Is my C60 bronze raw patinaproof??

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Getothechoppa

Is my C60 bronze raw patinaproof??

Post by Getothechoppa »

I bought my C60 Trident Raw Bronze in late November of last year and I'm a bit shocked that it almost has developed no patina at all!

Granted, I haven't worn it as much and most of the time has been spent indoors, but based on other people's experiences with the previous model, I would have expected it to have at least some patina by now just from handling it, any thoughts? Is there something wrong with it?

I've attached some pictures.

PXL_20210420_160426897.jpg
PXL_20210420_160301462.jpg
PXL_20210420_160242757.jpg
PXL_20210420_160224514.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Is my C60 bronze raw patinaproof??

Post by Lavaine »

I would say your watch is showing patina, just not as quickly as you might expect. The process is subtle at first when allowed to develop naturally. I'm attaching a picture of my C60 bronze the day it arrived. The raw bronze has quite a bright, brassy shine to it. Yours has lot that shine and looks to be slowly starting to darken.
Wear it more. Let it get wet, handle it, use it. It will patina faster with use.
20200113_160059.jpg
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by rkovars »

Lavaine wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm I would say your watch is showing patina, just not as quickly as you might expect. The process is subtle at first when allowed to develop naturally. I'm attaching a picture of my C60 bronze the day it arrived. The raw bronze has quite a bright, brassy shine to it. Yours has lot that shine and looks to be slowly starting to darken.
Wear it more. Let it get wet, handle it, use it. It will patina faster with use.

Pic for comparison? I was thinking along the same lines. A pic of the watch now would show the contrast nicely I think.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Getothechoppa

Post by Getothechoppa »

Lavaine wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm I would say your watch is showing patina, just not as quickly as you might expect. The process is subtle at first when allowed to develop naturally. I'm attaching a picture of my C60 bronze the day it arrived. The raw bronze has quite a bright, brassy shine to it. Yours has lot that shine and looks to be slowly starting to darken.

Not sure why but I can't see the picture. Here's what mine looked like the day I got it:

NEW3.jpg
NEW2.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'd agree, the bronze does look like it is showing signs of oxidisation by its dulled appearance vs a raw bronze watch.

Incidentally for anyone like me who prefers the raw look of bronze, 20 minutes in a paste of lemon juice and baking powder works wonders. I put my C65 Ombre through this at the weekend at it looks absolutely as good as new.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Not sure why my photo isn't showing up. It shows for me. I'll see if I can get the photo to show later from home.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@getothechoppa - As others have said your C60 Bronze looks to be ageing gracefully.

The current pictures definitely show that the finish has dulled, but keeping it tucked up in a watch box won't help as it will protect it.

Get it out. Wear it. Get it wet; sea water is amazing for that, but rinse it off afterwards (as you should do for any watch). Enjoy it!

In time, you might well get it looking like my C60 Trident Bronze Mk2, albeit it having had some tlc and polishing to the bezel numerals.

Guy

PS> Welcome to the forum / asylum. Hope you stick around and have some fun.
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

I edited my original post, and you should be able to see the photo now.
Tortoise
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Tortoise »

^ +1 in support of what the other guys are saying.
Mine was also very slow to change but well worth the wait to let the process happen naturally IMO.
Welcome to the Forum!
Ian
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Matt tebbett has been wearing his for a while on saturday kitchen and it still looks very sparkly as well.
Great looking watch by the way. The dial is really vibrant.
Cheers now, Paul
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

When I purchased mine a year ago I kept a photographic record for a few weeks of how its patina developed. This montage shows the progress over the first three weeks with the first photo being the day of delivery.

During this sequence the wearing pattern was typical for a new watch; lots in the first week or two and then reducing as it slotted into a rotation.

Thereafter the patina basically stabilised and only darkened slightly. It’s since then been cleaned with lemon juice and the patina has returned, albeit at a slower pace as it spends more time in a watch box. The only conclusion I would draw is that the more you wear it, and particularly outdoors, the faster it will tarnish.
Tim
Getothechoppa

Post by Getothechoppa »

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the feedback guys! I feel more reassured now.
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:34 pm @getothechoppa - As others have said your C60 Bronze looks to be ageing gracefully.

The current pictures definitely show that the finish has dulled, but keeping it tucked up in a watch box won't help as it will protect it.

Get it out. Wear it. Get it wet; sea water is amazing for that, but rinse it off afterwards (as you should do for any watch). Enjoy it!

In time, you might well get it looking like my C60 Trident Bronze Mk2, albeit it having had some tlc and polishing to the bezel numerals.

Guy

PS> Welcome to the forum / asylum. Hope you stick around and have some fun.
Yours is what I want mine to look like, maybe a bit darker. But you are right, I have been keeping it in my watch box too long, so I'll leave out while I'm not wearing it from now.

I look forward to getting it wet in the ocean, but that might not happen for a while due to covid restrictions :( .
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

Basically what the others have said - it's showing the level of patina to be expected from a watch that is stored more than it's worn.

There's nothing 'wrong' with light use, but patina is a reflection of the life an object has - think of a car that spends it's life in a garage under a dust sheet compared to one that goes out every day in all weathers, or a pair of shoes that sit in a wardrobe and are saved for special occasions compared to ones worn every day for walking the dog.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
Getothechoppa

Post by Getothechoppa »

stefs wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 am Matt tebbett has been wearing his for a while on saturday kitchen and it still looks very sparkly as well.
Great looking watch by the way. The dial is really vibrant.
Thanks! I wasn't sure about the distressed dial at first, but my doubts went away once I saw it in person. I love how it changes depending on the lighting, it reminds me of the ocean, and the contrast of blue against bronze is hard to beat.
Getothechoppa

Post by Getothechoppa »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 am Basically what the others have said - it's showing the level of patina to be expected from a watch that is stored more than it's worn.

There's nothing 'wrong' with light use, but patina is a reflection of the life an object has - think of a car that spends it's life in a garage under a dust sheet compared to one that goes out every day in all weathers, or a pair of shoes that sit in a wardrobe and are saved for special occasions compared to ones worn every day for walking the dog.
Yeah, I guess I was a bit concerned because I had seen pictures of other people's bronze watches showing a considerable darker patina after a week or two of use and because some manufacturers go as far as not letting you return it if you have remove the plastic because it starts the patina process. Maybe I was expecting too much, hahaha.

But who knows, maybe those people live closer to the beach or something and in my case, even though I've worn it a fair bit, most of that time has been indoors or under a shirt/jacket when I'm outside now that I think about it.