C65 AM GT LE vs the VEV editions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

C65 AM GT LE vs the VEV editions

Post by jkbarnes »

The VEV thread has been an interesting one to follow in terms of the interest in these two new offerings. I looked back over the thread when the AM GT LE was introduced, a model nearly identical to these two new models (superior even if you ask me, but I’m biased!) at the same price point. My read of both threads suggest to me that the two VEV models are generating more positive buzz and interest than the original AM GT LE did, which I find quite interesting. I base this on the nature of the comments and the speed with which the threads grew.

I’m curious why the new models might be generating more positive reactions than the AM GT LE? Same cases, practically identical dials, remarkably similar feature sets, same price points. I’d give the GT LE the advantage because it has a COSC movement at the same price.

So what is it about the VEV models? The black bezel? Or simply a different set of forum members compared to the last thread? Or maybe I’m wrong in my interpretation?

Thoughts?
Drew
nburgess
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 AM GT LE vs the VEV editions

Post by nburgess »

It's definitely the black bezel for me.
I really liked the original when it was released, but held off because of the s/s bezel.
I do kind of wish they'd made a few more little design changes, to differentiate between the 2 releases a bit more. As has been mentioned a few times previously...it's a little off-putting for owners of the AM GT LE to hear there's a new model which is pretty much the same.
I'm still looking forward to receiving my 2 VEV though
Neil
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by ajax87 »

I’m on the same page as you, Andrew.

I recall from the new release thread only seeing one person order the 1 VEV, and everyone else ordering the black bezel 2 VEV. The 1 VEV is way too close to the AM GT in my opinion. I can’t imagine why they made it; raiding the spare parts bin, maybe?

I don’t own an AM GT and I won’t own these, but I was surprised CW released these after seeming to explicitly state the AM GT was the last quartz offering. Furthermore, the 1 VEV is so dang similar to the AM GT that it kind of dilutes the limited-ness of the AM GT LE.

I think CW would have been better off just offering the 2 VEV. Or spend just a few minutes on a new design for the 1 VEV. Maybe a red bezel for that one.

Still, quite a few happy customers here. And if they’re happy and CW is happy, then I’m happy.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

C65 AM GT = Date, tenths of second timer, both center stop seconds and minutes hands plus a 12 hour timer and a normal seconds sub dial. ETA 251.264 COSC movement. Stainless Steel bezel

C65 AM 1 VEV = Date, tenths of a second timer, center stop seconds, 30 minute sub dial and a normal seconds sub dial. ETA 251.274 movement. Stainless Steel bezel.

C65 AM 2 VEV = Date, tenths of second timer, both center stop seconds and minutes hands plus a 12 hour timer and a normal seconds sub dial. ETA 251.233 movement. Black aluminum bezel.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Black bezel just seems to make a difference but the original was still very good indeed
Cheers now, Paul
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Whilst I like all three styles, I am drawn to the black bezel and having both second and minute centre hands for the stopwatch :thumbup:
C1 - Bel Canto, Grand Malvern 5 Day
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C65 - Cranwell, Super Compressor
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Omega - Aqua Terra, SMP Nekton
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JasperCat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:44 am I am drawn to ... having both second and minute centre hands for the stopwatch :thumbup:
Same here. A big appeal of the AM GT LE was the central minute counter. Very necessary to make the watch useful with my aging eyes!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

nburgess wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:26 pm ...it's a little off-putting for owners of the AM GT LE to hear there's a new model which is pretty much the same.
I’m not bothered by new models looking so much like the AM GT LE, so much as I am them being quartz. Part of the appeal of the AM GT LE for me was that it was supposedly the last quartz model to be offered.

ajax87 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:24 pm ...but I was surprised CW released these after seeming to explicitly state the AM GT was the last quartz offering. Furthermore, the 1 VEV is so dang similar to the AM GT that it kind of dilutes the limited-ness of the AM GT LE.
That’s what bothers me. CW was pretty explicit in saying the AM GT LE was the last quartz. It’s disappointing to see that’s not the case. I emailed Mike France tonight to express just that.

As for diluting the limited-ness of the AM GT LE, I don’t quite feel that way since the VEVs are themselves limited runs. Now if CW released them as standard models with quartz movements I’d be through the roof!

When one considers quite a few LE watches hung around for years before selling out or moving to the clearance bin, it’s pretty impressive that the AM GT LE sold out in a few months. I guess one can’t blame CW for introducing some new variants.
Drew
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:49 am
JasperCat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:44 am I am drawn to ... having both second and minute centre hands for the stopwatch :thumbup:
Same here. A big appeal of the AM GT LE was the central minute counter. Very necessary to make the watch useful with my aging eyes!
Exactly same reason for me :lol:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

While I was somewhat unhappy to see the two new offerings, I did like the 2VEV because of the black bezel. But, the AM GT LE is superior to me because of the stainless steel bezel, and the ETA 251.264 COSC movement. If I had unlimited funds I would go ahead and purchase the 2VEV, but I think the Sandhurst on the bracelet would beat it out. In fact, I'm sure it would. I also have the C7 COSC chronograph, which suffers from legibility issues because of the steel hands and numerals. In my mind, the AM GT LE repaired those issues, which was why I bought it. The 1VEV and the 2VEV do the same thing. Like Andrew, I think I have the best of the lot.

Cheers, everyone. :)
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Why doesn't the CW website show the 1 VEV with the black/red hybrid?
Do they allocate only a certain number of watches per bracelet or strap?
JasperCat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JasperCat »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 am Why doesn't the CW website show the 1 VEV with the black/red hybrid?
They tend to offer combinations that in their opinion work well together... I have to say that most of the time I agree with their choices :thumbup:

That’s not to say you can’t put the black/red hybrid on the stainless steel bezel variant.

I fully intend to move my 2 VEV (black bezel) onto a black/red hybrid I already own, as I think that combination looks amazing... however, using the discount code with the bracelet meant it was better value to buy that variant and gives me the bracelet option when required :thumbup:
C5 - FLE
C60 - Concept
C9 - 5 Day Small Seconds
Breitling - SuperOcean
Rolex - Air King
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

Spot on !

JasperCat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 am Why doesn't the CW website show the 1 VEV with the black/red hybrid?
They tend to offer combinations that in their opinion work well together... I have to say that most of the time I agree with their choices :thumbup:

That’s not to say you can’t put the black/red hybrid on the stainless steel bezel variant.

I fully intend to move my 2 VEV (black bezel) onto a black/red hybrid I already own, as I think that combination looks amazing... however, using the discount code with the bracelet meant it was better value to buy that variant and gives me the bracelet option when required :thumbup:
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

^^Thanks for the replies.

And that's why I don't work at CW because I thought the black/red hybrid would look good on the 1 VEV, even though it doesn't have the black bezel to immediately co-ordinate the colour black of a strap to the watch.

I have to admit to being confused initially by the sub-dial and hand differences across the AM GT and the 2 x VEVs so thank you to Kip for listing the differences in such a concise way.

And now, even though I'm not buying any, I'm more drawn to the original AM GT. Initially I thought seriously about buying the 2 VEV black bezel version but in the end decided against buying any. Now having looked more at all 3 watches it's the sub-dials and hands of the AM GT that I prefer but also the steel bezel as this IMO gives the watch an older more classic look and somehow reduces the size and also busyness of the full dial.

Just shows how even the small differences across these 3 watches make each of them unique in their own way.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Last night I sent an email to Mike France to share with him my disappointment in discovering the AM GT LE is not the last quartz offered CW, despite being marketed as such. I expressed to him that this was a factor in me buying the watch - a landmark watch, being the last quartz, to celebrate a landmark event.

I wasn’t at all whiny or mean spirited with my comments, and certainly wasn’t asking for CW to make good on this in some way. I just felt CW needed to know that this latest release didn’t sit well with some because of previous claims made.

I woke up this morning to find a very lovely reply from Mike. In short, he said they had intended the AM GT LE to be the last quartz offered. But when they couldn’t sell additional quartz movements they had on hand, they decided to use them in watches. One can’t argue with that from a business stand point, and it is a business after all.

I’m impressed he took the time to reply so quickly. Being a weekend, I didn’t expect to hear anything until Monday at the earliest. So hats off to Mike France for taking the time to respond thoughtfully and quickly to my email! It’s done quite a bit to ameliorate the disappointment I felt because of the new releases.
Drew