How Many Links To Remove?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nowttolose
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

How Many Links To Remove?

Post by nowttolose »

Just picked up a Trident Pro 600 Diver and GMT in the sale.

For anyone who had done this before, approximately how many links should I remove from each side of a full size bracelet if my wrist size is 16.5cm or 6.5”?

I know any answer may not be wholly accurate, but it will give me a good first start point.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

C65 Super Compressor Black Sand
C60 Trident Pro 600 Mk3 38mm Black/Red
C60 Trident Pro 600 GMT Mk3 40mm Black
C65 Dartmouth Blue
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: How Many Links To Remove?

Post by Soporsche »

I find easiest way is to place a piece of string or soft tape (measure) around your wrist at position you woukd wear your watch and mark the distance. Then place this next to the bracelet with watchhead attached to give a comparison (with clasp closed).
Other people with more experience may disagree but I generally want to have any micro adjustment on the clasp set to the mid point in order that you can decrease or increase size slightly depending on heat/if your wrist swells/contracts.
The reason I do this is its also easier to judge where on the wrist the clasp sits, ie on some watches I've removed 1 link each side of the clasp but on others 2 links from one side as otherwise the clasp would have sat closer to the head on one side and not been mid underside of wrist.
I'm unsure if that makes sense or is over complicating a simple question 🙄.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
JeremyS
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by JeremyS »

I’m not sure which model you’re talking about—the size of the watch case will affect the number of links you might want to remove. In other words, you’re going to remove fewer links in a 38mm Trident then you will in a 42mm Trident because of the case length.

I can tell you in a 40mm C60 Sapphire (same case and bracelet as a Trident), I removed two full links and one half link for a 7” wrist. For you, that might be around three full links. You might add or subtract a half link to that depending on whether you have a 38mm or 42mm case, respectively.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Soporsche wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:42 pm The reason I do this is its also easier to judge where on the wrist the clasp sits, ie on some watches I've removed 1 link each side of the clasp but on others 2 links from one side as otherwise the clasp would have sat closer to the head on one side and not been mid underside of wrist.
This is critical! Adjusting the length of the bracelet is just one part of the equation, the other part being proper placement if the clasp under the wrist. And unfortunately this comes down to trial and error. With my wrist, the clasp sits better when one end of the bracelet is shorter than the other. I did a lot of removing and shifting t of links to find the best fit.

And +1 for trying to size the bracelet with the micro adjuster in the middle. It’s not always possible, but can be worth the effort if it is.
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I just throw the full bracelet on my wrist and grab the excess and pinch it together, and remove that many links. Has always worked well for me with minimal fuss. Switching a link to the other side to center the clasp can help get the perfect fit just as others above have mentioned!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:12 pm I just throw the full bracelet on my wrist and grab the excess and pinch it together, and remove that many links. Has always worked well for me with minimal fuss. Switching a link to the other side to center the clasp can help get the perfect fit just as others above have mentioned!
Now that’s the best advice I’ve ever heard for sizing a bracelet. No fuss and to the point!
Drew
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

I have recently adjusted my new bracelet for my C60 GMT 42mm, I have a 6.75" wrist & I removed 4 links in total, 2 from each side, but the extension is fully extracted.
I contacted CW about half links last week & they sent me 2 which have arrived today, so I hope to fit one later to centralise the extension. :D
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Bounce wrote:I have recently adjusted my new bracelet for my C60 GMT 42mm, I have a 6.75" wrist & I removed 4 links in total, 2 from each side, but the extension is fully extracted.
I contacted CW about half links last week & they sent me 2 which have arrived today, so I hope to fit one later to centralise the extension. :D
Thanks all, but if the bracelet lengths start off the same when the leave CW Towers, then based on the above it looks like a full 4 links is a good start for my 6.5” wrist.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Bounce »

nowttolose wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:01 pm
Bounce wrote:I have recently adjusted my new bracelet for my C60 GMT 42mm, I have a 6.75" wrist & I removed 4 links in total, 2 from each side, but the extension is fully extracted.
Thanks all, but if the bracelet lengths start off the same when the leave CW Towers, then based on the above it looks like a full 4 links is a good start for my 6.5” wrist.
I think you have to start somewhere. :thumbup:
I have added 1 half link & it has now centralised the clasp & I now have movement both ways on the extension.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

Thought I would feedback in case it helps anyone else in the future who does a search. I took 4 full links out (2 either side) of the bracelet, and the Trident Pro 600 watch fits my 6.5"/16.5cm, with the micro adjust perfectly centered.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

nowttolose wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:22 pm Thought I would feedback in case it helps anyone else in the future who does a search. I took 4 full links out (2 either side) of the bracelet, and the Trident Pro 600 watch fits my 6.5"/16.5cm, with the micro adjust perfectly centered.
Thanks for the update, good to have the reference. Is yours 38, 40 or 42mm?
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
nowttolose
Senior
Senior

Post by nowttolose »

ajax87 wrote:
nowttolose wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:22 pm Thought I would feedback in case it helps anyone else in the future who does a search. I took 4 full links out (2 either side) of the bracelet, and the Trident Pro 600 watch fits my 6.5"/16.5cm, with the micro adjust perfectly centered.
That is for the 38mm, but presume the bracelet it is exactly the same (and hence link removal is the same) for 40 and 42mm, with the exception of the head connector.
Dave

C65 Dartmouth Blue
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

nowttolose wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:44 pm
ajax87 wrote:
That is for the 38mm, but presume the bracelet it is exactly the same (and hence link removal is the same) for 40 and 42mm, with the exception of the head connector.
Case length and lug to lug length play a part as well. My 41mm super compressor bracelet is sized differently than my 38mm C60. The 42mm C60 is 4.3mm longer at the lugs than the 38mm, so theoretically you’d need to remove another full link and replace it with a half link to get the same fit (the half links are roughly 3-4mm shorter than the full links).
Alex