeing it I’m really impressed. The green doesn’t seem to show on photos very well but I’ve not made any effort with photos and it looks great in real life. (Trust me 😄)

The size is perfect and quality seems great.
6CB5C669-B541-4846-B1DA-E5DEFF300912.jpeg
6B9D6038-02D7-4A8D-A6E3-11B77AA807FE.jpeg
These users thanked the author Fat-Sam for the post (total 4):
KipSellPhyTortoisefilmus
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Fat-Sam wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:00 pm Finally arrived today- must admit after buying the TRI-04 I‘d assumed this may go back, returned in favour of the Tribus offering. But on seeing it I’m really impressed. The green doesn’t seem to show on photos very well but I’ve not made any effort with photos and it looks great in real life. (Trust me 😄)

The size is perfect and quality seems great. 6CB5C669-B541-4846-B1DA-E5DEFF300912.jpeg
Based on pictures alone, I’d take the C63 Sealander in any configuration over any Tribus every day of the week. I’ll be curious to hear how they compare once you take delivery of the Tribus, so please keep us updated.
Drew
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

Post by Mike2795647 »

That green does look really nice, if I didn’t already have a green dial watch in my collection I might have been tempted over the blue.

I’ve been patiently waiting all week since last weekend for my blue to arrive, email today saying it’s been sent, sadly CW don’t spring for Saturday delivery so Monday will be arrival day.

In the interim, does anyone have any pictures of the blue? Im yet to see any outside of the CW website ones.
These users thanked the author Mike2795647 for the post:
steenan
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Fat-Sam wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:00 pm Finally arrived today- must admit after buying the TRI-04 I‘d assumed this may go back, returned in favour of the Tribus offering. But on seeing it I’m really impressed. The green doesn’t seem to show on photos very well but I’ve not made any effort with photos and it looks great in real life. (Trust me 😄)

The size is perfect and quality seems great. 6CB5C669-B541-4846-B1DA-E5DEFF300912.jpeg
I do like that - the dial looks superb. I’ve banged on for a long time about CW making a true ‘Aqua Terra Killer’ and the 3 hand C63 is almost there - get them COSC certified and I think it would be very difficult to beat. In fact, how about 2 versions? Standard in all brushed and a COSC with brushed/polished case and PCL bracelet which would really compete with the AT? In fact, it would beat the AT due to the micro adjust clasp. A Fitted rubber strap option to complete the option list. Now that would be cool in my opinion.
These users thanked the author TigerChris for the post:
rkovars
GMT411

Post by GMT411 »

The blue lume looks great against the green dial!
These users thanked the author GMT411 for the post:
Fat-Sam
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

We could use some photos in the Reference Gallery of that beautiful green Sealander Automatic. :D
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

TigerChris wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:50 pm

I do like that - the dial looks superb. I’ve banged on for a long time about CW making a true ‘Aqua Terra Killer’ and the 3 hand C63 is almost there - get them COSC certified and I think it would be very difficult to beat. In fact, how about 2 versions? Standard in all brushed and a COSC with brushed/polished case and PCL bracelet which would really compete with the AT? In fact, it would beat the AT due to the micro adjust clasp. A Fitted rubber strap option to complete the option list. Now that would be cool in my opinion.
I’ll be honest I think I’d pay extra if they offered even a regulating service to guarantee accuracy, but in reality I’ve never had a bad movement from CW theyve all been around cosc whether certified or not (I’m also anti PCL bracelet so that would be worse to me than a 9oclock logo… ooops
B76CD53F-192A-43FD-AF03-4FA166302F62.jpeg
“Downsizing…”
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

Kip wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:02 pm We could use some photos in the Reference Gallery of that beautiful green Sealander Automatic. :D
Hopefully tomorrow when I have better light and a camera I will get some decent ones as my iphone is not taking good photos for some reason 👍🏼👍🏼
“Downsizing…”
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Leszek
Senior
Senior

Post by Leszek »

A green one reached the eastern outskirts of Europe, too:-) Yesterday I got this beauty and I don't regret going for the green dial. It is truly special; the shades seem kind of stony and vintagey, like sourced from a moss covered quarry:

These users thanked the author Leszek for the post (total 6):
straplineFat-SamSellPhyAlexS.welshladfilmus
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Leszek wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:41 am A green one reached the eastern outskirts of Europe, too:-) Yesterday I got this beauty and I don't regret going for the green dial. It is truly special; the shades seem kind of stony and vintagey, like sourced from a moss covered quarry:
Great photo!! I think this is the best 'colourway' (think there's a discussion going on elsewhere about this word) of the C63 range. I also like the disrupted dial surface caused by the ombré finish.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
AlexS.
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by AlexS. »

I will finally see mine on thursday. It arrived last friday but since I'm out of office, have to live with the wait another few days before picking it up.

Oh the wait... :D
C65 Trident Classic Mk1 Limited #167
Panerai Luminor 00914
Rolex Explorer 2 216570 BD
Rolex GMT Master II 126711 CHNR
JLC Reverso Tribute Small Seconds Q397846J
Leszek
Senior
Senior

Post by Leszek »

Great photo!! I think this is the best 'colourway' (think there's a discussion going on elsewhere about this word) of the C63 range. I also like the disrupted dial surface caused by the ombré finish.

Des
Many thanks, the watch looks darker in most photos perhaps because of the time of the year. Little sunshine here in Poland:-(
The texture of the dial is great; I think it works particularly well with this colour, just like the subtle wave pattern looked superb with white dials in good old Tridents C60 but not so impressive with black ones.
Here is another shot of the dial:
These users thanked the author Leszek for the post:
JasperCat
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

It really has a Rolex OP feel (in a good way), more so than an aqua terra or datejust I think. Having owned and liked the AT and DJ, this has a less dressy feel but also has enough different about it with the green ombré dial to stop it being a bit boring- which is an issue I’ve had in the past with “perfect do it all watches” (like the Grand Seiko sbga085, DJ and AT)
“Downsizing…”
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
hadon2525
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by hadon2525 »

It's arrived! My C63 GMT in blue on a bracelet arrived yesterday lunchtime.
My first impression is that it IS a thing of beauty. The blue is lustrous - deep, dark, almost black sometimes. It catches the light beautifully, as do the applied indices.
It's very legible, although I wish the minute hand had just a bit more of a sharper point.
I like the way the bold,orange GMT hand just floats there although the black date wheel is a fail for me. Maybe it would be improved with a white wheel, if definitely would be improved with a date window.
Another fail is the age old problem of the male end links on the bracelet. It increases the lug-to-lug considerably and emphasises the rather, to me, chunkiness of the case. A shade under 12mm doesn't sound very thick but for the last 4 years I've been wearing a C65 LE which comes in at a fantastic 10.4mm. Lose the pointless display back and shave some mm's.
After 4 years of a 43mm diameter watch, (which I have droned on a lot on here about it being too large), the comedown to a 39mm has come as a shock, but I'm sure I'll learn to live with it...if I don't return it. - I didn't buy the standard C63 because I thought it was a bit plain compared to the GMT. I''m so impressed with the looks of the GMT that I would happily buy the standard in a heartbeat. I'm thinking of doing so and saving myself £200.
TigerChris, above, comments he would like a C63 COSC. I concur. 39mm, brushed bracelet, about a £900? Yes, please.

P.S. Can anyone enlighten me how long it takes a new watch to get to an acceptable running time? I set it perfectly. 24 hours later it has lost 26 seconds.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve got to honest, I think my favorite thing about the C63 Sealander is that beautiful blue lume against a white dial. God, I love blue lume! I wish I had a watch with blue lume.
Drew