Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: Exclusive CW Forum Prototype Sale

Post by mvlow »

welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:02 pm
mvlow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 pm Not really cool of CW to post this for sale to the public at the same time there was an exclusive forum sale. Only three units produced. This would have been an obvious addition to the private sale. While the forum members are distracted fighting over what is left in the private sale, the general public gets to snag would might possibly be the best looking prototype in a long time. It would be interesting to see if any forum members managed to get one of these.
Just to be clear, it was listed as part of the Prototype Sale, as a late addition. Unfortunately, the password protection was then omitted from it in error, which meant it could be found publicly if you searched specifically for it on the CW site. But it isn't publicly available/promoted on the CW site and is listed only as part of the Forum Exclusive Prototype Sale.
Thats not entirely true. I went to the U.S. CW page, clicked on the dress watch link and scrolled to the last watch and there it was. I didn't have to search for it. I'm guessing any member of the public could have done the same thing. It is still there now, but the add to bag button is greyed out. If it was a mistake by CW that is not so bad as mistakes can be made even with the best made plans. If it was listed publicly on purpose that is a different story IMHO.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm Congrats JCat!
Thank you... I was looking at the Morgan C1 earlier this week, but I don't have a Morgan, so prefer the clarity of this one :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

mvlow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:49 pm
nordwulf wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm This C1 Powerglow was just added and appears to be a public link:

Not really cool of CW to post this for sale to the public at the same time there was an exclusive forum sale. Only three units produced. This would have been an obvious addition to the private sale. While the forum members are distracted fighting over what is left in the private sale, the general public gets to snag would might possibly be the best looking prototype in a long time. It would be interesting to see if any forum members managed to get one of these.
That was priced at £2500 in the UK. VAT makes a difference, although you would get some sales tax in USA
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

mvlow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm Thats not entirely true. I went to the U.S. CW page, clicked on the dress watch link and scrolled to the last watch and there it was. I didn't have to search for it. I'm guessing any member of the public could have done the same thing. It is still there now, but the add to bag button is greyed out. If it was a mistake by CW that is not so bad as mistakes can be made even with the best made plans. If it was listed publicly on purpose that is a different story IMHO.
Thanks for that, Malcolm. I did look at the UK site and it wasn't listed there, but didn't check the US site.

I guess the point is that it was a mistake rather than a deliberate decision, as it was explicitly listed in the Prototype Sale list. And, in the end, it's perhaps a moot point because the 3 pieces were all bought very swiftly. It's likely they were bought by forum members, unless the link to this model was shared elsewhere contrary to Kip's instructions and someone else jumped in very quickly.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Not meaning to stir the pot, but it was listed on the UK site as well. I headed over to take a look after the screenshots of it were posted on here.
Ryan
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Well behind the curve here buy pm sent anyway. Fingers crossed
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

It’s a moot point, isn’t it? What’s done is done. And anyway, what are the odds that there just happen to be some random potential customer on the CW website at 1) that particular moment who 2) just happens to come across the listing, and 3) is in the market to buy a rather expensive prototype?

Odds are, it was forum members who scooped up the prototypes. It was forum members who discovered it as a public listing, after all.
Drew
Will_75
Senior
Senior

Post by Will_75 »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:45 pm ^^^^ If it is, the C1 Apex, it means I'll have a triple Apex collection.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
WOW! Congrats Guy. That's one hell of a watch.
CWE admin and all round watch nerd. Usually found irresponsibly browsing the sales page.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

welshlad wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm
mvlow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm Thats not entirely true. I went to the U.S. CW page, clicked on the dress watch link and scrolled to the last watch and there it was. I didn't have to search for it. I'm guessing any member of the public could have done the same thing. It is still there now, but the add to bag button is greyed out. If it was a mistake by CW that is not so bad as mistakes can be made even with the best made plans. If it was listed publicly on purpose that is a different story IMHO.
Thanks for that, Malcolm. I did look at the UK site and it wasn't listed there, but didn't check the US site.

I guess the point is that it was a mistake rather than a deliberate decision, as it was explicitly listed in the Prototype Sale list. And, in the end, it's perhaps a moot point because the 3 pieces were all bought very swiftly. It's likely they were bought by forum members, unless the link to this model was shared elsewhere contrary to Kip's instructions and someone else jumped in very quickly.
I agree. I'm glad it was just a mistake. That's why the make erasers, or as we used to call them when I was a kid, rubbers :D
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ British kids still do.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:25 pm Not meaning to stir the pot, but it was listed on the UK site as well. I headed over to take a look after the screenshots of it were posted on here.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. It was on the UK site as a model, but you had to have the link to get directly to it - or you had to search specifically for it. It wasn't listed in the Dress section or the New Releases section, so you couldn't find it by browsing. From what Malcolm stated, on the US site it was listed in the Dress watch section, so could be found by general browsing.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by JasperCat »

Thunder1 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:37 pm Appreciate the efforts the admins did to get this thang going..for me, the bronze C65 manual wind Trident looked interesting, but was gone before I could do anything..hope some members of this forum got lucky.. :thumbup:
That's the sibling to my bronze C65 Trident hand wind with blue face... whoever got it has a lovely watch :clap:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well, I was out and didn’t get in until long after the link and password had been released. Not to worry, I wasn’t really looking for anything anyway.

I really hope we get to see owners’ wrist shots of these watches in CWL of the Day over the coming days.

Well done to everyone who snagged something special. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

So, how many members will need to sell off something in their current collections to afford what they purchased today? ;)
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

There are four listed pieces remaining: the two Rapides, the blue C60, and the blue C65 GMT. All nice but not what I’m seeking.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair