Gripper
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Watches that have haunted you?

Post by Gripper »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:10 pm
Gripper wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:57 pm
H.S. Johnson currently have this on the bracelet reduced to £899 with a further 5% off using code 5POP5 bringing it down to £854.05 :thumbup:

Great looking watch!
Thanks, Mark - I had already seen that but appreciate the heads up - very good of you.

I'm sleeping on it.
Just seen they also do 11% Senior Discount for over 55's, probably doesn't apply to sale items, but at 57 suddenly makes me feel very old! :(
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The speedmaster was the real itch.

Like @viognier, I would have loved the same zenith el primero, but not quite as much as the speedy. I always wondered a bit if the movement itself hadn't quite kept up with the last 60 years. Now all of a sudden there's a great new chronomaster on the block, but I am not quite sure the design itself really improves on the original.
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

Rolex Skydweller for me, blue dial steel case/bracelet. I had one in front of me with my credit card out in BVI four years ago for £10300. I choked then got home and decided to get one from an UK AD, only to be told there’s a four year waiting list and the cheapest I can now find one is £19k…🙈
PHIL
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

The 2 x Snoopy Speedmasters and the Speedy Tuesday for me.

I was on the edge of buying each of these when they were at manageable prices 3 - 5 years ago but in my head couldn't justify the purchases as I knew they were not just for investment to be sold later.

Look at the prices now ! Lottery winners only need apply. Way beyond me but I'd still love to own them.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I really regret not buying the olive dial OP34 114200 I had the opportunity to about 3 or so years ago for a 'measly' £3200.
Would have been no problem had I quickly sold what I had back then. Same watch is currently selling for more than the RRP of the current OP range. :(

And like AVO, I'm starting to regret selling my Tangente, although at the moment, I'm trying to figure out whether it's the watch, or just the fact I haven't got anything light and comfortable with a lovely display back. :?
Ryan
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

I have many Rolex regrets but most are actually financial as I’d likely have sold them at some point so they don’t haunt me. The way watches have gone up we’ve all likely experienced that, some I can laugh at:

I remember when I’d first gone to buy a 70s GMT Pepsi about 18-20 years ago and talking him down from £1200 to £1000, before suddenly deciding a datejust would be more versatile and declining to buy the Pepsi. Doh!?

Got offered a Batman two weeks before they were discontinued too and then had to sell my 39mm Explorer without wearing it- both of those were due to ‘grown up conversations’ with my missus. I still have have some resentment there… but only around the Explorer as I’d planned for that to be the one watch that I’d never sell and would keep and wear every day. They got discontinued a month later and to top it all off I got a snotty letter from the AD telling me I was barred as they knew I’d sold it! (I gave it to someone I know for rrp, the whole experience haunts me!)

Writing this has actually out me in a bad mood. 😖😄
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Fat-Sam wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:37 pm

They got discontinued a month later and to top it all off I got a snotty letter from the AD telling me I was barred as they knew I’d sold it! (I gave it to someone I know for rrp, the whole experience haunts me!)
WOT?! So crass, no need to ever darken their door again.......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

My only regret is still the same (2nd post in this thread).

If buying multiple of the same is one symptom of being haunted then I’d guess it’s the Hamilton Khaki Field. I’m now on my third…
Tim
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru

Post by Fat-Sam »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:03 pm
Fat-Sam wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:37 pm

They got discontinued a month later and to top it all off I got a snotty letter from the AD telling me I was barred as they knew I’d sold it! (I gave it to someone I know for rrp, the whole experience haunts me!)
WOT?! So crass, no need to ever darken their door again.......
I hate Wempe as a result- even if she’d phoned and asked me (like they did when they wanted the sale), then I could have explained but the email was so snidey in tone too. When I got my Reverso 6 months later, I walked past with the bag and resisted the urge do some kind of Pretty Woman scene reenactment 😂😂 (if it had been a solid gold Lange or something more expensive I might have done haha).
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

snipped
Viognier wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:11 pm Under the should not have left category:

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.06.00 AM.png
Looked at one just last week..... :oops:
Viognier wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:11 pm ...and I continue to come back to this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.08.35 AM.png

All pictures are not mine and borrowed from the internet.
And without ever having tried one on the wrist I look at that with considerable admiration.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

I try not to have too many regrets in life but.....this one pops up in my head now and again. Sold a few years ago to a forum member

Short term sellers remorse...this only went a couple of weeks ago :(
But it’s replacement could not be turned down :lol: :D

As for regrets not buying, anyone reading some of my posts will know 14060M ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

This one for sure. I had it on my wrist at my local AD, but due to another VERY recent purchase, walked away. Retail price $6450 in early 2020. Had I known they would drop the size from 39 to 36mm I probably would have pulled the pin. Not to say the drop in size is a deal killer, but with my 8 in (20cm) wrist it was perfectly sized. Obviously a good investment, but this would have been a keeper.
Then I saw a used one, priced as new, but had a few nicks. Perfect! No need to fuss when I add to the imperfections. Hesitated and gone within hours. STUPID-STUPID-STUPID :explode:
20211012_114710.jpg
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Fat-Sam wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:14 pm
I hate Wempe as a result- even if she’d phoned and asked me (like they did when they wanted the sale), then I could have explained but the email was so snidey in tone too. When I got my Reverso 6 months later, I walked past with the bag and resisted the urge do some kind of Pretty Woman scene reenactment 😂😂 (if it had been a solid gold Lange or something more expensive I might have done haha).
I cannot blame you. Spread the word far and wide - no dealer has any business telling its customer what they can or can't do. Arrogance beyond belief.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Watches that have haunted you?

Post by gaf1958 »

Not many watches I’ve regretted not buying, however there are many watches I’ve bought, that I regret not buying when they were first released, when I could’ve bought them for a song.

There have been a number of watches I’ve really regretted selling (circumstances), and some of those have been purchased again, with no plans for them to depart. There’s also couple of Rolexes that I regret selling too early, i.e. before the used price hikes… ;)

However, there is one watch in particular that I really regret selling, as buying another one would cost me 2-3 times what I paid for mine, not all that many years ago. I sold it because it was a little too small for me. IIRC it was 38mm. What an idiot!

Seamaster chronograph with hand wound 861 movement:

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

"Watches that have haunted you?" - none really and certainly there are no Rolex pieces involved. I've never owned one, don't intend to get one, and therefore am not regretting anything.

OK, I've got a few watches which, either the exact piece or the same model, I have owned more than once but the follow up / repeat purchase has never been made on a haunted / regret basis; merely that I fancied owning one again.

Indeed, I have an incoming tomorrow (all being well) on this basis. :wink: :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England