Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Bronze Twins - Should I Keep Both ?

Post by JasperCat »

CW257 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:29 pm Hard to say as I don’t know your collection size, preferences, financial situation, etc. but my own preference is to have as much diversity in my collection as possible. For me, those two are both so similar (and stunning, by the way) that I’d happily forego one and then replace it with something totally different.

That’s just me, though. What a nice dilemma to have!
Collection is in my signature... 15 CW watches currently, all acquired within the last year. I do have quite a lot of C65s, but there is good variety in there now too amongst other models. No reason to sell quickly, just musing at the moment, having been wearing them through the day.

Both are lovely watches, and as you say it's a nice dilemma to have :lol:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:34 pm Im gona agree with 2 posts above.

Id certainly keep both if you dont need to move any on. We all love our various watches, in different ways, and for different reasons. I certainly dont love all mine equally!
One will no doubt "win" but the other is too nice to ever loose, so its win win in my eyes!

In addition, I very much prefer the clean look of a no date. My watches are for time, not really date. But I appreciate others want/need a date feature.

Just my 2 penneth..!
Good points, thank you and yes, I think I will most likely look "beyond the similarities" and view each one for their merits :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm JasperCat, there's a reason why God made more than 1 watch box...think about it.. :problem:
You've also discovered the other reason why this question came up today... I have run out of watch box and/or winder spaces with the recent acquisitions... so perhaps the easy answer is just to buy another watch box :lol:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:37 pm JasperCat, there's a reason why God made more than 1 watch box...think about it.. :problem:
You've also discovered the other reason why this question came up today... I have run out of watch box and/or winder spaces with the recent acquisitions... so perhaps the easy answer is just to buy another watch box :lol:
Yeppers!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Dickchins »

JasperCat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:42 pm

Theres an absolute belter in the sales corner.... :D
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Dickchins wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm
Theres an absolute belter in the sales corner.... :D
:thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Very, very similar in appearance, so I'd keep the SH21 model. I like the small seconds as well as the IH movement. I think the dial is more balanced with the date window, too. As for the winding, I'd find out how many winds it took to power up from empty to five day then I'd divide that number by five. Personally I'd be very happy with a 72hr power reserve, so would probably only keep the watch 3/5ths wound. Every so often you could give it the full winding when your fingers feel up to it.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

As a few of the guys have said, they look too similar to me to keep both, I'd definitely go for the SH21 for the IHM, 5 day PR, small seconds and date window. Yes the winding does take a while, I have an 8 day PR HW watch and it takes 100+ winds but then that's it going for a week.

The other reason for me to only keep the SH21 would be something that is in my current thinking, in that it is a bit of a waste having all these watches sitting only being worn every 3 or 4 weeks hence I'm in the process of letting a few go.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

If it were me I’d keep only the one (SH21). Each watch in my collection has something that I see as unique. There’s significant overlap between these two and I would only want to keep one.
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

strapline wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:07 pm Very, very similar in appearance, so I'd keep the SH21 model. I like the small seconds as well as the IH movement. I think the dial is more balanced with the date window, too. As for the winding, I'd find out how many winds it took to power up from empty to five day then I'd divide that number by five. Personally I'd be very happy with a 72hr power reserve, so would probably only keep the watch 3/5ths wound. Every so often you could give it the full winding when your fingers feel up to it.

Des
That's a very valid point, it's only quicker and easier to power the prototype because it has a 38hr (ish) power reserve, nowhere near the 120hrs of the SH21. I've found with my C8 PR that I keep it wound every few days (even when not wearing it), simply because I can glance at it's power reserve complication and wind whenever I remember. I very much doubt I'll be letting this one run down completely and then winding it all the way to full power.

I agree, I'm finding the small seconds (replacing the six), date window and removal of those sub seconds markers, to be slightly more clean and balanced too :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:24 pm As a few of the guys have said, they look too similar to me to keep both, I'd definitely go for the SH21 for the IHM, 5 day PR, small seconds and date window. Yes the winding does take a while, I have an 8 day PR HW watch and it takes 100+ winds but then that's it going for a week.

The other reason for me to only keep the SH21 would be something that is in my current thinking, in that it is a bit of a waste having all these watches sitting only being worn every 3 or 4 weeks hence I'm in the process of letting a few go.
Seems to be a fairly popular view as to which is the one to keep (if I was only keeping one). I'm also with you there, I'm starting to feel a little guilty about having all these watches in the watch box, wearing some one or two times a week, and others only every few weeks (or in some cases once a month or so) :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 pm If it were me I’d keep only the one (SH21). Each watch in my collection has something that I see as unique. There’s significant overlap between these two and I would only want to keep one.
Again, that does seem to be the case here (pardon the pun)... there is a lot over overlap between these two and I don't want one to become neglected.

To a certain extent, I got the C65 prototype because I wanted the C65 in bronze with blue face, thinking that finding a C65 SH21 bronze would be difficult (or at least very expensive). Being lucky to grab this one in the clearance, means I now have the one I always wanted :problem:

On the other hand... the other is a prototype and so completely unique. There is something magical about a prototype. There is no financial advantage as these are not to become super expensive over time, but it will still always be "one of a kind" :D
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Thanks for all the replies everyone... in some ways this seems like an overindulgent thread, but it's genuinely become a question I've been asking myself today and these messages have been very helpful for that :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

welshlad wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm If you don't need to let one go yet, my advice would be to keep both until a clear winner/loser emerges in your own mind, and then sell the "loser" as it were. If a clear winner never emerges, then keep them both ad infinitum if you get pleasure from both of them. :thumbup:
That's about as much as I was going to suggest; albeit I was thinking there are enough differences between to two to justify keeping both. End of. :wink: :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 am
That's about as much as I was going to suggest; albeit I was thinking there are enough differences between to two to justify keeping both. End of. :wink: :wink:

Guy
Sound advice from all :thumbup:

Would this confuse things… how about throwing the C65 Black Gold into the mix :lol:

A73939F5-12D6-4174-907F-3452D91E88FE.jpeg
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King