Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Two Thoughts

Post by Peteo »

I've been mostly missing for the last few years (it's good to be back :wave: ), but I have occasionally checked in on the CWL inventory during that time. I've got two thoughts that come to mind.

CW Calibres
I have to say that I am a little disappointed in the models that are currently on offer that use the JJ movements or the SH21. I hope there will be other models in the future. Maybe I should have pulled the trigger when the C65 Diver LE was around. C1 Worldtimer looks nice, but it's too big and the C1 Morgan Chronometer just doesn't do it for me. What's the best looking model with a CW movement so far?

Oh My, Now that Looks Nice!
But honestly, maybe it doesn't matter because, man, I am digging the C65 Super Compressor. I am the desk jockey of all desk jockeys, so I will never ever need any of the actual kit that the Super Compressor offers, but man, it looks cool. Should I get one? Of course I should.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Two Thoughts

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I guess when you've been away and come back, you notice things with a different perspective than many of us who've been around a lot of the time.

Best looking watch with a CW movement? One I don't own, the new C1 Worldglow, it seems the black/red colourway is very much in vogue at the moment.

I think you'll find a lot of love for the C65 SH21 LE but my up front favourite, which I do own, is the C8 M2.04 Concorde LE. Handwound SH21 with a unique dial.

I'm not sure if you have found it yet but all CW watches can be found, by movement, in the CWArchive. There's a surprising array.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by bonecrusher »

I don't understand why CW don't offer a non-limited C60 with their own movement. I have just bought a standard C60, black dial, steel strap. But it obviously has the SW200 in it. Nothing wrong with that. but to my mind it is only 90% CW, needs an in-house movement to feel 100%.
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

Welcome back :wave:
(albeit you were here well before me!)
It's interesting to hear your perspective :thumbup:

From a personal point of view, I'm sure that there will be the use of the in-house SH21 movement in the future - for what? who knows!

There is indeed a lot of love for the C65 SH21 LE but I actually prefer the C65 Trident Diver Bronze SH21 LE Manual https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... 40d612f5c/ (I find it less busy and a better balanced dial).

Best looking watch with a CW movement?
That's a tough one!
I agree with Guy that it seems the black/red colourway is very much in vogue at the moment.
The one that springs to mind, as being the best/special, is probably, for me, the C7 Apex LE https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... c2229b3a9/
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Interesting topic.

The best looking watch with a CW movement is undoubtedly the C1 Moonglow for me. JJ04 of course, not SH21. I've never bought one because I just don't need it. The Moon Phase would be decorative rather than useful to me. My collection is in a sort of "satis stasis" right now, so I can afford to be picky.

As far as the SH21 is concerned, I haven't liked most of the watches per se enough to warrant it. I found the C1 Grand Malvern a bit bland, for example, at a time when I didn't need another dress watch. The one I do like is the C65 SH21 LE, but again I didn't buy it because I didn't need another C65 (or diver, period) as I already had the hand-wound version.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

bonecrusher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:28 am I don't understand why CW don't offer a non-limited C60 with their own movement.
My thoughts exactly. It seems like a no brainer to me that CW would offer their flagship watch with their flagship, in-house movement.

As for the best looking CW with the SH21 movement, for me it’s undoubtedly the C9 5 Day Small Second! It’s beautiful.
Drew
Richard D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Richard D »

I’m probably in the minority, no I am m the minority. Nothing of the current SH21 or JJ watches interest me. Of the current lineup I have added the C65 GMT Pepsi to my collection, I guess that’s the best compliment I can make.
Richard

‘A gas station owned by Harland Sanders was the site of the first KFC in 1930. Motorists were served fried chicken at his own dining-room table.’
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 pm
As for the best looking CW with the SH21 movement, for me it’s undoubtedly the C9 5 Day Small Second! It’s beautiful.
This gets my vote too. I waited a long time for this one.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:49 am
I think you'll find a lot of love for the C65 SH21 LE but my up front favourite, which I do own, is the C8 M2.04 Concorde LE. Handwound SH21 with a unique dial.

I'm not sure if you have found it yet but all CW watches can be found, by movement, in the CWArchive. There's a surprising array.
Thanks, Guy! I did know about the archive, but I didn't know that it had a handy filter for the movements. I know the website had it at one point for the current inventory, but it seems to have lost that feature?

I agree that the C65 SH21 LE is a beaut. I was definitely tempted to pull the trigger on it a couple of times over the last little while. Oh well, at this point, I guess.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

bonecrusher wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:28 am I don't understand why CW don't offer a non-limited C60 with their own movement.
My thoughts exactly. It seems like a no brainer to me that CW would offer their flagship watch with their flagship, in-house movement.

Agreed on the C60. Not sure why they don't make that move? Issue of supply?
Peteo
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

Kip wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:17 pm
This gets my vote too. I waited a long time for this one.
It's definitely a nice one!
Peteo
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Peteo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:48 am Issue of supply?
That seems like a reasonable guess. Perhaps offer it as a semi-bespoke watch at a significant premium? Allow the option for an exhibition case back, perhaps a custom serial #, maybe an engraving (as in a date or a brief phrase on the back, not decorative engraving of the movement). All packaged in something extra special. I’m sure there are customers for such a service/product.
Drew
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Peteo »

jkbarnes wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:55 am
Peteo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:48 am Issue of supply?
That seems like a reasonable guess. Perhaps offer it as a semi-bespoke watch at a significant premium? Allow the option for an exhibition case back, perhaps a custom serial #, maybe an engraving (as in a date or a brief phrase on the back, not decorative engraving of the movement). All packaged in something extra special. I’m sure there are customers for such a service/product.
If it is an issue of supply, then this could definitely be one way to do it. Maybe they are trying to not put all of their eggs in the Trident shaped basket? Or maybe they are cognizant of not being "just another steel sports watch" on the market? The market in general has proven that it will pay extra for an in house movement in a steel sports watch.

At least, this member of the market certainly would. :wave:
Peteo
bonecrusher
Senior
Senior

Post by bonecrusher »

The black C60 42mm on bracelet is CW's "submariner". I don't mean it is a similar watch to the submariner (although of course it is being a black diver), but rather for me at least, it is the watch that defines them, the watch that will always be in their line up, and will (probably) always be the one that out-sells all others.

I think they need two versions of it, a base SW200 so they can stay true to their roots offering affordable quality, plus a "chronometer" version using the SH21, visually identical aside from slightly thicker and marginally different wording on the face. Priced below £2,000, it would offer Tudor levels of quality and interest for almost half the price.

The base model is fine, but I think the massive improvements in case quality with the mk3 have rather left behind the movement. In essence, they are no longer perfect for each other. One is on another level to the other. The watch deserves an in-house movement in its standard guise, not in "stealth" or with lots of orange, or with a skeletonised face or other novelty, but in steel and black.

This is the watch that should lead the line, the star striker, the one that everyone wants.

(and obviously with the brand at 12 not 9 - sorry, i'll get my coat)
James

CW Trident mk3
CW AMGT 2VEV
Sinn 103 a sa b
Too many Seikos
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^It's comforting to know that everyone wants a 42 mm black dive watch. I was starting to lose my faith in humanity there.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)