NPD T4 project

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: NPD T4 project

Post by iain »

I may well be swimming against the tide of opinion with this one but I’ll add it to the list anyway.

Fitted rubber straps sound like an excellent suggestion, but I don’t think I’ve found any deployant which is more comfortable than an standard buckle. So yes to the fitted rubber, but preferably without any fancy clasp.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

iain wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:12 pm I may well be swimming against the tide of opinion with this one but I’ll add it to the list anyway.

Fitted rubber straps sound like an excellent suggestion, but I don’t think I’ve found any deployant which is more comfortable than an standard buckle. So yes to the fitted rubber, but preferably without any fancy clasp.
Have you tried the Oris rubber iain with the quick adjust clasp? The best I’ve tried. I must admit though, I’ve come to pretty much the same conclusion with most leather straps - I prefer a simple pin buckle in most cases.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ I think that the normal problem with deployant clasps of most styles is that it tends to be down to pot luck on wrist size, as to whether the blade ends up positioned as you would like it to be on the underside of the wrist.

Bespoke straps overcome this. As do the style of rubber straps that you cut to suit wrist size.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

nbg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:46 pm As do the style of rubber straps that you cut to suit wrist size.
Yeh, and if I'm thinking correctly, it could be a strap that comes with multiple 'trimming' holes either side and be fitted to the bracelets ratcheting clasp. CW appear to like re-using parts where possible, so one clasp for all would suit.

I think that would work, wouldn't it? :?
Ryan
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

As many others have suggested I think 300m water resistant is plenty for most people and would allow thinner cases and the addition of see through casebooks on select versions without too much additional thickness. 600m models could be introduced on occasion in their "Elite" range for those that want the ultimate dive watch for their bathtub. Also, the fitted end rubber strap would be great similar to Everest straps.

Date at 6 ala C60 Athropocene and twin flags only at 12 would be a nice change for future models. Now that Chris Ward has left the company it is the perfect time to lose the CW text on the dial and use just a logo for a cleaner look.

As far as fantasy wishes for other CW models a vintage pilot watch with hesalite crystal similar to Sinn 103 for less money than Sinn. Make that a true panda dial and I would be drooling over my oatmeal.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:24 pm
nbg wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:46 pm As do the style of rubber straps that you cut to suit wrist size.
Yeh, and if I'm thinking correctly, it could be a strap that comes with multiple 'trimming' holes either side and be fitted to the bracelets ratcheting clasp. CW appear to like re-using parts where possible, so one clasp for all would suit.

This is a close up of the Oris Aquis rubber strap slider mechanism (excuse the DNA, it's been worn a lot).

The 'buckle' end of the strap is held into the deployant slider via two spring bars (red arrows). That end of the strap is also marked in segments that can be cut to length to position the clasp as required. Cutting off a segment is analogous to removing approximately a half link from a bracelet. This system works very well and is probably the most comfortable strap I've got on any watch.

The Trident bracelet has a similar slider end piece that connects the divers extension ratchet to the bracelet. This is attached via a spring bar so in principal a new slider to attach to the end of a rubber strap could be designed so that the existing deployant could be reused for a rubber strap.

However, the existing deployant is pretty slim which might make it impractical as the rubber strap would have to be no thicker than the existing bracelet; and this doesn't take into account what to do with the other end of the rubber strap (the end with buckle holes in it) which also has to attach to the deployant with the tail lying under it when closed!

All-in-all a daunting design task and probably best avoided by designing as new deployant!
Tim
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

1. Remove wordmark
2. simple, classical dials, including matte. There's been enough flaffing about with dials recently.
3. New handset. Something more organic than anything too austere. Perhaps an updated and evolved Mark 2 hand set.
4. Do something to the markers. They have survived through 3 generations and are due a shake up, perhaps add numbers at 6, 9,12 or 6
and 12. Consider shorter and wider, longer and narrower or a teardrop shape. Anything, just a change.
5. 200/300 depth rating is more than enough, make an LE of anything bigger.
'Tis me
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:24 pm

Yep, that’s what I have in mind. :thumbup:

The rubber on my Oris could be trimmed in that way. Just need to ensure that you size correctly when you trim (there have been times over the years when the correlation between weight and wrist size meant i had cut off one segment too many :lol:). Works better with an adjustable clasp, like the existing CW one.

Another thought about the bracelet itself - a switch from male to female end links, would make each size of watch more wearable.

Neil
TZ-UK
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

timor54 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm However, the existing deployant is pretty slim which might make it impractical as the rubber strap would have to be no thicker than the existing bracelet; and this doesn't take into account what to do with the other end of the rubber strap (the end with buckle holes in it) which also has to attach to the deployant with the tail lying under it when closed!
No need for a tail - just requires segments that can be cut to remove from both the 6 and 12 sides.

Neil
TZ-UK
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

I'm easy to please.
Most of my C60s are COSC or GMT -complicated. Omega tick both boxes with one watch. So should CW.
Case-wise I'm sold on the light-catcher.
Hands-wise most of my C60s have the mk1 turnip hands (if that's what they're called). Let's see 9 turnips and 3 of the stick and stabber kind. I need more sticks and stabbers clearly.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

There’s a lot of support for the twin flags logo at 12. I’d agree with that. I would echo some in saying I think the name on smaller font in a single line below the logo would look great. And make the logo applied/thick/lumed!

ALSO: More color options. Dial texture. I’d agree I like matte bezels better too. The inner SS bezel ring on the new C60 #tide looks GREAT, it would be cool if that were a standard in the C60 line.

I’m personally a big fan of the current hands and markers.

And of course the light catcher case is brilliant.

Thinner would be nice, and if it needs to be 300m to do so that is just fine.

Here are a couple photos stolen from the CWE 2.0 LE thread here that outlines some of these suggestions. Maybe photoshoppers could add the name below it in single line?

E3EA8FCE-30DE-4154-9DCA-F5E8B5BE5594.jpeg

E2CBAA24-1AE3-4434-9A52-6E4BB53C6CE9.jpeg
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Where is a Nordwolf design when you need one? He had some great ideas.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Following along on the case comments I have seen so far....

There seems to be a strong feeling about making the case thinner with a hope of getting it to 12mm potentially. This even if it reduces the ATM to 30 and/or if it would retain more or less the current price point.

Since moving to a 60 ATM rating I have always though this was a marketing advantage for CW. While certainly 30 ATM is more than sufficient for most of us (the original Trident was 30 ATM), I think the suggestions of 2 grades is intriguing.

Perhaps a dual line release.....The everyday T4 Pro 300 and the T4 Trident Pro 600. This might limit size options and color options due to inventory considerations, but the Pro 300 could be in 2 sizes with a thinner case and exhibition case back and the Pro 600 could be only the larger size in only 2/3 colors with a solid case back.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

^^^^ A bit like the Seamaster and Planet Ocean collections then, Kip.

Guy

PS> I think this correlation has already been mentioned. :wink:

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

Kip wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:17 am Following along on the case comments I have seen so far....

There seems to be a strong feeling about making the case thinner with a hope of getting it to 12mm potentially. This even if it reduces the ATM to 30 and/or if it would retain more or less the current price point.

Since moving to a 60 ATM rating I have always though this was a marketing advantage for CW. While certainly 30 ATM is more than sufficient for most of us (the original Trident was 30 ATM), I think the suggestions of 2 grades is intriguing.

Perhaps a dual line release.....The everyday T4 Pro 300 and the T4 Trident Pro 600. This might limit size options and color options due to inventory considerations, but the Pro 300 could be in 2 sizes with a thinner case and exhibition case back and the Pro 600 could be only the larger size in only 2/3 colors with a solid case back.
They could certainly make the C60 GMT with WR 30 ATM. With a thinner crystal, thinner bezel and thinner case back. The GMT is not a diver's watch per se, there's no point in having 60 ATM of WR.