Exclusive CW Forum Prototype Sale

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Exclusive CW Forum Prototype Sale

Post by TheBeatles »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:05 pm So, how many members will need to sell off something in their current collections to afford what they purchased today? ;)
Also, how many of those rushing to 25 posts will now disappear until the next opportunity!!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

reubicon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:44 pm Well I didn’t know what I was looking for until I found it... :D

I’m joining Lotus Cars next month but it’s always bothered me how the C65 Black Gold uses rose gold, so is rather different from the JPS Lotus it is inspired by!

And I was thinking the other day how I’d seen a prototype in the last sale with a yellow gold case and how I might seek out the person who bought it.

Well, if the CW Gods are with me, I might have just found it in this special sale! Sincerest thanks to Kip, other Admins, Mods and CW!

I’m only a Junior here, so apologies if anyone else desperately tried to buy it. :eek:
I think this one actually should have been the JPS watch, so congratulations for getting it :clap:

I have the version with the blue face and it's a stunning watch... not sure if I will have duplication now though, as I've got a C65 SH21 bronze arriving tomorrow, but I'm sure they'll get along nicely :lol:

BTW Your mention of JPS takes me back... I did a holding posting at RAF Coltishall with 54 Squadron (Jaguar) back in 1988, and we were lucky to get a tour of the Lotus F1 team facilities at Hethel, due to us previously hosting Nelson Piquet on the squadron and treating him to a trip in the Jaguar T2 trainer. It was a really cool day out, especially as I was only 22 at the time :lol: I think the highlight was being shown what was effectively just an old barn (I think) where F1 JPS cars from the late 60s and 70s were just stored amongst bales of hay :shock: That was a pretty amazing day :D

Good luck with the new job :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:05 pm So, how many members will need to sell off something in their current collections to afford what they purchased today? ;)
When factoring in the potential sell off of watches to clear funds for new purchase from the sale, it begs the question how many forum members will wind up with something new in their collection because of this sale and the ripple effect?
Drew
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Only CW I’m currently interested in, is the C60 Chronograph in black. But Summer Special just out of my reach.

There is one in Sales Corner, but location is off putting.

I need the Black one to keep my Blue Beast company.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

From what I could see and as a disclaimer I only looked at a couple, quite a few seemed to be of the no serial number or 000 pre-production type - personally I wouldn't pay anything extra for these.

My view is prototypes are worth consideration if the watch is a genuine one off with different colours / design etc. Potentially someone may have paid full rrp for something today with 000 on the back, or paid half price for the same 'standard' watch a few weeks ago.

I've owned 3 prototypes in the past, 2 were original designs and 1 was a 000, which was sold at a discount 2 or 3 years ago.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Dickchins
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dickchins »

Me...!!!!
I was looking to raise funds anyways, and as I bought a couple off here, ill float them here again.

In fact, 1 is a prototype #000 :lol:
Kenken
CW-watches: 5

Post by Kenken »

Nice selection of watches but unfortunately nothing for me. Thanks to Kip and the forum for making this possible, really appreciated!
Illiera
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Illiera »

Dickchins wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Me...!!!!
I was looking to raise funds anyways, and as I bought a couple off here, ill float them here again.

In fact, 1 is a prototype #000 :lol:
I'm sure someone on the forum will help you with that :lol:
C60 Trident Pro GMT 600
C900 Single Pusher
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm Also, how many of those rushing to 25 posts will now disappear until the next opportunity!!
It’s a risk we considered, Brian. We do actually want people to use the forum, which is why we keep on trying to arrange competitions and incentives like this one.

The problem is, if you set the tariff too high, those who can’t possibly reach the tariff won’t bother.

Personally I favoured 20,000 posts, but the others talked me out of it. :wink:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:39 pm Personally I favoured 20,000 posts, but the others talked me out of it. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:57 pm Sorry, I should have been clearer. It was on the UK site as a model, but you had to have the link to get directly to it - or you had to search specifically for it. It wasn't listed in the Dress section or the New Releases section, so you couldn't find it by browsing. From what Malcolm stated, on the US site it was listed in the Dress watch section, so could be found by general browsing.
Not that it makes any difference to me, but it was also listed under the dress category on the UK site as well. That's how I navigated to it.
Ryan
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:02 pm Not that it makes any difference to me, but it was also listed under the dress category on the UK site as well. That's how I navigated to it.
I'm confused then. It definitely wasn't listed under Dress when I looked when it was initially added and it still wasn't there when I checked again later. But, it sounds like it was there at some point in between. :ka: All in all, that bit didn't go quite right, even though the initial sales batch was fine. There's always something that gets through the cracks! :roll:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 pm
StrappedUp wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:02 pm Not that it makes any difference to me, but it was also listed under the dress category on the UK site as well. That's how I navigated to it.
I'm confused then. It definitely wasn't listed under Dress when I looked when it was initially added and it still wasn't there when I checked again later. But, it sounds like it was there at some point in between. :ka: All in all, that bit didn't go quite right, even though the initial sales batch was fine. There's always something that gets through the cracks! :roll:
It was the last in the list in the dress watch category when I looked. Doesn’t matter a monkeys really though, mistakes happen, just one of those things. I just wish that model had made it into production as I would definitely have been interested - I think it looks stunning.
Will_75
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Will_75 »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm
Also, how many of those rushing to 25 posts will now disappear until the next opportunity!!
I’m afraid I’m here to stay

I’ve only lurked in the past, as I find the forum format a little unwieldy. It feels very old school and takes me back to the days of spending way too much time on the Stoke City fans’ forum back in the late 90s. 🤦🏻‍♂️

A big thank you to the admins for allowing me to access the sale - I got what I wanted, a watch I missed out on during the last sale (got it in my bag but couldn’t check out) and which has given me sleepless nights since.

I actually dreamed about the sale last night 😬😬

This watch will be treasured along with my CWE LE and the new CWE Chronometer LE when it lands. I may have an outgoing or two to balance the books but I won’t be selling this lovely and unique example.

I hope I haven’t put too many long standing members’ noses out of joint in the process.
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Will_75 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:08 pm
I’m afraid I’m here to stay

I hope I haven’t put too many long standing members’ noses out of joint in the process.
Not at all, good to have you around.