C63 Scratched Lug

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
KevinB
Senior
Senior

C63 Scratched Lug

Post by KevinB »

Hi All, Since getting my C63 GMT in May I've worn it nearly all of the time. The black dial's glossiness with the applied indices still makes me happy. I know watches that get worn get scratches and dings. It is part of life, but I got a scratch on the top of the brushed lug. I've heard people say that you can use a Scotch brite pad, but has anyone done that on the C63 case or another light catcher case? Does it work? The scratch is catching the light more than I'd really like it to. I don't want to make it worse, but if a gentle few pulls of a scotch brite pad with the grain will get it back to "new"-ish I'd love it. See the pic. It isn't deep at all.
c63lug.jpg
And heaven knows what I did between the 16 and 18, but that's probably left well enough alone?

Thanks all!!! Kevin
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: C63 Scratched Lug

Post by exHowfener »

If that was my watch, I'd leave off the Scotchbrite, unless you get the right grade then the lug will look different to the others. In time, the 'newness' pf the scratch will lessen and you will get used to it. I scratched my C60 with a pruning saw (and my wrist). It was very noticeable at first, now I hardly see it.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

Thanks, exHowfener! That makes good sense. Glad your C60 accident was just a scratch!
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@KevinB

I know the feeling Kevin. It's terrible isn't it, especially with a recent purchase.

I bought a s/h as new Burberry watch. The first day I wore it, my seat belt clanged against the watch.
Later on that day me wife noticed a ding on the bezel. I am pretty sure it wasn't there when I got it, and it must have been caused by the seat belt, but I can't be 100% sure. I am so disappointed every time I see the ding, although the ding is wearing better over time. I would love to have it fixed.

It's the little ding at 6 on the edge of the bezel.
burberryFC(2).jpg
BurberryCW(2).jpg
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

^^^^ ouch. I would find that annoying and would have it repaired.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Yes, I just wondered whether watches with angular bezel finishes like the AP Royal Oak, the Maurice Lacroix Aikon, and even the PP Aquanaut were more susceptible to dings.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/scrat ... ode=B35083

Get yourself a set of these (or similar) and use gently, you'll most likely get the best result with the steel brush but you can try (patiently) the fibreglass one first if the scratch is superficial. They work pretty well at blending scratches into a brushed finish.

good luck
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

JAFO wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:17 pm @KevinB

I know the feeling Kevin. It's terrible isn't it, especially with a recent purchase.

I bought a s/h as new Burberry watch. The first day I wore it, my seat belt clanged against the watch.
Later on that day me wife noticed a ding on the bezel...
That hurts! I am really sorry that happened so quickly and during the phase we just look at our wrist all the time to see our new watch! Ugh ugh ugh! Hopefully that can be made better for you!
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:08 pm https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/scrat ... ode=B35083

Get yourself a set of these (or similar) and use gently, you'll most likely get the best result with the steel brush but you can try (patiently) the fibreglass one first if the scratch is superficial. They work pretty well at blending scratches into a brushed finish.

good luck
I'll look into that. I'd practice on something else to get a feel for it. Thank you!!
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

You might get this scratch out, but what about the next one, or the one after that?

I try to avoid them, but it’s inevitable. After the initial anguish over the first ding or scratch, I feel relieved and less worried about babying it. I try to change my mindset and look at the marks as a scar won in battle with pride, or something.

Good luck!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:32 am You might get this scratch out, but what about the next one, or the one after that?

I try to avoid them, but it’s inevitable. After the initial anguish over the first ding or scratch, I feel relieved and less worried about babying it. I try to change my mindset and look at the marks as a scar won in battle with pride, or something.

Good luck!
Exactly my view for a watch that's a daily wearer. I take a slightly longer view of it. When I die and my watch gets passed on to my kids, I want them to be able to look at it and know their dad loved this watch! I want it to remind them of the life I lived.

The being said, the first ding/scratch always sucks, especially when the watch is still new!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
ajax87KevinB
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:38 am Exactly my view for a watch that's a daily wearer. I take a slightly longer view of it. When I die and my watch gets passed on to my kids, I want them to be able to look at it and know their dad loved this watch! I want it to remind them of the life I lived.
Alternatively, when you die, a beat up watch will only be worth what you told your wife you paid for it in the first place.....
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 am Alternatively, when you die, a beat up watch will only be worth what you told your wife you paid for it in the first place.....
She paid for it in the first place, so no worries there. :lol:
Drew