Your help needed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Your help needed

Post by jkbarnes »

My general rule of thumb when undecided like this on a purchase is to hold off on the purchase, especially at price points like this. My second rule of thumb is to buy the item, not the discount, so I make a point of not letting a coupon/sale/discount code be the driving force in a purchase (FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m not as good about this rule!)

I suggest waiting rather than force a decision because of the expiration of a voucher.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
JAFOIlliera
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I would like to help but these days I find my opinion counts for nothing. Good luck in making the right decision.
These users thanked the author Richard D for the post:
Illiera
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:11 pm My general rule of thumb when undecided like this on a purchase is to hold off on the purchase, especially at price points like this. My second rule of thumb is to buy the item, not the discount, so I make a point of not letting a coupon/sale/discount code be the driving force in a purchase (FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m not as good about this rule!)

I suggest waiting rather than force a decision because of the expiration of a voucher.
Things were much easier when Henry Ford said you could have any colour, as long as it was "black".
It's easy to get a decision making paralysis, especially when you haven't seen something in real life, and you are just working off pictures.

The Blues Brothers had it made, because they liked Country and Western.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Illiera
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Your help needed

Post by nowttolose »

Why rush. I presume there’ll be a 15% discount for Black Friday at the end of November?

You’ll save more money too.
These users thanked the author nowttolose for the post (total 2):
JAFOIlliera
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

nowttolose wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:24 pm Why rush. I presume there’ll be a 15% discount for Black Friday at the end of November?

You’ll save more money too.
That would be handy. It might persuade me to get a CW leather watch box. :D
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Illiera
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

GMT for me. Love the orange forth hand on overall looks cleaner on the dial. Elite with day/date feels squeezed into the dial and busier for me.
These users thanked the author Viognier for the post:
Illiera
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

GMT vs chronometer? Tough call, but I would take the GMT as I am rather fond of them.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
Illiera
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I've owned both and the Elite is a clear winner for me. However, this is principally down to the weight & feel of the watch on my wrist.

The C60 GMT isn't a crazily heavy watch but there's something about the way it carries its weight on my wrist that makes it surprisingly uncomfortable. No such problem with the, 25% lighter head of the Elite. On a bracelet this weight difference will be even more noticeable. One thing to note is that the bracelet has a darker, more 'tool watch' vibe in titanium than steel.

The only thing against the Elite for me is that I'm not a huge fan of the day/date design. I have no need of a 'day' reminder & I find it clutters the dial - it does, as has been pointed out, help to balance the dial.
These users thanked the author Molan for the post:
Illiera
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Elite - COSC certified, day/date and Matt bezel = no contest for me. The ‘office GMT’ function really isn’t that practical when travelling anyway, although the orange GMT hand does look nice.
These users thanked the author TigerChris for the post:
Illiera
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

TigerChris wrote:The ‘office GMT’ function really isn’t that practical when travelling anyway.
As most know CW does not sell a true GMT, given the supply of ETA/Sellita movements.

Predominately it’s only Rolex-Tudor, Omega and Seiko you can buy a watch with this type of true GMT movement.

But, we are not Pan Am pilots, and not changing time zone every few hours.

An office GMT is perfectly fine for a long haul holiday with a couple of changes of time zone when abroad. That will satisfy 99% of people, including me.
These users thanked the author nowttolose for the post (total 2):
nbgIlliera
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

My personal experience is that it comes down to looks and and feel for me. The complications, COSC, power reserve, day/date etc. don't make any real difference to me because of the way I use watches.

I have a C65 GMT, and can't recall the last time I set the GMT hand, but I like the look of the extra hand.
I have a Sinn 104 and never look at the day/date complication for it's true purpose, (I use my phone if I need to see what day or date it is) but I like the look and feel of the watch and enjoy the exhibition casebook. If anything it is just more of a pain having to set both the day and date.
I rotate my watches often enough that I typically have to reset them most of the time when I put them on, so power reserve is not an issue, although I do like that sometimes can grab my Hamilton Khaki Field after a couple of days and throw it on without having to set it.
Likewise, Because I regularly have to reset my watches, COSC is not a big deal for me.

My main criteria for buying a new watch is how it looks and how it makes me feel when I wear it. If it is within a minute of the exact time at a quick glance I am happy.

My advice to you would be to purchase the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post:
Illiera
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

nowttolose wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:51 pm
TigerChris wrote:The ‘office GMT’ function really isn’t that practical when travelling anyway.
As most know CW does not sell a true GMT, given the supply of ETA/Sellita movements.

Predominately it’s only Rolex-Tudor, Omega and Seiko you can buy a watch with this type of true GMT movement.

But, we are not Pan Am pilots, and not changing time zone every few hours.

An office GMT is perfectly fine for a long haul holiday with a couple of changes of time zone when abroad. That will satisfy 99% of people, including me.
It’s fine for me too but, the OP actually pointed out that he travels a fair bit and a GMT set to home time would be useful - this movement doesn’t provide that functionality very easily as when you alter ‘local time’ the GMT hand moves with it, as you know. Hence why I pointed it out.
These users thanked the author TigerChris for the post:
Illiera
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I've bought several day/date watches. Never kept any of them, the day/date thing is such a faff.
These users thanked the author Paul Drawmer for the post:
Illiera
There's always time for one more.
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Illiera »

Thank you to everyone who shared their view, they gave me so much food for thought. However, thanks to missF I did the coin toss trick and finally made my choice. It came up heads, it was the Elite, I felt a pang of regret, I’ve bought the GMT! In the end I think it came down to the balance of black/white on the GMT which sat better to my eye than the Elite (and if I don’t like it in person I can always get the Elite on pre-order in the Black Friday sale, thanks to those who suggested that!)
These users thanked the author Illiera for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesBahnstormer_vRS
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

Bit late to this but why not simply order both, see which one you bond with and return the one that loses under 60/60?
These users thanked the author CBMVic20 for the post:
Illiera
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(