What’s in a name?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: What’s in a name?

Post by MichaelMD »

As a CW owner of about a month and someone with no prior knowledge of the brand I have no problem with the name at all. Not sure why so many have an issue with it. It's a guy's name. To me doesn't sound any better or worse than Patek Philippe, Audemars Piquet, Jaeger Lecoultre which I believe are all just two peoples last names put together. "Christopher Ward" didn't prevent me from buying their watch. Sounds good, sounds British, it works. I mean the most famous of them all Rolex is just a made up word that they figured was recognizable and easy to pronounce in many languages.

Now the giant wording I could do without. A more simple CW logo on the center top dial would work better IMO. That's my only complaint about the name/logo.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Folks, whatever I am doing it's gonna be wrong.
If I stated that I am senior designer in Germanys third biggest marketing-/advertising agency it would have come across as advertising. I/we do not want the job to rebrand CW! And we have strict policies in our company. That´s why I registered as a PRIVATE person.
So no, I am not 'just another MadJam'. :lol:

Sorry for giving external feeback (based on my work with hundred of clients in the last 16 years) for free.

@kip feel free to just delete my postings if you find them to disturbing/negative for no reason.
Wont bother anymore.

Cheers and you all have a great day!
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Only the third biggest? :wink:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am
You appear to have a pretty high opinion of yourself and your unsubstantiated assumptions. The minute changes to end links aren’t going to drive anyone away, but that’s not a change that would likely attract the type of sales increase you’re suggesting.

Major changes like to the logo are liable to drive as many people away as attract new buyers.

You can find CW watches with the 9 o’clock name, 12 o’clock name, and a few with just the logo. I’m sure CW has ample ACTUAL data to back up how they’re running their very successful/growing business.

Get that C65 SC for yourself, put it on a strap, and smile.

Cheers, Wiggles. Erm, Seahorse.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:53 pm Folks, whatever I am doing it's gonna be wrong.
If I stated that I am senior designer in Germanys third biggest marketing-/advertising agency it would have come across as advertising. I/we do not want the job to rebrand CW! And we have strict policies in our company. That´s why I registered as a PRIVATE person.

Sorry for giving external feeback (based on my work with hundred of clients in the last 16 years) for free.

@kip feel free to just delete my postings if you find them to disturbing/negative for no reason.
Wont bother anymore.

I should think everybody else on this Forum is registered as a PRIVATE person so your statement is meaningless. It was very big of you to not charge us for your time and words.
Maybe you should have tried not writing your first 8 posts to read like a patronising big-headed know it all and either left the unsubstantiated "facts" out of the posts or provided your source as information to support the figures.
And you know who MadJam was even though you've only just started posting?

You have a good day too, shame you won't be bothering anymore.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

The branding has ever really bothered me. In fact I’m a heathen as I prefer sans serif, lef justified Christopher Ward logo to all the others...
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Did a Google search on "Germanys third biggest marketing-/advertising agency" just for the sheer hell of it!
One of the pages I went to was https://clutch.co/de/agencies
3rd on the list:
Heraldist & Wondermarks Dreamers. Makers. Troublemakers.
PMSL! :lol:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I hope this guy doesn’t buy a SC. I imagine he’ll lose his mind when he finds out +18spd is within spec and won’t result in a free regulation buy CW!

I’ll get my coat. :escape:
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

^^^ :lol:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

StrapMeister wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:21 pm
Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 am See, here's my simple calculation/opinion/guessing (wont state them as 'facts' this time - even though i pretty much do know what i am talking about).
How about introducing yourself here viewforum.php?f=6 and letting us know a little bit about you and your horological history/knowledge.

(...or are you just another MadJam!)
Pppfffttt....Wiggles is already well know on this forum, why be redundant?
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Seahorse wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:53 pm Folks, whatever I am doing it's gonna be wrong.

Wont bother anymore.

Harry & Meghan are private persons now too, apparently.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

What’s in a name?

Post by Robotaz »

I’ve said it on multiple fora, so I may be repeating myself. I like the current logo. To me, it has a Bauhaus-esque feel and look. It seems to be modern, which frequently requires people to adapt. I like it at 9:00 on watches with a 3:00 date and at 12:00 on busier dials, or dials that have nothing else. I actually like 9:00 placement on plains dials, too. It’s different.

I’m no definitive expert, but I have seen and owned countless watches from countless brands. I’ve heard all of the discussions about logos, dial clutter, weighted features, fonts, etc. I give CW two big thumbs up and would be quite comfortable if it were my brand. The logo has legs and I think appeal will grow over time, as long as they stop revising it.
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

The branding aspects of the name and logo make a firm more memorable but for me ultimately it is the quality or value of the product that sells me or dissuades me. And, yes, I too studied marketing in school as so many others - yawn. This line of argument has amused me though now it is starting to get boring.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair