C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Re: C63 Elite - innovation or gimmick?

Post by Gar787 »

For me it is a little bit gimmicky and I don’t really buy Mike’s cycling scenario/reason. Very few cyclists undertaking a lengthy ride would go out with an expensive, heavy mechanical watch on their wrists in my experience. Nevertheless, it’s a nice adddition to CW’s catalogue and I bought one yesterday after a lovely chat with the excellent Vallen Hardy. I’m looking forward to it rocking up in about two weeks...’due to demand!’
PHIL
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Gar787 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:56 am For me it is a little bit gimmicky and I don’t really buy Mike’s cycling scenario/reason. Very few cyclists undertaking a lengthy ride would go out with an expensive, heavy mechanical watch on their wrists in my experience. Nevertheless, it’s a nice adddition to CW’s catalogue and I bought one yesterday after a lovely chat with the excellent Vallen Hardy. I’m looking forward to it rocking up in about two weeks...’due to demand!’
Great to hear you've pulled the proverbial trigger; it's a fine looking watch, particularly on the bracelet. Having done a bit of rock climbing in my time, I buy in to that application even less than the cycling one. Very few serious climbers wear watches, less still costly mechanical affairs. Still, let us know your thoughts on the watch when it arrives - as a whole of course, but with honourable mention to the crown. Perhaps when you get to experience it it will feel a little less gimmicky. :lol:

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I feel I should add that I really like this watch and I am amazed that the other watches in the series have proved more popular - as we have been led to believe. The retractable crown literally means nothing to me. I hope it hasn't made the watch more expensive! But I also agree with AVO, let's see what the next few months bring with other colour options.

And in response to Mr France, I cycle 4/5 days a week (usually) and have on my wrist a lightweight Seiko quartz chronograph. The only time I know it is there, is when I look at it to see if it is time to be put out of my misery yet.
'Tis me
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

It's been done before so it can't be claimed as an innovation. I'll be honest, I think it looks weird and could easily make it look like a smart watch.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I'm inclined to think of this crown arrangement as a gimmick. A useful gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless. This does potentially solve a customer need (cyclists) but this is a niche need at best. Other sporting activities might benefit from it but that's not going to be the prime driver for purchasing the watch. I'm content to call it a gimmick, fun, occasionally useful but still a gimmick.

If this is an innovation then the original innovation belongs to the crown manufacturer who figured out it was possible and then did the engineering to make it work. The question of how well it works is still open as we haven't received our watches yet to see for ourselves.

Worn and wound have now reviewed a C63 Sealander Elite.

https://wornandwound.com/review/review- ... der-elite/

They raise some interesting questions about the utility and useability of this sort of mechanism. It will be interesting to see what we "real world" purchasers think when we get our watches but I can't help wondering if W&W have identified some interesting issues with this. It's looking more and more like a gimmick if it doesn't work. Just sayin'.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Mmmm...odd review I thought. Drew a number of concerns about the crown, then just the typical meat and gravy review without mentioning any notable standouts for this new model. I got down to the conclusion only for the writer to proclaim that this watch is just shy of being 'exceptional'...not really sure what produced the sudden love affair at the end. He dwelled a lot on the crown; I certainly didn't like seeing it in the out position, it looked like a wall tack, and a little flimsy. Give me a real crown any day, I see problems down the road with this. I hope CW have done their R 'n' D with this innovation/gimmick.

Des
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

^^^^ strapline - I agree it's not the usual W&W review. When I read it I thought the author didn't like the watch only to find in the conclusion that it was "almost exceptional". I was puzzled. W&W have been reliable fans of CW for years so saying you don't like a watch and have questions about its core differentiation must be hard for them. I'm going to wait and see what I think when mine arrives.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

strapline wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:53 pm I certainly didn't like seeing it in the out position, it looked like a wall tack, and a little flimsy. Give me a real crown any day, I see problems down the road with this. I hope CW have done their R 'n' D with this innovation/gimmick.

Des
From the review:

“On the positive side, the extended crown is robust, not wobbling around or feeling delicate”

To me, the picture of it extended makes it look sturdy. Just like when you unscrew or pull out any crown to set or wind, you’ll have to take care.

Just like with all these new cameras and sensors on cars, it is another avenue for a failure, and CW is typically good with honoring issues/warranties in my experience. Not a warranty issue if you knock it while the crown is out though.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

ajax87 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:35 pm
strapline wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:53 pm I certainly didn't like seeing it in the out position, it looked like a wall tack, and a little flimsy. Give me a real crown any day, I see problems down the road with this. I hope CW have done their R 'n' D with this innovation/gimmick.

Des
From the review:

“On the positive side, the extended crown is robust, not wobbling around or feeling delicate”
Just three short sentences later comes this, Alex:
More importantly, however, is how well the actual push-button mechanism works. And it was, well, a bit iffy.
They were sent a prototype, but all the more reason for ensuring things are spot on. A lot of people are very excited by this watch and, as I've said elsewhere in the thread, there is much to like. It's going to be interesting to see the reviews as they work their way out there on to the inter-webby.

D
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

strapline wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm It's going to be interesting to see the reviews as they work their way out there on to the inter-webby.
Cum grano salis, as ever.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

strapline wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm
Just three short sentences later comes this, Alex:
More importantly, however, is how well the actual push-button mechanism works. And it was, well, a bit iffy.
They were sent a prototype, but all the more reason for ensuring things are spot on. A lot of people are very excited by this watch and, as I've said elsewhere in the thread, there is much to like. It's going to be interesting to see the reviews as they work their way out there on to the inter-webby.

D
I agree! Hoping for some member’s reviews here after months of ownership to show how that crown really acts. I didn’t know what to make of it being pretty production, how close it is to the production version etc... It’s quite concerning that the reviewer noted it popping open on its own though.

But I’d like to give the benefit of the doubt to CW that they wouldn’t send something out there like that, as that is definitely a warranty issue and could be a big one with the volume of these they’re seeming to have on pre order.

I’m hoping to get one of my own, so fingers crossed!
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Still no sign of an Elite out in the wilds yet, it can only be a matter of days? Very much looking forward to some real world photos and, of course, that person's thoughts on the, how shall we put this, unusual/untypical crown.

Des
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

strapline wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:55 am Still no sign of an Elite out in the wilds yet, it can only be a matter of days? Very much looking forward to some real world photos and, of course, that person's thoughts on the, how shall we put this, unusual/untypical crown.

Des
A couple people have received them and posted pics and thoughts on the CW Facebook groups.

Pics look great, reviews very good. Not sure how long I can hold off ordering my own...
Alex
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

When checking my order on the account page on the cw website mine is just showing as 'partially held'. Anyone else seeing this or have a clue what it means?
Cheers now, Paul
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:54 pm
strapline wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:55 am Still no sign of an Elite out in the wilds yet, it can only be a matter of days? Very much looking forward to some real world photos and, of course, that person's thoughts on the, how shall we put this, unusual/untypical crown.

Des
A couple people have received them and posted pics and thoughts on the CW Facebook groups.

Pics look great, reviews very good. Not sure how long I can hold off ordering my own...
Steady there young Alex! Now where do your priorities lie? I thought you were in the market for a chronograph, with a very decent-sized spend attached? You need to focus your attention, you can't be looking left and right at the same time. :lol: :lol:

Des